Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

SP 90 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 10:25 AM
Sue
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SP 90 won't start

The SP 90 the kids got for Xmas lasted for 2 days and won't start now.

I worked yesterday so I wasn't there to see what it was doing when it stopped. The SP 90 has had approx 2.5 tanks of fuel run thru it and I had turned the throttle limit screw down to limit speed.

The kids had been running thru some shallow water puddles and have not been in any deep water. They claim it had stopped couple of times and they let it set and it restarted.

I let it set overnight and looked at it this morning breifly before work. I pulled air filter and it had a trace of water settled into the bottom of filter and I could see where some water came down the snorkle. The filter was not loaded with water and there doesn't seem to be a drain for filter housing. I pulled spark plug and motor still has compression and plug looked very rich, of course been cranking on it and I thought it had flooded with gas. I cranked motor without filter to get some fresh air and it will not start.

I didn't have time this morning to check for spark, which is my next step.
IF no spark, what are some possible causes on SP 90 for no spark ?

Does anybody have any similar experiences on SP 90 ?

I really don't think it took much water at all and don't want to make trip back to dealership yet.

Old 12-27-2002, 12:42 PM
Sue
Trailblazer

OK, I called dealership and they say spark plug is probably fouled and it is common when throttle limiter is used. So, I will change plug and get some extra plugs to carry with me.

Old 12-27-2002, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks Sue .... I bought my son an '03 sp90 this month .... no probs yet ... he's only run a tank and a half though is .... Now, being the father I am ... I removed the jumper from the CDI as soon as I bought it ..... so far so good ......

Chris

Post the results of your plug replacement.... THnaks

Old 12-27-2002, 03:30 PM
Sue
Trailblazer

Changed the plug at lunch and it didn't help. No fire to the plug.

Looks like it will be going back to the dealer. I am using this as a learning experience to the kids about riding responsibly and taking care of equipment. They must have hit water too fast too many times and got something electrical wet somewhere. My wife was with them and obviously didn't think hitting the water so fast was a problem.

The air filter, carb, spark plug, electric parts, etc... is wide open between the front wheels and I would like to see more protection and was concerned about this area regarding water, mud, etc....

I may make some shields for front end area to control splash

Old 12-27-2002, 03:44 PM
Trailblazer

Once again good info ... my son and I rode though serveral creeks last weekend, some over his floorboards .... still no problem with his SP90 ... now, I did warn him if he gets wet, the ride is over. The temp was around 40 Degrees here .... I wonder if sheilding the engine might cause it to heat-up? Regardless, it looks like it needs addressed ... keep me posted ..

Thanks,
Chris

Old 12-27-2002, 04:02 PM
Sue
Trailblazer

Chris,

I was surprised how much the kids DIDN"T get wet after 2 long days of riding. The fenders do a good job keeping the rider clean, just not the motor.

They have really enjoyed riding the SP 90 and I thought my oldest (12) would be riding the Mag 325 more, but he kept getting back on the SP 90.

I hope I just have an small isolated problem and curious to see about the warranty.

Old 12-27-2002, 08:41 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A boy that rides with me and my son had one do the same thing it was the CDI and the dealer told them that it was a bad batch of CDI units if you can believe him.This was a 02 model but it was warrantied and they have had no more trouble .

Old 12-30-2002, 10:32 AM
Sue
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info about the CDI. I hope that is correct about a bad batch of CDIs and hopefully we won't have any more problems.

BUT, it has been a good learning experience for the kids and they have slowed down going thru the water on the Mag 325 now.

I would still like to shield side of engine where filter is and don't think it would cause a cooling problem since everything is so open in front. I could see filter housing getting hit by stick, rock, etc.. and letting dirt and water in. I also plan to extend snorkle for filter and PVT to a protected area. The kids did get some water in filter housing by hitting water fast and splashing water up into snorkle which is inside fender. They have not been in any deep water.

Old 12-31-2002, 10:09 AM
Sue
Trailblazer

The dealer called yesterday and the problem on the SP 90 was the stator.

FYI

Old 12-31-2002, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Glad you got it fixed. When this happened to my kid's SP90 it was bad scoring on the piston and cylinder caused by dirt that got past the filter. I replaced it with an oversized piston and cylinder kit (making it a 110cc), but told the kids "no more mud puddles."

My 12 year old, who lost interest in it when it was a 90 has regained interest now that it has more power. He's learning to do wheelies on it (shudders).

Quick Reply: SP 90 won't start