KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Answers to some of your questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2002, 01:48 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the many good comments and suggestions. Here are a few answers...

MAKE IT QUIETER? - We have debated this a bunch. Since we are new to this sport we thought it was important to have a distinctive sound. Harley stuck with their sound
and even tried to patent it. We can easily make it quieter in the future but we kind of felt people like the distinctive tone, makes a statement. If you all want us to change it - we can certainly consider for the future?

REVIEWS WITH ATV MAGAZINES? - I think the ATV magazines have been very good to us. We have a great personal relationship with all the editors and they have made good suggestions and we will continue to consult with them on future ideas. We have nothing to fear with such a strong product. They are very experienced and I feel we should continue to work together. I spend a good amount of time in this area and feel good about our direction.

JOHN VERHAAGH! - Thanks for the great words about our sales staff(I will thank John personally in the morning). The most amazing thing about Cannondale is the dedication and hard work - get it done attitude of our people. My Grandfather used to say, "if you can measure desire you can fortell accomplishment", this attitude displayed by John and so many others, is the reason Cannondale continues to succeed at what some people consider as impossible objectives.

ATV RACING? - We are in the first year of a multi-year contract for the factory sponsored Nac's/Cannondale ATV Race Team. In only 3 2002 GNC/GNCC races we have had many great finishes and learned a great deal in the process that will benefit all future products. Win to race, race to win is in our blood. We figure this will bring Honda and Yamaha soon which will only benefit the sport and riders in general.

JOBS AT CDALE! - Go to our website and look in the jobs section and email HR, then be persistent. If we continue our success in motorsports there is going to be room for many bright new people in the future. The work environment is intense, exciting, dynamic and
we appreciate people with a strong work ethic.

CANADA! - We are going to sell there in the future and we are anxious to start selling there soon. We are going throught the steps to have our machines homologated for sales in Canada, and as soon as that is completed we will start selling there. We'd better as
my wife is from Canada and she hears this from family and friends all the time so we are on the case.

CEO! - Actually my father is CEO. I am a director and VP. I am very involved in the company and trust me when my father and I talk it is all business. We love working together and we are passionate about Cannondale. We are far from perfect, make mistakes, but we never give up and we are open to suggestions. I spend most of my time in marketing, product management, sales, strategy. There is a ton to do at Cannondale and we are not big on titles, have no formal organization charts. We know how to get things done and I consider listening to your comments as smart thing to do.

OFF HIGHWAY VEHICLES WORK? - Of all the questions this is the one we are doing the least on for the moment. We have a limited staff, are very focused on getting Cannondale profitable so we can return some of those profits to help grow the industry as we do
through our support of many issues in bicycles. For the moment we are members of MIC,
and work closely with the industry on many issues but we need to focus this 2002 on making this business a success. Then in the future, I promise we will work with others to
protect the rights of riders and on other key issues. The only other good news on this front is that Cannondale machines get great gas milage and are clean burning engines so in general we will do well with some of the restrictions the country is sure to continue to place on the industry.

Sorry again that I do not get to respond to each question directly but I will return as often as possible and respond where I think we can make a difference. Thank you,

Scott Montgomery
Cannondale

Old 03-20-2002, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I currently own a polaris sport. I have been debating whether to sell it and buy a different quad. If I do I think I will lean towards the Cannondale. It is a good sign when a company VP takes time to post on a message forum to keep in touch with current and future customers. It sounds like the Cannondale lineup is very competitive.

Old 03-20-2002, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

IF the distinct noise is not a sign of trouble, then I say KEEP IT, I like it!!! just my two cents.

Old 03-20-2002, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

I vote for keeping the noise distinct also. The cannibal I rode sounded different, but I liked it.

Old 03-20-2002, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

I also agree about not changing the noise, its distict as are the gear driven cams. Thats for the replie Scott.

Old 03-21-2002, 05:45 AM
Range Rover

Scott,
I just wanted to thank Scott for his input into this forum. I own a Ds and love it but the thought of that cannondale is always in back of my mind. I would love to own a American made quad. If the cannibal would have been out a couple of years ago i definitely would have bought it. Cannondale is a awesome company that is dedicated to making the best product. And i also like the fact that they are already racing that bad boy. I'm pretty sure kawasaki was the only other manufacturer to do that and we all know that there quads cant match up to the Cannondale. so thanks agian to mister VP and I look forward to his future input.

Old 03-22-2002, 05:38 PM
Trailblazer

Scott: Noise is ALWAYS a issue and it is only becoming more of a problem every year. We(District 14 ATV racers) just recently had our yearly banquet, and noise was something we discussed. My feelings on the subject are if my neighbors couldn't hear me, I could ride at my house. With this I belive we (racers) need to start the movement to quieter exhaust systems. The average trail buyer might follow our lead, but we MUST lead and stop our fellow racers who show up for races with un-packed silencers or exhaust systems that are just loud.

Noise and Dust will always be the downfall of our sport.

On a more postive note, I commend Cannondale for coming through and helping to revive the sport I love. The abilty to buy trail thru full race bikes is great. The bottom end of the market is all that's missing at this point and I am sure that's not new news.

Racers will buy given time---It takes a little when you have been riding Hondas for years.....

Blaze hear I come.....

Thanks........

Old 03-22-2002, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

I love the exhaust sound with the stock silencer and it definitely is not loud. My complaint with the dale is how loud the gear noise is. You can't talk over it with a helmet on. If you really can quiet it Scott, that would be a winner.
I agree with MJnova. We have got to be more aware of our impact on those around our ridin spots.
I have griefed several guys about they're loud pipes. If they don't hear ya, they don't care!

Old 03-22-2002, 06:52 PM
Trailblazer

I couldn't stand the stock pipe. When riding and racing with other people you can't even hear when to shift. I imedietly bought an HMF and I love the strong sound. I really don't care for my high performance quad to sound like a ct 70

Old 03-22-2002, 07:08 PM
Pro Rider

I agree the silencer is quiet.When I come of the line and head for the first turn I listen to the motor to shift not the pipe.U can't
hear nothing with all them piped EX's.Untill your all the way in front of them.

Quick Reply: Answers to some of your questions.