Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

2000 - LT80 - After rebuild issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 09:49 PM
Trailblazer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed the plugs and all ran fine for about 5 min then it died at half throttle. Plug really wet i guess running too rich.

would i just adjust the clip on the needle? Or is there some other issue?
i rebuilt the mikuni carb and put that on and it ran well for quite awhile.

Old 08-21-2018, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do/verify a couple things:

1) ensure the main jet is around stock (92.5)
2) move the needle clip to the middle
3) take a good look at your reed cage if you haven't done that (looking for cracked reeds)
4) ensure the slide in the carb is functioning properly - with your finger, make sure it's almost completely closed without throttle and completely open at WOT
5) ensure the needle jet is installed correctly (if up to high it will cause this symptom)
6) run it with no load (lift rear end and see how it responds through the throttle range)

Old 08-21-2018, 12:02 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by DirtDevil101

3) take a good look at your reed cage if you haven't done that (looking for cracked reeds)
4) ensure the slide in the carb is functioning properly - with your finger, make sure it's almost completely closed without throttle and completely open at WOT
5) ensure the needle jet is installed correctly (if up to high it will cause this symptom)
6) run it with no load (lift rear end and see how it responds through the throttle range)
Thanks DirtDevil I'll keep poking away at it. Once I'll pull the clutch anyways, even with no load on the tires it started to bog quickly after installing a new plug.

Would the 2 stroke oil I run cause this? I am using some 2 stroke snowmobile oil, low smoke. Seemed like when it acts up I get more smoke than usual

Old 08-21-2018, 12:12 PM
Trailblazer

I am pretty sure the clip is one above center. On the chinese carb I got, next to the idle screw is another screw, I can't tell what it does but it was very loose, the stock mikuni didn't have this screw.

Old 08-21-2018, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider

That may be an A/F screw (air/fuel mixture)...if it is a A/F screw you should seat it lightly and turn out 2 to 2.5 turns as a baseline starting point...

I don't think the sled oil is causing your issues...just make sure it's of decent quality. It's smoking more because there is more un-burnt fuel...

Are you still running it with the oil injection?

Old 08-21-2018, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer

That may be an A/F screw (air/fuel mixture)...if it is a A/F screw you should seat it lightly and turn out 2 to 2.5 turns as a baseline starting point...

I don't think the sled oil is causing your issues...just make sure it's of decent quality. It's smoking more because there is more un-burnt fuel...

Are you still running it with the oil injection?
yes both bikes are still running the oil injection. Seems to be working fine.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:57 AM
Trailblazer

So last night I swapped in the needle from the rebuilt kit as I noticed the chinese carb one was a different size, I also set the clip in the middle instead of one notch up. it ran quite well for awhile, idled nice.
My buddy has some ultrasonic carb cleaner thing, so I'll pull the Mikuni off again and get it cleaned with that. I can't remember if I put the black little boot thing that goes over the jets in the bowl, so I'll have to check that.

Now to figure out the 87 which it fouled the plug. It had been running for a few months with no issues, I might just put a new plug in for now as the 2000 is more my project to get back to "reliable". I probably should order some clutch rollers for the 2000. I removed 2 of them as they were pretty flat on the sides. The others aren't too bad.

Old 08-29-2018, 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

I use the iridium plugs...have not fouled one yet...

Old 08-29-2018, 12:03 PM
Trailblazer

I use the iridium plugs...have not fouled one yet...
Great, thank you, running the NGK BPR7HS , i'll give the iridiums a try, hope I can find them here in canada.

I put the stock rebuilt carb on instead of using the Chinese one, seems to run better.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:13 PM
Trailblazer

Just ordered some form clubplug.ca for all you Canadians

Quick Reply: 2000 - LT80 - After rebuild issues