Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Your a Representative!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003 | 01:38 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Your a Representative!!!

I just want to remind everyone that our worst enemy is us! I don't mean the people on this forum necessarily, but the ATV community. Here are some of our biggest problems.

1. Do not pit ride! Do not ride around the trailheads, and for God sakes, don't let your kids either! People will be forming an opinion about all of us right there.

2. Wear your helmet! The enviro's are even getting together with some very biased doctor groups in an attempt to hurt us in other way's. I'm going to offend a LOT of people here, but I don't care, you look like a bozo without one.

3. Don't throw your beginner friend on a quad and send him on his way. Why is it that people are so much more confidant trying out a quad as opposed to a motorcycle or horse. How many times have you heard someone say "I tried out my buddies quad after a few beers and flipped it over backwards with my kid on front" Redneck! Trust me, as anyone here can tell you, you don't wreck very often on a quad, but when you do, it realy hurts.

4. Volunteer your services with your state or county DNR for trail maintenance. Trust me, they appreciate and need your help. Plus, the more you learn, and the more you work with them, you'd be surprised how well they listen.

5. Lay off the sauce until after the ride! I like camping and beer as much as the next guy, but liquid courage and riding over your head leads to disaster.

6. Take the time to talk to the other user groups out there. People you meet on the trail, whether it be horseback, motorcycle, hiker, bicycle, etc.. are there for the same reason as you, to enjoy their hobby. Talking to, and saying "Hello" with a smile to, changes perceptions.

I know, it sometimes takes away from your fun if you have to be more responsible and think about this crap. It shouldn't be this way, but it's reality. We need to make sure our kid's will be able to use public land 15 years from now.

YoDaddy1, president
Washington State Quad Riders

Old 11-13-2003 | 10:12 AM
Range Rover

1. What's pit riding?
2. amen.
3. um. amen! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
4. agreed, except that if you're in NY then there are no state trails. Volunteer with Trailpass!
5. amen again.
6. That's a perspective that I haven't heard yet. What an AWESOME suggestion! I always try to act friendly, but I see how some rider who just blows past you and ignores you can give a negative impression. Like they don't care about anything else.

Old 11-13-2003 | 05:00 PM
Range Rover

Oh yeah - f*ck safety. When you crash your quad and bash your skull in, you'll end up feeding off my hard-earned taxes because you're a freakin vegetable. Your kid will grow up with a father who can do nothing but drool and grunt. Maybe your wife even loves you enough that she'll wipe your a$$ for you every day for the rest of your miserable existance.

Could it happen to you? nah! you're superman.

You OBVIOUSLY don't care what people think. maybe you should.

I'm glad that you're sick of hearing about helmets, because you're going to hear more and more.

Old 11-13-2003 | 06:26 PM
KGB
Pro Rider

Wow!
You are exactly right Yodaddy. I know that people like Bartlett say its their choice, and it is. The problem is that the enviro-***** and CPSC are really teeing off on all the injuries and deaths. The rate of deaths is rising faster that the rate of new quad sales. This is a problem.
Bartlett, I respect your decision to wear or not wear a helmet. It is a free country.
The problem is that if too many more people end up dead, the Government will take more of our rights away.

Old 11-13-2003 | 09:46 PM
|
Pro Rider

Bartlett, what do you have against helmets? Personally, I've had concussions with a helmet, I ride very hard, but never over my head. I'm not saying "live in fear", but the odds of hurting yourself on an ATV are greater than you think.

Memento, pit riding is when people haul a$$ all over the staging areas or the parking lots. There's nothing more ignorant than that. To the dipsh*t's who do this, stop it, if you are wheeliing and revving the hell out of your bike. Good riders look at you with disgust. If you think you're so talented, go racing.(where, of course, you'll need a helmet) LOL

Old 11-14-2003 | 10:20 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: BartlettRacing
I dont have nuthing aginst wearing a helmet...

