Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 startfailure

Old 03-05-2017, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So to be clear on oil injection and fuel mixture...additional oil does not richen the mixture...it just adds more oil to the already atomized fuel for lubrication. 2 stroke oil is designed to be burned as it lubricates the crankcase on the 1st stroke and then gets burnt with the fuel mixture on the 2nd stroke.

Modern 2 strokes use little to no oil at idle then add oil as the load on the engine increase (hence why oil pumps are attached to the crank and are rpm sensitive)...this has nothing to do with air/fuel ratio and jetting...the oil is lubricating the crank and pins...not the combustion chamber...

But this is also why pre-mix works as well...at idle there is very little fuel and thus little oil as well...as you hit the throttle more fuel is delivered as well as more oil...more or less the same way an oil pump works...but far more reliable...of course...

Old 03-06-2017, 12:49 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm with you on that one. As I wrote, on this machine from 98-ish I don't completely trust the oilinjector to handle all the lubrication so I always add 1% oil in the fueltank as well. My thought was to remove it and only go with mixed fuel in the tank to be on the safe side.

Old 03-07-2017, 10:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pre-mix as well...but the oil pumps are very reliable...29 years and mine was still doing the job...