KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

'03 Models?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2002, 05:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ohlins Suspension is why it has to be a Speed. The only machine I've owned that could take the abuse was a CR250 with Race Tech Suspension. I don't know, does anyone have the Arvin's shocks on the Cannibal? Do you race MX, can they take the pounding? I'm going to call my Uncle next week and see what he says. If he'll help out even more by letting me use some of the money from the down payment for mods, than I'll definately be getting the Speed. Ok, I'm getting sick of typing now.

Old 04-25-2002, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

You can never go wrong buying an R unless you pay way too much for it and you don't know the history and you immediately have to start putting $$ into it. The R is pretty easy to maintain as well and aftermarket parts are readily available. If you can find an R at a decent price, I would buy it. That quad looked pretty decent but what is the history, what's the condition of the motor?

Old 04-25-2002, 06:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know starting out on a 250r would not be a bad idea.if your young and can't afford the exotica of a $7000+ cannondale then you should think about the options.what can you afford? a 250r is cheaper and just as race worthy as any cannondale,parts are plentiful and alot less expensive then the c-dale.
and if you're just beginning your race career then a inexpensive 250r or 400ex would be the way to go.it's like buying champagne ona beer budget.
don't get in over your head at a young age it's hard to straighten out fredit after you mess it up. not saying that you would but anything can happen.
racing is a expensive sport,and the cannondale will break and wear out parts just the same as any other machine.you just have to decide if you wanna be able to afford to race every week or every month.

Old 04-25-2002, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

I've pretty much decided to hold off a couple years on the Cannondale for quite a few reasons. I can have an R for half the price and still have a competitive race machine. Parts are cheap and readily avaialable. I am a little more knowledgeable on 2 stroke motors(although I still need to know more) and even though their is a possibly of whatever 250R I buy having a bad motor, they're cheap to rebuild!

Old 04-25-2002, 06:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

now you're thinking.good luck with whatever you purchase and we all hope to see you at the races .get going ,what are you doing reading this crap when you should be making some loot so you can get racing go on now beat it.

Old 04-25-2002, 06:47 PM
Pro Rider

ItracerX, come to Oklahoma, I have a modified R and a Cannibal, I'll let you thrash both of them. In fact, I'm getting ready to buy another R. This next one is a full Laeger chassis, ProTrax Laeger front end, etc., so the current R may be going bye bye!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-25-2002, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider

an '86 R is still a 17 year old machine. $4500?! Damn, you might as well find a souped up 400EX for that much...

Old 04-25-2002, 06:53 PM
Pro Rider

I have arvins and they are a little stiff but they are better than any other stock fronts i have ridden on. The cannondale is also competitive with machines twice its price.

Old 04-25-2002, 07:13 PM
Pro Rider

<< now you're thinking.good luck with whatever you purchase and we all hope to see you at the races .get going ,what are you doing reading this crap when you should be making some loot so you can get racing go on now beat it >>

1 month before I turn 16 I will be making the &quot;loot&quot;(thats why I started this post)

<< ItracerX, come to Oklahoma, I have a modified R and a Cannibal, I'll let you thrash both of them. In fact, I'm getting ready to buy another R. This next one is a full Laeger chassis, ProTrax Laeger front end, etc., so the current R may be going bye bye!! >>

If you are really selling your R, PM me, if you wouldn't mind waiting 'til fall I would be interested.

<< an '86 R is still a 17 year old machine. $4500?! Damn, you might as well find a souped up 400EX for that much... >>

Naw, the only 4-stroke worth buying is a Cannondale, and maybe the new Zuki, hey there's an idea, the new Zuki is now in the mix!

<< I have arvins and they are a little stiff but they are better than any other stock fronts i have ridden on. The cannondale is also competitive with machines twice its price >>

Thats why I wanted a C-Dale in the first place, plus EFI,Aluminum frame,customer service. I prefer stiff front shocks, don't ask me why, but I just fell more comfortable on jumps.

Man, I think I met corndogs quota for quotes,lol.

Old 04-25-2002, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

Well, if I were you, I would go ahead and buy the R. I wanted something brand new, different, very powerful out of the box, and that I could build up into a MX machine on my own... kinda starting from scratch, but in your case, you say you want something that you can go ahead and take out there and race. Buy the R, set aside the extra $2500 that you would spend on a Cannibal for those &quot;just in case&quot; things. If you do go w/ a c-dale, buy the Cannibal. I've already gone through what you would go through (16, minimum wage, payments, races, gas, and repairs) and the Ohlins shocks aren't worth the extra &quot;hassle&quot;. The Arvins will do just as good as the Ohlins... I mean the Ohlins aren't top of the line, race ready shocks, or atleast not much better than the Arvins. Good luck

Quick Reply: '03 Models?