Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Age restrictions on cc size

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Age restrictions on cc size

I understand the age limits on the size engine a kid can "safely" ride, but what is the big deal with this and the dealers? Why do they get so uptight if you mention you are going to put a 9 year old kid on a 90cc ATV?

We've been riding for years on family owned ranch land. My son has been driving a Polaris 400 Sportsman (slow and on flat land of course). I'm wanting to get him something smaller that he can manage to ride with me in the mountains and on all the private owned trails that are available now.

I know they are trying to avoid lawsuits, etc.... but I had a Yamaha dealer absolutely refuse to see me a 125cc Breeze when I mentioned my son was 9 1/2 years old. When it comes to riding in the national forests or other public lands...... is this restriction enforced by the park rangers or other law enforcement? Do the owners/operators of the private trails enforce the age restrictions?

Thanks for any insight you can give me on this.

Old 01-15-2003, 06:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The reason the dealers are being "fussy" with you is::: They will loose their dealership! The manufactures have undercover ppl trying to go buy big quads for kids,just to catch them if they can. The manufacture's still go by the CPSC rules agreed to in 1988 (even tho they're expired now)...thats the short side of a long story...hope that helped some [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2003, 07:21 PM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The bottom line is that if the dealers know if the intended rider is underaged for the quad most cannot sell it to you without fear of loosing their dealership. If there are manufactures 'spies' out ther checking up on dealers, and there probably are, then even droping a hint could get the dealer to refuse to sell to you.

If you really need to see your kid sitting on a particular quad before you buy, you are best off finding someone with one or visiting two dealerships - on to try and one to buy.

As far as riding areas go - I've heard of a few that follow the same age limit rules.

Ah, the power of liability.

Jaybee