Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

First ATV for son

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2003, 11:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First ATV for son

I am getting ready to buy ATV's for me and my 9 year old son. He has experience riding a Polaris 400 Sportsman on the ranch on flat land and slow.

I'm leaning to getting the Polaris Sportsman 90 for my son. We will be riding them on public and private trails around Texas and in the New Mexico mountains.

Do you experienced riders and dads/moms think the Sportsman 90 is a good choice for my son?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Old 01-13-2003, 05:07 AM
Pro Rider

i'm not sure on the polaris 2 minis besides that i noticed there a bit bigger which good be good how old is your son?
i used to have a lt80 which is a awesome little 2stroke mini - i'm guessing it would be faster then a predator/sportsman 90
another solid mini is the honda fortraxx 90
just watch out with minis cause theres a lot out there and some of them aren't the greatest

Old 01-13-2003, 06:02 AM
Range Rover

I bought the Kasea Skyhawk 50 for my 7 year old daughter. This little quad is awesome. I wish I had something like that when I was little.

My main reason was that it has a footbrake and most of the others don't. I want her to get used to using her foot so when it's time for a bigger quad, she will be used to it. Also, I know that she can stop it on a dime. The handbrakes are too big for her small hands.

The construction is very nice. This little thing is built tough. I did alot of research before buying and heard that the a-arms on the Polaris are one of it's weaknesses. It is actually a Tiawanese quad with the Polaris name on it. I'm not sure if the a-arms break from jumping or what, I would check that out though.

As far as hop-up, I know the Kasea has parts available to make it a 105cc as well as aftermarket shocks & pipe. We should get alot of use out of this $1800 investment! Check out the aftermarket parts available before you buy...you know it's only a matter of time before they want to go faster!

Do some research to know what's available to build up the quad and you won't have to make this post:
Please Help! I can't find any hop-up parts for my __________!
Just something to think about!

Old 01-13-2003, 10:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The above reply is exactly why you should consider the LT80.Bulletproof stock and modded!
No reason to buy pipes and carbs,this and that. A simple 4-500$ engine kit will make junior zoom around the track,dunes,trails,etc. when ready.
Good Luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-13-2003, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

All the mini's have hop-ups available. I've no experiance with the LT-80 but I've heard that the tranny being part of the rear swingarm can pose a problem.

The sportsman 90 is a fine machine (it's actually made by Aeon and is similar to many other mini's in parts). My son's have enjoyed theres, which I upgraded to a 110cc's for only $125 (I had to, they damaged the original cylindar). For another $1000 I could add an aftermarket pipe, wider A-arms, longer swing-arm, wider rear axel and modify the tranny to allow for quicker accelleration and higher top speed. Don't know that I'll bother, though. It does over 30mph now and that's plenty fast for the kids who ride it (and too fast for some, who ride it "limited").

If I had to buy again today, however, I'd probably opt for the Kasea Skyhawk 90.

Old 01-13-2003, 01:53 PM
Trailblazer

I just bought my 9 year old son a 2003 E-ton Yukon 150. He went from an E-ton lightning 50 to this one. I didn't have problem one with the 50, and actually it is still in the family (my neice rides it now). My son is almost 90# and has been riding since he was 5. It is a four stroke which offers very good predictable power and lots of it at the lower end, and like the 50 and 90 cc minis, there is an adjustable throttle stop to keep them from going too fast. With the good luck I had with the first E-ton, I didn't think twice about buying another one. I also found a dealer on E-bay that sells them BRAND new for about $400 less than any dealer around where I live. They have very reasonable shipping rates too.

Old 01-13-2003, 02:13 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked the Honda TRX 90, because it is the most worthy machine I could find for cross-country riding. Most any bike is OK for play riding on flat ground, but they can't cut it when you get out on the trail. My son rides EVERYWHERE with me, including places I go on the 4X4. When the rocks are to big, we just pick his bike up and carry it.

Old 01-13-2003, 07:41 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

I still push the Yamaha Breeze for kids that know how to ride for lots of reasons 1. it is 4stroke 2. automatic 3.reverse 4.headlight 5.big enough to keep up with the adults but small enough for him to handle. I have had one for 2 years and all thats been done is brakes and I adjusted the valves once. Great machine.

Old 01-13-2003, 08:31 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

The thing about the LT-80 and Breeze, is no engine braking. Kids will hit the brake and lock up the back end and get sideways. Even adults have trouble modulating a brake on a nasty downhill. I just tell the kids to put it in 1st gear and let the engine walk you down the hill.

Old 01-13-2003, 09:26 PM
Trailblazer

I disagree. My son has been on an automatic from day one, and he downhills fine.