Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 Clutch Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 11:00 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 Clutch Maintenance

I am new to the variator clutch and drive world. What do I do from this point for proper maintenance of the entire assembly?

Attached Thumbnails LT80 Clutch Maintenance-rsz_pic1.jpg   LT80 Clutch Maintenance-rsz_pic2.jpg   LT80 Clutch Maintenance-rsz_pic3.jpg  
Old 10-02-2017, 03:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Remove the plastic oil pump drive from the crankshaft, use a 17mm socket and impact to remove the front and rear clutch nuts.
Front: remove the spring washer and the fixed face. Remove the big washer. Then pull on the variator. Sometimes they are tight and need pried on a lil. Remove the 3 screws and the cover. Remove the roller cover and rollers. Clean all well.
Look for flat spots on the rollers, gouges in the roller tracts, also check the roller plate for wear. Rock hard grease may be in there. Dig it out.
Rear: Pull assembly off. Lightly sand the contact pads (in lil circular motions) to break the glaze. Check the bearings. These go bad a lot. Not much else to do usually.
Lightly sand the front outer fixed face to break the glaze.
I use a dab of grease to help hold the rollers in place during installation. Make triple sure you have the notch on the roller plate aligned with the key on the crankshaft.

Old 10-02-2017, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To add to Jack's commentary...make sure you use the correct Philips on the 3 screws...not fun to strip one of those.

And hopefully you don't find this:

Attached Thumbnails LT80 Clutch Maintenance-img_2006.jpg   LT80 Clutch Maintenance-img_2007.jpg  
Old 10-02-2017, 09:51 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So the rollers may have dried grease. Do I not grease them when re-installing?

Originally Posted by LT80
Remove the plastic oil pump drive from the crankshaft, use a 17mm socket and impact to remove the front and rear clutch nuts.
Front: remove the spring washer and the fixed face. Remove the big washer. Then pull on the variator. Sometimes they are tight and need pried on a lil. Remove the 3 screws and the cover. Remove the roller cover and rollers. Clean all well.
Look for flat spots on the rollers, gouges in the roller tracts, also check the roller plate for wear. Rock hard grease may be in there. Dig it out.
Rear: Pull assembly off. Lightly sand the contact pads (in lil circular motions) to break the glaze. Check the bearings. These go bad a lot. Not much else to do usually.
Lightly sand the front outer fixed face to break the glaze.
I use a dab of grease to help hold the rollers in place during installation. Make triple sure you have the notch on the roller plate aligned with the key on the crankshaft.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I use a dab of grease to help hold it in place during installation.
If it's like Dirtdevils pics, you'll need some new parts.