Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Lifan or Piranha for TRX90?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 03:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifan or Piranha for TRX90?

Seems more economical to buy a complete motor than to upgrade the stock TRX90 motor. I also figure we will have the stocker as a backup in case somethings happens to the china motor.

Does anyone have experience with the Lifan and Piranha? I would like to make the best choice as far as increase in power as well as longevity and dependability.

Any input and advice will be much appreciated.

Old 11-06-2017, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

My advice is simple. Avoid the Chinese knock offs that claim to have the same engine as a Honda, Suzuki, etc. They use cheaper materials and less exacting machining. In other words you will have to learn to be a really good mechanic if you buy a Chinese quad or engine. They are not the same. I bought a Chinese quad for one of my sons. It was constantly having problems. Never again.

The following users liked this post:
Mechano1979 (07-11-2019)
Old 11-06-2017, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

I might just do carb, cam and pipe on the stock motor. I am just having a hard time finding a basic package that has those 3 things.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:01 AM
Range Rover
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My sister's cousin's boyfriend's son in law's kid had a Chinese quad that exploded in fireball every time he started it up. Pure junk! I'll only buy American made ATVs after hearing that.

Actually my Chinese motorcycle engine experience over the last 10 years and 70,000 miles has been wholly positive. These are all Lifan and Taotao vertical 200cc-250cc and Lifan horizontal 110cc and 140cc. The 140 would be great in a small quad but isn't available with electric start.

Old 11-07-2017, 06:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by hugemoth
My sister's cousin's boyfriend's son in law's kid had a Chinese quad that exploded in fireball every time he started it up. Pure junk! I'll only buy American made ATVs after hearing that.

Actually my Chinese motorcycle engine experience over the last 10 years and 70,000 miles has been wholly positive. These are all Lifan and Taotao vertical 200cc-250cc and Lifan horizontal 110cc and 140cc. The 140 would be great in a small quad but isn't available with electric start.
LOL. I have talked with a few people that have had nothing but good experiences with the Lifan and Piranha motors. I found out there are clearance issues with the E-start in the TRX90. I am looking into the Takegawa Privateer kit. Race head, bigger valves, cam and carb. Bolts on with no clearance issues and allows use of stock airbox.

Thanks for the feedback.