...The thing that does bother me is seeing kid's riding with out them ! there not old enuf (or smart enuf) to make that choice . my kid will never get on without one ,untill she is 18 and then it's her choice !
But wait! You just said "Guess what my kid dont wear a helmet". Make up your mind.

Thanks for the explanation YoDaddy1. I've never seen that around me. Most people here seem to be trail riders with utes. Plus we don't have any big parking lots! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-16-2003 | 12:49 AM
|
Pro Rider

Nobody is TELLING you what to do Joe Dirt, we are just trying to protect our sport. What would it hurt anyway, messing up your mullet!?!?! (don't get mad dude, I'm teasing)

Old 12-05-2003 | 03:51 AM
Pro Rider

Helmets...

I don't think that wearing a helmet is the most important aspect of portraying a positive image of the ATV'er. I think that interaction with other user groups is the key to everything (and yes, I realize that I am reiterating what has been said earlier). If you see a hiker or mountain biker on a trail don't treat them with malice, disrespect or any other negative connotation. It could be that they would like to be an ATV'er but just can't afford it.

Don't assume that every hiker is a granola eating member of Greenpeace that longs to go to some commune and reach Nirvana with the Majarishi (sp?). Just throttle back for a few seconds to let them pass or even try to strike up a conversation with them. On a ride a while back we came to a bridge were we encoutnered a group of about 15 horsemen. I knew that horses could easily spook so my uncle and I simply pulled over and waited for them to cross. We exchanged a few canned pleasantries and everyone went on their way. We need more positive interaction with NON ATV'ers.

Most of the people you meet in the outdoors are there for the same reason you are. They want to get away from the office, the fax, the E-mail, the phone and all of the other modern day chains that tie us to the job just as much as we do. But you see the one thing we all have in common is a love for the outdoors, that is why you meet them on a trail and not in a mall. It's just like anything else in life, common courtesy will take you a long way (No I do not advocate the joining of hands and singing Kum-by-ya or however you spell it).

The last thing I will add is this. Don't be afraid to contact your elected officials. Years ago back in 1993 I got really torqued over something to do with copyright laws. I placed one call to my state representative. I left a message and thought Well that is the last I will ever hear of that and went out to lunch and to run errands. When I came back a couple hours later I had three voicemails from my state representative himself, not a secretary or aide but the actual elected official. I explained my plight to him and he agreed. The next day he called me back and explained WHY he could not help me (Federal copyright laws supercede ANY AND ALL state regulations regarding copyright). But to make a long story short, the fact of it is that sometimes your elected officials are more open to your opinion than you think.

And as long as we are on the subject of contacting elected officials, US mail is still regarded as being more effective than E-mail and is the preferred means of communication. I shall now wipe the sweat from my brow and humbly climb down from my soap box.

Bob

Old 12-05-2003 | 05:17 AM
Pro Rider

yodaddy: good advice!

we have an area here we frequently share with horseback riders. as soon as we see them, we pull off and shut down.
I dont want to spook a horse and get someone thrown off. They really enjoy us quadders......now dirt bikers, here at least, dont seem to have the same respect for other users [according to them]. Un fortunately, when the gumment gets involved, we all get lumped into he same pile.

hey for death rates and injuries, etc, check out the latest issue of ATVA news: the latest stats are in there and the ratio of quad hours to injuries is going down, dramatically! according to the CPSC !!!! it's their charts, YEAH. prob on the website too.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

forgot: pit racing is dangerous!!! dont speed around in the pits, youre gonna whack somebody's kid and the old man is gonna pull a big ole gun outta the truck... you wont wanna go thru that. plus I dont like dirt in my samich an chips...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 12-09-2003 | 05:55 PM
Pro Rider

Was Ozzy riding a quad or a gator type vehicle? I have heard it mentioned as a "quad bike" but also as an "ATV cart." I wonder if the CPSC will use this as a rallying cry to bring attention to their ongoing crusade agains ATV's? Does anyone think this could have any negative reprecussions? I wonder if Ozzy was riding in a reckless manner?

Bob

Quick Reply: Your a Representative!!!