Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Eton 40e no spark, need help, driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 11:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton 40e no spark, need help, driving me nuts

New here but lurked for answers many times on here.

Bought a used Eton 40e for my daughter without spark. Thought I'd be able to work through it but no luck so far.

So far the handlebar switch is working fine. The key switch is good. The starter button activates the starter. I have info from an Eton service manual that provided specs for the ignition pick up coil, that appears good. I get confusing and conflicting specs and info depending on the Eton document I look at. The manuals say one thing and the service bulletins say something different. There's an online service manual for the vipers, 50cc -90cc. But the info seems to not apply to the 40e.

I checked the voltage from the stator ( a/c generator) on the white / red wire and I'm getting 9volts +- with the starter turning the engine over (spark plug removed). I'm not getting any identifiable voltage on the white / red wire at the voltage regulator. The wiring diagram shows the white / red wire going straight from the stator to the regulator. The harness wires appears good though.

One wiring diagram for the 40e shows a 5 wire CDI, another shows a 4 wire CDI. Mine is the 4 wire version.

I'm losing my mind and don't want to just throw parts at it (or $). The level of document support for these machines is pathetic and often contradicts themselves. The service bulletins / manual describe a testing manner but use different terms for items on different documents. The specs ( voltages, ohms etc) also vary depending on the source of info.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 02-16-2017, 03:13 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

I rather think the 40cc machine has a DC ignition system like a car. The wiring diagram should show if the CDI is powered from the battery or stator. If it is DC, all you need is positive and negative into the CDI plus a signal pulse from the trigger coil, this generates a 12v signal (usually negative) from CDI to ignition coil, which sends high tension to the plug. If you think info on Etons is poor, try getting some for no name Chinese machines.

Old 02-24-2017, 03:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Merryman, thanks for replying. I have been busy as crap all week and hope to get back on this thing this weekend. Kind of surprised no one else chimed in. Through searches, i see that there have been numerous people with the same issue with this machine. Surely some of them were eventually fixed. I am too deep to quite now so i will press on. Hopefully Ill have some more results this weekend sometime.