Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gremlins

sorry[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2002, 12:07 AM
Trailblazer
Default Gremlins

Guys,
First I want to say thanks to those that have responded to some of problems that I have been experierencing.

Once again a new dilemma to resolve....I have had a few problems pop up just recently as some of you are aware. To reflect.....

Received quad labor day weekend. Fouled a plug first day...no problems rookie mistake.

September,14 ran my first Motto X in 12yrs. No problems...First Place Wayne County Speedway Orrville, Ohio

October 5th PowerLine Park GNCC No problems....well except for a wrestling match with a grapevine that lasted for several minutes... 25th place in class, finished 106 overall.

October 19th Iron Man GNCC: finish 28 class w/overall finish 153
Bike had quit several times during race. ECU burned up causing fuel pump to keep running.
Dealer/Cannondale replaced the unit (ECU) but have not received boot kit upgrade yet.

Had some type of clutch or tranny problem as quad was stuck in 1 st and 2nd gear.
Dealer/Cannondale installed new clutch plates (updated thicker ones)

October, 26 Local Fall series points race first race DNF
Shut quad down after 2-laps with a couple miles to go do to oil belching out the front all over the place.
See Pics

Dealer/Cannondale installed oil vent reroute kit update. Also revisited clutch tranny problem. Also notice that my stock (toaster) exhaust had a hole about the size of a quarter at the rear mounting tab. Decided to install a HMF full exhaust system, remapped with the Blaze Map, and also installed 44 tooth rear sprocket and new chain. Also asked them to check about the latest Tech bulletin regarding crankcase stud update....response was this is only an optional update if there is a problem and if C-Dale didn't call them about it, then it is probably not needed. Hugh!

November,3rd Local Fall series Race #2 DNF
Less than one lap gear shift lever stripped off. Dealer I guess had my shifter on off quite a few times while solving clutch problems and inadvertently stripped shifter bolt. Causing it to completely strip and hung in the down position...unable to continue could not shift gears.

November 4th (past Monday)
Picked up new shifter and rode quad for about one hour...no problems, actually quite pleased with power and performance from the new exhaust, Blaze map, new gearing and tranny/clutch felt good. Life was good....

November, 7th (today)
Rode quad hard for about 2-hours on our practice H-scramble track with my 2-sons and daughter...had a good time. Hosed Bikes off before putting away (left mine run while washing). Finished up and went to pull quad in the shop ....went about ten feet and just quit. Went to hit the starter and nothing but a dull click click....maaaaannn what the...."please" not the dead battery no charging problem that quite a few have been reporting here lately....I don't know. I have check everything posted in here regarding this except the stator wires (no flywheel puller)or the reg/rectifier.

Now the difference with my situation is that most of you that have or are experiencing this have only had this after your bike has sat overnight or longer. Mine happened while running and with 2 hours running prior to it quitting and not restarting. Sooo what this tells me is I must have been running off of the battery power only for those 2 hours and it finally must have ran out causing the ECU to shut down w/not enough juice available to turn over and fire up.

Now I think were all getting tired of hearing about this dead battery thing....has anybody or C-Dale actually nailed down the problem. I have seen so many variations and different resolutions I am not sure what to think. Everything from the battery being worn thru, stator wires, reg/rect, crankcase stud loosening and dragging down the engine....this thing needs nipped in the butt and now.

I was told as far as the stator wire problem that this is not even an issue on any 03 models by my dealer....anybody have this on their 03???

Has anyone with 03 models had any problems regarding a dead battery, reg-rectifier not charging, ECU burn out, oil belching, stator wire shielding rub through, clutch tranny problems, crankcase studs backing out (Sandman has His in shop now for this) anybody else???

I would like to get a good thread with good info backing me up of others with same or similar problems that seem to be premature...I would say in about the first six months of you owning your quads. So that I could print out to show my dealer or a C-dale Rep if I can somehow contact him...anyone no if this is possible??? A rep or somebody from C-dale company.

I called 1-8000-motto-usa and all I got was a sweet voice telling me that I had to handle this through my local dealer...huh!! It states right on the bulletin page on their website if you have any ???? to call the 800 number. YOU Mean we have no access to C-dale motor sports division??? What if you don't have a local dealer and bought your quad from e-bay or something, or wasn't happy with your dealer, or had to drive several hundred miles each time you have a problem that needed trouble shooting. Lucky I have a dealer only 15 minutes from me ....but what if I didn't??? I think my dealer is not able to resolve these problems...I think/feel they are just as aggravated as I am. Man... I am going to hate this trip back to them tomorrow...I can hear them now...##$%&^ here he comes again, well I feel the same. I just want my quad to run consistantly.....I mean if I wear it out or crash and break stuff I have no problems paying for it but with this back and forth all the time and not finishing a race.... I am too getting aggravated as well.

