Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 no spark

Old 11-30-2016, 02:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 no spark

So I posted here before and got some help with my 2003 KFX80 ... well now my 2000 LT80 is acting up.

Daughter ran it fine around the house one day last weekend. Parked it and the next day it would not start. Found that 1. The fuel hose was leaking right where is attaches to the petcock (replaced that) and 2. I was not getting any spark.

Started taking parts off the 2000 and trying them on the 2003 to find the bad part. Well, from the plug all the way through the CDI works on the 2003, but nothing on the 2000.

So does that mean that the only real thing left would be the stator or the wires coming from the stator?

Anything else I should check?

Could the leaking gas have impacted the stator function?

What do I need to do to pull the stator?
I saw another post that mentioned using a puller to remove the fly wheel. Do I need to pull the quad apart or can I open up the right side with it still on the bike? Then remove the fan, pull the fly wheel and replace the stator?

Thanks,
Jason

Old 11-30-2016, 05:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

"open up the right side with it still on the bike? Then remove the fan, pull the fly wheel and replace the stator?"
Yes, that's how. You'll need a 2 prong type puller.
I'd look under the hood to see if it came unplugged for some weird reason. Then I'd ohm the stator. 173 +/- 20%. (red/black wire)
coil/cdi 12-17.5

Old 11-30-2016, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great thanks! I just saw another post where you suggested cleaning the stator/fly wheel and someone said they found it a mess.

I will certainly double check all the wires and run some resistance tests before I open it up.

Very weird to just stop working suddenly over night.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, turned out that the aftermarket lanyard safety switch (that we just had wrapped around the handle bars) was not fully depressing and thus the ignition pulse was being grounded.

Happy to find an easy fix .. which I really should have found sooner

Old 12-05-2016, 06:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

That's why we went to the pro-design type of tether.
Glad you found it tho.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ah, I see ... those look more like the Jetski tethers.

I could see there was a dent in the little rubber piece that was supposed to push the button, like the rubber just deformed from constantly pushing on the button. Poor design.