KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

oops......swoops!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 08:21 PM
The Facility
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Raptor in my class was one of the DNFs actually.

Didn't stick around for the overall results. They will post them later this week. I'll let you guys know who won it and what he was riding.

The fellow who finished 1st in my class was a 440EX.

Thge next race is going to be at Batesville, MS on June 9.....you guys should come up [or down] and give the woods a try.

Old 05-20-2002, 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

Knowsalot,

I wouldn't let the broken tree thing get spread to far around. The tree huggers might be at the next race wrapped around the smaller trees making the trail even narrower.

Smitty

Old 05-20-2002, 10:08 PM
gtx
Trailblazer

Congrats Knowsalot on your finish and I have also bent both of my front rims. I just kept riding they still look pretty good. I do a lot of woods riding and wondering exactly what kind of racing do you ride.

Old 05-20-2002, 10:32 PM
The Facility

Smitty,

I understand about the tree issue, but all the races included in this series are ran on private owned lands which is donated by members of the club, so I understand how that would be a problem elsewhere.

gtx,
I run hare scrambles. They are the same thing as the GNCC,s only the courses are more "tight" than a cross country making for some very technical riding. They usually last for 2 hours, where as a GNCC usually runs for 3.
This is my first year for racing in the woods. This was my second race. I have finished 3rd and now 2nd. I run in the "C" class, being my first year, but now am required to move up to the "B" class. It's mandatory if you podium twice, which I've done in only two races. The good thing is that I get to keep my points during this move up. You are penalized [points taken away] if you change classes without being required to. This is to keep "sandbaggers" from running in the "C" class and to keep things fair for everyone.
I'm really enjoying it so far and plan to attend all the races that I can. I never thought I would be sayiong that because I've always been into the motocross game. I haven't ran a motocross race since February, but intend to get back into more after the hare scrambles are over.

If you have any more questions, PM me.

Old 05-20-2002, 10:49 PM
gtx
Trailblazer

knowsalot
My dealer races in a series like you do I think, he has a blaze. A couple of weeks ago he was first in the pro class. At the shop he had a tape of one of his races and every one was really lugging down to get up this hill, it seemed to be slippery and tight. It looked pretty fun. Are there practice trails or certain tracks that are open to just try it out and practice. I don't know much about this kind of racing.I have never been to a atv race, I plan on going pretty soon.

Old 05-20-2002, 11:15 PM
The Facility

Check back with your dealer and find out when the next event is and attend one.

Just go with the idea in mind that you are simply going to ride the course instead of actually race with them just so you know what to expect if you were to start racing.

At least go to one and see what's involved. It's more fun to me than motocross because it's all rider and has nothing to do with machine. All that's needed to race regardless of model is nerfbars and a good set of tires. Then if you like it, add a steering damper and Pro Taper style handlebars with hand guards.

Old 05-21-2002, 11:07 AM
Pro Rider

a Raptor DNF'ing?!?! who knew!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2002, 07:27 PM
The Facility

Hey, he wasn't the only one with a DNF. About 75% of the riders didn't make it through the race. Not for mechanical failures, but becuase of the tight course. I think I saw at least a dozen guys sitting on their tailgates holding their wrists when i pulled into the pits after the race was over..LOL

Alot of guys were smacking the trees, me included. I guess I was just lucky and didn't get an injury from it.

There were also alot, and I mean ALOT of 250R guys who didn't finish as well. I saw them on the course and they seemed to have alot of problems in the mud sections. Now that i think about it, i don't think there was a two stroke that even finished the race...in ANY class!!!

When they get the official results posted, I'm gonna post a link for you guys to check it out. I have never seen so many DNFs in one race before.

Old 05-21-2002, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Patrick, congrats on the 2nd place finish. Just making it to the end was an accomplishment. The race was every bit as tough as you said, it was my first ever DNF and I only make it half the laps. I got stuck in the mud and it took three of us to get it out. After that I'd had enough.

I'm pretty sure the top two guys were both on Roll 250Rs. One of the guys, Rickie Davis, finished 2nd in 250A and 14th overall at Loretta Lynns.

Old 05-22-2002, 12:30 AM
The Facility

Hey Eddie,
You guys missed alot of action after you left.

The guy on the Banshee [Stephens] broke his wrist in a crash during the race. Smashed his nerfbar against the frame and twisted the swingarm!!

There was controversy about that guy you are talking about on the Roll quad. It was decided that no one actually ran 4 laps, because the ones who finished 4 laps had a very low first lap time. They were accused of cutting the track. These were the guys who were in your class [A]

I looked at the corrected time sheets [when i left] and there were DNFs all over the page. The guy showing them said that he thought they penalized a few guys for cutting the course around the creek crossing on the first lap[before they re-routed us]

I saw you guys pushing your's out of that hole. I think that your skid plate was what did you in being so low to the ground. seemed like it anyway.

I was as stunned as anyone else when they told me that you didn't get to finish. You are always in the Top3 in the overalls, so it was a shock.
I'm sure you will be ready to avenge that ride come Batesville..LOL
I'm glad I don't run in the A class.....LOL

Stop by the shop one day this week and holler at me, We didn't get to discuss the race before you left.

Patrick