So by chance...If there is a person from C-dale factory that "would happened" to be lurking or occasionally visiting this forum...please pm me or email me at traber@valkyrie.net with contact info. I would really like to contact someone in tech if possible.

On the up-side:
The remapping seems to have solved the engine cut out at cruise throttle settings or when decelerating. Seems to start a little better/quicker when cold to.

The oil vent reroute seems to have solved the oil belching problem so far.

Did I mention this thing rrrrripps with the HMF and Blaze map (this only keeps me smiling right now)

Updated shocks seems to be working out fine...but I am going to upgrade to some type of rezzy's shocks. BTW anyone know what the stock Blaze front rezzy Ohlins are selling for through a dealer??? yes I am comparing or verifying what my dealer quoted me.... I think I am going with the Elkas but just curious.

I really hope to race this weekend, my son is really bummed cause we were supposed to install some race mods tomorrow to his quad but now I will probably be messing with mine again.

As before any info would be appreciated, thanks in advance

Old 11-08-2002, 12:35 AM
Trailblazer
Default Gremlins

It is pretty tough to talk to a C-Dale rep these days. It used to be that you could call up and talk to them and they were very helpful. It is my experience (and I say this from conversations with my mechanic) that the mechanics at the dealerships have been complaining to the reps because everytime they try to call, they get voicemail because the reps are talking to regular Joe's like you and me. Since he told me this, I have not been able to fight my way past that sweet voice. I can understand where the mechanics are coming from, but C-Dale doesn't have a large enough dealer base IMO to start acting like the other manufacturers.

Like I have posted before, it took me 5 weeks to get my replacement clutch parts and cam cover. I missed the last 4 races of the fall MX series down here because I was waiting on parts. I am one of those unlucky guys that doesn't have a dealer close by so I can't just run down there and check on things.

Again, I wouldn't trade this thing for anything in the world. I guess that it is just something you have to deal with when you take the plunge on a high tech, new product.

I wish I could help you with your problems because I hate to see posts like this. I feel your pain.

Old 11-08-2002, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default Gremlins

Tarrat! Yep, Gremlins man! it sounds like you've had a pretty good 2 months of ownership really. Your race results are great, and it sounds like you've done a heck of a lot of ridinG! I hear several 'getting to know you' problems you kinda expect with any new machine, expecially one this BAD. Overfilling with fast riding creates that oil belching in many cannons. I only overfilled mine carelessly one time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] you probably could have finished that race. All the gremlins do have cures though [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Sounds like you know where the problems lie. Getting irritated with cannondale is probably counter productive, cause i think they are pedaling as fast as they can. hehe If they are gonna make it in motorsports they are gonna need all of us riders and dealers working together to figure this stuff out, and that's what is happening. My quad has been very reliable for over a year. You'll get it.

Old 11-08-2002, 03:05 AM
Trailblazer
Default Gremlins

hey, ryanstones
Once again not bashing C-Dale....
Just very aggggrrrr.... u-know

Oil and tranny fluid was replaced by dealer after Iron Man since they had my quad that full week while trying to solve the tranny clutch problems and replacing the burned ECU. I would like to think they would not over fill. I have done both fluid changes several times now with no belching until this one time. C-dale even has a tech bulletin on this so maybe it is not just that simple.

I do know what you mean (the getting to know the quad thing) but I would think that the problems that I am having really don't have much to do with getting to know the quad i.e.: ECU burning out, batteries not staying charged or dead, engine shutting down at certain rpms...ect. I give that maybe the oil belching could have been a slight overfill (by dealer) but sandman said his did this after the oil scavenger was damaged. Like I said lots of different scenarios being reported ...hard to find consistency.

On The Light Side:::>
I would classify getting to know the Cannondale quad as:

Fouled plugs first couple hours....

Grabbing the wrong gas can...you know the one with pre-mix....

Three underwear changes after the first hour.....

How old I really am....

How much bigger those double jumps look several years later....

All of your friends, family members swearing that they will never let you give them a ride again....

How much quicker trees seem to jump out in front of ya....

How much quicker I can check the mail each day....

