Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

ATV ban for 16 and under ??? SERIOUS PROBLEM ON THE HORIZON!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2003 | 01:55 PM
KGB
|
Pro Rider
Default ATV ban for 16 and under ??? SERIOUS PROBLEM ON THE HORIZON!

I was at our state ATV association meeting last night. We had a speaker who went to the hearing for the CPSC in New Mexico ( fourlix, where you there?). Anyway he told me about all the doctors, lawyers, and acticists who were talking about all the rise in deaths related to atv's. The number of deaths is raising faster than the rate of sales. This is a scary trend. A high number of the deaths involved alcohol, many had no helmet, many were under age kids on big machines. They aslo spoke of little Al Unser, saying "even a Indianopolis 500 winner can't control one of these mosters"
The problem is in the irresponsible parents hands. Who buys a 500 sportsman, puts their 12 year old kid on there w/ no experience, no helmet, 3 of their friends and lets them rip? If you do, stop now, take them to an education class and tell them your sorry for puttign their lives at risk, and the sport at risk.
I am not a parent, but growing up, my folks would not stand for that. We need to send letters to our representatives. Read this first, get your gun loaded and fire away.
link to cpsc search on atv's.
contact your representative!. Makw sure to say things like, "our family enjoys spending time on atvs together" "My family has proper training and always wears helmets" It is important that we let them know this is a family sport that can be enjoyed safely.
If these guys have their way, there could be a law in 2 months banning ALL RIDERS OF QUADS UNDER 16.
Please pass this around, keep this live, THIS IS REAL, THIS IS IMPORTANT.
Don't let them take away our rights, and the ability to take your family into nature and have fun!

Old 11-12-2003 | 09:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

well im 14 but when i got my 350 i tghout i'd need/want more but after wreckin a few tiems and feelin the poweri don't know how like 13-14 yr old kids can ride raptors n **** hell i can barily handle my little warrior soemtimes

Old 11-12-2003 | 12:43 PM
KGB
|
Pro Rider

I strongly suggest you have your parents read some of the links I provided, have them understand that you are technically operating a machine that is not legal for you to operate, and if they don't get involved, you will not be able to get away with it any longer. I am not saying that you should not , or can't operate it, but the law is the law. It wil be enforced if this passes.
Do you wear your helmet?
Did you take an ATV safety course?
You should if you don't!
Get your folks to write a letter to their congressman!

Old 11-12-2003 | 07:43 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Is A Power Sport Junkie!

always wear my helmet.... was gonna take some in MI to get a certificate so i can ride at Silver Lake but i said screw it when i turn 16 im goin

Old 11-12-2003 | 08:24 PM
Pro Rider

i took all my atv classes, i wear a helmet and i wear the boots and the other racing stuff that racers use but i don't race i just like being safe.

later

Old 11-12-2003 | 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I allways wear my safety gear,and I've been to a TON of ATV Safety classes,BECAUSE im also the instructor.

Bill

Old 11-13-2003 | 10:05 AM
Range Rover

Unless something changes with the parents (for themselves AND for their children) I think that this is inevitable. Until parents start taking safety serious, then this trend will continue. As a member of the riding community, I have tried to convince people to at least wear a helmet for their own safety, but in doing so have been labeled as the "fun police". Not that I care, but this illustrates the attitude of the people we're trying to help. I hear a lot of people who think that this regulatory crackdown is limited to NY and CA. Yes, NY sucks, but the topic of this thread is of national concern.

What can prevent this ban? Reversal of the death rate trend.
Who can reverse this trend? THE PARENTS. By taking resposibility for their own riding safety and the safety of their children who they are supposed to love.

Remember the thread about the 6 kids on ONE quad who got hit by a drunk driver? Only 1 survived I think? Yes, the drunk driver was at fault, but if their parents didn't allow them to ride 6-up, then maybe 4 lives would have been spared.

Speedy2222 - It sounds like you learned after a couple wrecks. I'm glad that you didn't become another number to add to these statistics. And considering that you always wear a helmet I think that everyone here should thank you for being cautious enough about your own life to wear it. It is clear that not many people your age do. I still think you should take the classes, though.

Old 11-13-2003 | 11:36 AM
KGB
|
Pro Rider

Speedy,
Good on you. Continue to wear your helmet. You might want to remove the picures of you not wearing one in your gallery though. Go take the class. I have ridden ATV and Motorcycles for 20 years, and I learned something fom a class last year.
All of you need to send in letters to the representatives, show your parents.

Old 11-13-2003 | 05:53 PM
Pro Rider

Alright I have a question. I thought there was ALREADY a ban on kids under 16 riding big quads. Or was that just a recommendation? Oh well, if only there were more responsible parents, and responsible KIDS. If they have enough sense to figure out how to ride one, they should have enough sense to put on a helmet. I always wear mine, but there's a lot of other kids my age that don't.

Old 11-13-2003 | 06:08 PM
KGB
|
Pro Rider

There is.
The proposal is to ban ANYBODY UNDER 16 FROM RIDING ANYTHING LABELED AS A OHV, as a passesnger or a driver. Thats why it is important to get involved.

Quick Reply: ATV ban for 16 and under ??? SERIOUS PROBLEM ON THE HORIZON!