KTM Discussions about KTM ATVs.

Direct Injection

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2002, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wheres Scott been lately? Im wondering if they've been pondering the idea of direct injection on the Cannondale. It would boost hp greatly and make fuel delivery more precise and a # of great things.I would like to know what Cannondale has been up to lately.

Old 05-20-2002, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

Rumor has it Cannondale is working on a new 450CC motor. Also the "next generation" motor will have easier valve adjustment without dropping the thumper!!

Old 05-20-2002, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

MX - I think you are thinking of two strokes.... Like the direct injection systems used on marine engines.

Old 05-20-2002, 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

No i'm thinking of direct injection for fuel injection. Cannondale uses indirect injection, by placing the injectors outside the cylinder on the intake tube. Direct injection places the injectors by the intake port in the cylonder by the spark plug. Right now only diesels use this technology but Gm is making a gas engine 4.3 v-8 that puts out 300hp with direct injection. two strokes dont use this because they arent fuel injected.

Old 05-20-2002, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider

I've done a little bit of reading about the manufacturers testing Direct Injection in the automotive world, but there's a lot of design changes involved, it's not simply a matter of bolting on a new "direct injection" system. I'm not sure at this point it would be wise for someone without a huge development budget to embark on such unproven, uncharted waters.

What vehicle is this 4.3L v8 in? Is it in production? I'd like to research it a bit since I've been programming and working on my own injection systems for several years now.

Really, if you do the testing, there has been very little advantage to the delivery method even between sequential and batch fire systems in the automotive world, except at idle. I can't see where moving the injector into the combustion chamber would be a huge advantage. Injectors don't really have very good atomization properties and the fuel spray hitting the back side of a hot valve is actually a good thing.

I don't think that using an developing technology like direct 4 stroke injection would be in anyone's best interest at this point. Let the huge automotive corporations with bottomless wallets develop and perfect the technology for several years before even trying to implement this sort of thing in an ATV.

BTW, there are 2 stroke fuel injected systes out there - a couple main styles, one of which *is* branded as "Direct injection" - these have mainly been implemented in the marine world where 2 strokes are under very heavy fire for their emissions.

Old 05-20-2002, 03:39 PM
Pro Rider

Direct Injection is a two-stroke fuel delivery system. As the name implies, fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber on the engine. The main advantage for this type of system is improved efficiency, in respect to increased power, fuel delivery, and most importantly emissions. I don't know of any four-stroke engine with a direct injection system, at least no gasonline burners. There are really no significant advantages that I can see for the hassle of trying to fit the injector into a cylinder head (of a four-stroke). There isn't alot of room there with all the valves and spark plugs. Although I would be curious to see what kind of set-up F-1 engine builders use (besides the pneumatic valves). I would be even more curious to take a peek at the latest (and last) generation of Honda's MotoGP NSR500 two-stroke, just to see the state-of-the-art design.

Now moving the injector closer to the intake valves, that makes sense. But of course that isn't technically "direct" injection.

Old 05-20-2002, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

kawasaki currently utilizes direct injection on two stroke jet-skis,
the 1100 stx/D.I.
this a 2 stroke/3 cylinder motor