We are also a family of quads with three of us racing regularly so I would like to think I am familiar with maintaining racing quads and equipment. I also over my years have owned and played with many different motorized toys , so once again I am familiar with maintaining equipment. When I was born my mom said I through out a tool box first...

I sort of disagree with ya on the.....

I feel we are solely responsible to maintain, replace and repair damaged or worn parts and to keep our bikes nice and shiny. I do not feel though that we should as riders/owners be trouble shooting problems for our dealers or quad producers. Especially on a quad of this nature. However accurate impute is a good thing whether good or bad from us. What we should be doing as rider/owner for our dealers and quad producers is riding and enjoying our vehicles for all to see, whether it be racing, trail riding, chores around the farm, getting to that favorite fishing hole or dragging that nice 12 point buck out of the woods.....this will make any company/dealer more profitable and successful then us working for them......

I do appreciate your impute though...
hey my entire family lives in Sarasota...I will be taking my Dale with me on my winter visit, maybe ya could show me some riding spots. I will/should be down there also for the GNCC opener.....later

Old 11-08-2002, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider
Default Gremlins

Tarrot I am afraid there is no way anyone can say this one solution will solve this problem.All motors need timing,compression,fuel,spark cannondales have more systems supporting these demands.Your problem does seem a little diff.Whenever someone says what you have said led up to your problem my first instinct would be to suspect a loose ground or battery connection."just got done hosing it off" these gremlins you are getting will be fixed and you will be a very happy customer who will soon forget the efforts you have gone through it is well worth it.
On another note I didnt know the Orville speedway had a MX track.I sure missed not having a nat.TT there this year that place was the best.

Old 11-08-2002, 10:45 AM
Trailblazer
Default Gremlins

Yea probably right...hope so anyway
This thing really is a awsome quad....I guess I am just pay'n my dues ...

"yep" Orrville does run MX in the center of the speedway....They are even with CRA Competion Riders of America.. They run twice a month during the season...nice track and facilities.

I wish I would have been active during the Nationals (TT) that were held there...heck its almost in my back yard.

Some of the greatest sprint car drivers came off this track (the round part) .....Jac Haudenshield, Kenny Jacobs, Dean Jacobs....heck i even remember Jeff Gordan racing there when he was only 14-15 yrs old

BTW the motto that I ran was one of those Quad Wars deals that was part of the Monster Truck Races that were held there that night....some competiton but not alot...I raced a mix of R's , 400 ex's & Z's I think there was only 14 quads in my races......

M -Truck driver Madussa (spelling) sat on my bike and she was really impressed, several of the the other truck drivers and crews was asking alot about my quad...I was proud

going to trouble shoot now...charged battery overnight....let ya know what I come up with....

Old 11-08-2002, 11:01 AM
Trailblazer
Default Gremlins

I can understand where the mechanics are coming from, but C-Dale doesn't have a large enough dealer base IMO to start acting like the other manufacturers.

I agree,
the other big four has had several years to get their products reliable...or not! Also to establish a network of dealer / tech persons for their products, with one on or at almost every street corner. Heck many mechanics grew up wrenching their stuff. Unfortunately C-dale is going to have to establish this same thing in a much shorter time period to be successful, especially in today's world of instant gratification. They also did not have to deal with the internet were both good and bad news travels very quickly, opens you to random and frivolous attacks or misinformation. Another reason to keep a line of communication open to their owners. Just my $.02

I fully understand that this is a new venture for them...I just would like to see this USA team/company kick butt, I really do wish them success[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2002, 01:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gremlins

Hey Tarrat103

I had a problem this past weekend with mine starting. Here's what it was doing. First off I to thoght the battery was dead or low. Because it would prime but not turn the starter over. So I check the wiring (since I done some mods to my wiring), then checked the battery connection. Still wouldn't fire. So I started unplugging and checking connection since that Ironman race had a good bit of water. It ended up being the connector from the battery to the regulater box before it gets to the start. I think some water corroded the connect and once I cleaned it and reconnected it the machine was breatheing fire again. Haven't had a problem since.

Old 11-08-2002, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Gremlins

for the hell of it check all wiring connectins on right side of quad under front fender. we had a very similar problem a couple weeks ago with the moto. started and stopped it acouple of times, tried to start it again and only a click. would not turn over. josh reached up under the fender to check all the connections and tried again and it started right up. we still dont which connection it was but it has started fine since then.

Quick Reply: Gremlins