KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Answers to some of your questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2002, 01:25 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Scott,

No way man, keep the sound! I LOVE the sound of that thing revving, and that it does do. I don't think anything can beat the Cannondale growl under hard revs.

Old 03-23-2002, 01:45 AM
Pro Rider

One thing I would like to know about cannondales is the COST OF REPLACEMENT PARTS. I am eager to know how much replacement chassis components, and transmission and engine components will be selling for.

As every rider and racer knows replacement parts are a necessity when our quads get older and the cost of parts WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE in whether I, (and I'm shure many others riders) buy a Cannondale in the near future.

I remember when I used to own my lt250r that replacement parts were just outrageously priced and had my atv parked in my garage while saving up for a clutch basket.

Here are prices I WILL NOT PAY FOR REPLACEMENT PARTS: 2000$+ for frame, 500$+ forcylinder, 500$+ for a clutch basket, 1500$+ for both trannye shaft and gears

My trx400ex on the other hand has fairly cheap replacement parts(eventhou I have not replace anything yet) 400-600 for a frame, 200$ for a cylinder, 150 for new plastics.

IF CANNONDALE SET THE PRICE OF REPLACEMNT PARTS IN THE 400EX BALLPARK I DONT SEE ANY REASON WHY NOT TO BUY ONE.

Old 03-25-2002, 02:04 PM
Nut
Trailblazer

<< IF CANNONDALE SET THE PRICE OF REPLACEMNT PARTS IN THE 400EX BALLPARK I DONT SEE ANY REASON WHY NOT TO BUY ONE. >>

If Cannondale set the prices of parts in the same ballpark as a 400EX then, it would be a 400EX!! At price tags between $7-12 grand new, it is unlikely that parts will be as cheap as you mentioned for the 400EX. I certainly didn't buy my Speed thinking I was going to break things, but I know it will happen. I also didn't analyze the cost of replacements parts before I made my purchase. I understand that some people will consider these things before they buy a new quad, but don't make your decision based this alone.

Old 03-25-2002, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider

I wonder since the shop is in PA if we can buy parts directly for the factory ??????

Old 03-25-2002, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

I don't know about buying parts straight from the factory, but I know you can't buy machines directly from the manufacturer. There is some law against it in some, if not all states. jfboy, from what I've read, Cannondale has been stress testing their parts and they are supposed to hold up really well, maybe Mr. Montgomery can elaborate on this for us?

Old 03-26-2002, 01:08 AM
Pro Rider

I'm shure that they are only quality parts that go into these quads... but accidents happen... If you run into a tree in 3rd or 4th gear...... even if the frame is the best out there you can kiss it goodbye(that happened to my friends warrior and my other friends raptor)

The frames on both these machines were so expenseive that they had the ins comp total the quad in both occasions...

A guy tha lives nearby rolled his 400ex into a ditch(15feet drop) His frame was bent and it cost him only like 750$ Canadian to get a new one.

Old 03-26-2002, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

Have you talked to a C-Dale dealer about parts? They should know the cost of this stuff.

Old 03-26-2002, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

cant compare prices to a 400ex heres some EX----

frame is steel on the 400ex aluminum on cannodale. aluminum cost more.

jug is air cooled on 400ex, cannondale watercooled,

so on and so on.

Old 03-26-2002, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

I think you guys are missing JFBoy's point....

Of course some things on the Cannondale may cost more to manufacture and therefore would demand a higher sale price. However...

Let's look at 400EX OEM parts replacement prices vs 250R OEM parts replacement prices or LT250R or even a current quad like Banshee or Raptor replacement parts prices. I think you'll find that 400EX prices are SIGNIFICANTLY more reasonable than any of the others I've mentioned. Does that mean the 400EX parts are somehow lower quality than the others --- absolutely not, the 400EX is a very reliable machine.

This does play a big role in the decision making process for many racers. I for one race cross country on a 400EX - replacement parts will eat you alive if you can't find them at a reasonable cost. This is one big reason I don't race a 250R. I can get a full set of fenders for my 400EX for less than the rears for a 250R cost. I can buy complete new lower control arms cheaper than you can put bearings or bushings in a 250R arm. I can buy a whole toolbox full of tie rods cheaper than one 250R tie rod will cost, and that's only a couple examples...

This all makes a very big difference in the long run.

I am planning on buying a Cannibal very soon, however, as a practice/play quad. I will continue to race my 400EX until I know that replacement parts prices won't kill me on the C-Dale - because I will break and wear stuff out, that's a guarantee...

Old 03-26-2002, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

Well you're really not comparing apples to apples when you talk about the high cost of the R's parts as compared to the 400EX. For one thing, they still manufacture the 400EX. The R last rolled out the door in 1989, plus it was only made for 4 years (speaking of the quad) so naturally the parts are going to be harder to find for the R and more expensive plus fewer were manufactured.

But I agree with what you are saying, if parts are too outrageous in price, that will turn some people off from being repeat buyers or even a first time buyer.

Quick Reply: Answers to some of your questions.