Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

ATV Sport reports GasGas appearance at Round 1 of the GNCC's

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Sport reports GasGas appearance at Round 1 of the GNCC's

I just got my June issue of ATV Sport yesterday and they had an article on the opening round of the GNCC series in Florida. In the article (page 98 picture #3) there is a shot of none other than me racing my GasGas 300 in all the mud. I couldn't believe it. I think it's pretty cool. If you get and chance check out the article. I feel they did a excellent job of describing how bad the track was.

Old 04-16-2003, 06:07 AM
Pro Rider

i haven't recieved my issue yet... how's it peen performing lately?
if you're still overheating... check this 'cooler' out... looks like 40 fins on it! Tafta Cooler the price is lower down on this page

Old 04-16-2003, 08:11 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Dual-Sporter, I've ran a smaller version of that on my lt250r. The problem I'm having is it is heating up and melting the impellers, this is cause do to type of riding I do. My dealer has talked to GasGas about it and they said that the east coast guys are the only ones having the problem do to tight trails and low speeds the air flow thru the radiator isn't enough to cool it down. Adding that cooler would help but I don't think it along would solve my problem. It's something I might add in the near future just to help cool it more. Thanks.

Have you decided on which GasGas your going to get (if you are still getting one)?

Old 04-16-2003, 08:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

lt250r this is jeff8400ex have you talked to rick t lately did you get the overflow bottle?? also he has a guy by the name of wayne shay racing for him and i heard he put on a different rad?? not sure which one though. also were you running your comp and rebound on the rear?? i finally race this past sunday the motor was great
steering was still stiff though.. and the rear was a little stiff..

Old 04-16-2003, 09:08 AM
Pro Rider

Spence2442

I think I've talked to Wayne at the last GNCC. Yes I have added the overflow bottle that Rick is putting on the quads. Wayne is running the new larger radiator that is on the current models. I have one on the way.

My rear shock set-up is 2nd softest setting on the compression, 32 clicks from the slowest rebound positions and I have all the preload out of the rear shock. The stiff steering is do to 2 things. One the upper steering clamp is pinching the stem and needs to have a thin spacer added to elimate this. The other thing is the caster setting is factory at 16 degrees and needs to be chnaged to 3-6 degrees. The factory a-arms aren't adjustable, but some of the aftermarket ones are. My Gt Thunder ones are. If you haven't got a set of narrower a-arms tell who ever you plan to buy them off of to set them up for the correct caster angle and not the factory one. If you plan on keep the factory a-arms take the top ones to a shop and cut off the ends that mount to the frame and add Heim joint style pivots. This will allow you to adjust the caster setting by pushing the upper a-arm forward so the ball joints almost line up when looking down at them.

So how did you do at your race this past weekend? And what is your overall impression of the quad?

Old 04-16-2003, 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

lt250r thanks for the info on the shock i'll try that.. i already have new aarms.. the have 5 degrees of caster.. what are you running your toe and camber at???? i wonder if the rad i have is the new one ?? how can you tell??? the race was good i love the machine it worked good except for the rear shock and the steering being stiff.. it was a cra race at LL raceway.. i just wasn't in shape i wore out...

Old 04-16-2003, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

My toe end is between 1/4" to 1/2". I've been told they have a different radiator fan and the fan mounts onto the new radiator differently. My dealer told me that he has a new fan coming to since I'm switching to the larger radiator. I'll let you know what the differences are when I get it. Hopefully friday so I might be able to race a D-11 race on saturday at 5-brothers raceway in Logan. Well if the steering is still stiff with the 5 degree caster setting then it has to be the upper steering stem clamp, unless you have a damper on it.

I know the feeling about being out of shape. I need to get out and practice more myself. Hopefully with the nicer weather I get the time to get the c'dale and do some riding at the house.

Old 04-16-2003, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

what about your camber?? thats were i have my toe also.. let me see a pic of your rad and fan now and i'll see if it looks like mine.... cause i do have the long shocks... i'm going to loosen up the stem tonight i don't have a dampner on it.. i would like to put one on though.

Old 04-16-2003, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider

Well the only picture I have of the radiator right now is this one Radiator

As for the camber setting I haven't changed it. If it is any different than stock Lazarus changed it. The only thing I've adjusted is the toe in and the caster angle.

Is the steering stiff all the time or is it just when riding. Mine was stiff even when I had it off the ground and tried turning the handle bars. After looseing the steering stem bolts up the steering freed up. Then I would ride the quad and it stiffen back up (felt like the toe in was wrong). The fix for that was reducing the caster setting so the upper and lower ball joints were almost inline instead of the upper one being farther back. This reduced the resistance in the steering when I was turning.

I hope this helps. I can get a better shot of the radiator and fan tonight (if get time with my busy schedule) if you would like a better shot of it.

Old 04-16-2003, 02:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

i think i have the same rad.. atleast it looks the same it is stiff all the time. my caster is not adj.. i'm going to shim out the clamp tonite.. the guy that made my aarms says that the stiff steering comes from the angle of the tie rods. he's makeing a pivot to bolt on the stem to move the tie rods back some.. dan that works at grove city gas gas and runs the senior class in the gncc tried this pivot and said it made it to easy to steer but it might work if you had a dampner.. so i'm going to try it because i want to put a dampner on. the guy that made his arms made mine..

Quick Reply: ATV Sport reports GasGas appearance at Round 1 of the GNCC's