Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Atv laws not surprising!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2004 | 10:27 PM
Trailblazer
Default Atv laws not surprising!

I agree with this post, these reasons are why other than 4 ridiculous legal places (3 are tracks not open year round and 1 costs $300 a year and will go up next year) to ride we have no where to go and riding illegally is the norm in New Jersey. People put there stuff on the line every day here at some gravel pit, woods etc. If guys wore helmets, didnt litter, and threw out that loud pipe people wouldnt be complaining. If you dont have your own land or permission most people risk it out here. I ride around the corner from my house for the last 7 years on powerlines and no one has said a thing to me maybe because I am respectful of others like the neighbors, clean up the place when an idiot litters when Im not out there and make sure it is kept low-key. That is why I have a spot, it may not be legal but its a spot that i havent had a problem with.

Old 01-27-2004 | 11:08 PM
Pro Rider

veryy few places to ride over in the uk, and the ramblers association, (same as your sahara club i think) are trying to make sure weve no access to any of them,

weve just lost a small plott of land we used to ride on cos the developers have moved on to build a factory or something, never had any bother on there cos most of the lads used to suit up properly and the police could see we were being as resposible as we could and left us to it, in the last couple of months before the work started there was a rash of young kids on nicked bike and cars on there and the police started talking about bike confiscations and all sorts,

same things happening on a local beach i ride quite often, people have ridden there for many years without permission and nobody has ever told them otherwise,

same story tho, dickeds in nicked cars tairing around the place and leaving them burnt out has meant we will loose out on a realy good place to ride,

i just wish people would be have more responsably, you guys in the USA dont know how lucky you are i only hope that when you do realise its not with hindsight when your not able to ride anywhere,

of the whole network of trails and ancient rights of way in the UK less than 5 percent are able to be ridden on by vehicles, and this is only because of ancient laws that give us that right, the ramblers want to take these rights away and have it all for them selfs,

Old 02-02-2004 | 06:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

I agree,

and you did forget trash. Its just sad how the enviormentalist are trying to close all riding areas, and how a certain group of individuals are giving them all the ammunition they need. Please, lets be more responsible when it comes to safety and littering. I love this sport too much to have it spoiled by a group of idiots. Anyone who sees this respone please be aware of all the individuals helping our sport become endangered and extinct. Remind them, to keep our riding areas clean and safe and we will survive this goverment and enviormentalist storm.

One more, most of use don't drink and drive in our vehicles. It goes the same with ATV'S

Lets all have a blast

Old 02-06-2004 | 03:02 AM
Pro Rider

I cant agree more with this post. i live in maryland i we have some of the STUPIDEST riders in the world here, anything that you can do wrong or illegal on a quad these morons do it on purpose. and we are literally losing another trail system every month, well we barely have any public riding land left, and what little bit we do have...the morons ruin it for us "smart" riders.i will admit that no matter what quad im on i do tend to ride slightly fast and aggressive at times, but i ride with common-sense and i know what im doing with more than 14 years of experience on them. but i often see beginners and rookies who have no clue how much power their brand new machine has and they go and half-kill themselves. but unstead of them being punished for their own stupidity, only us smart riders pay the price for what they do. it is truely sad.

Old 02-06-2004 | 03:38 AM
Pro Rider

I Agree with almost everthing in the post...I ride on corp land and have talk to the folks who manage and control it..I ask whats the worst thing about atv riders and they said the mess left behind..TRASH...Because some DRUNK A$$ cant throw his beer cans in the back of his truck and people throwing soda cans and there trash in general on the ground and not even think twice about it... The second thing was no protection... There again some IDIOT just bought his first sport quad and wants to go out and look COOL..No shirt hat on backwards shorts, and give it all its got...OPPS DIDNT SEE THAT TREE!!!!

On the pipe subject.....Those of you saying oh ya pipes bad quiet good....If your riding a sport quad like some of your icons above your name show...you know that the cheapest power mod is a pipe and 90% have a loud pipe..Its your responsability to buy a quiet core for your pipe and put it to use in sound sensitive areas...I like to ride fast and have a loud pipe thats why I bought a sport quad... But its the riders responsability to ride responsably and put you quiet core in when needed just like your spark arester...

Old 02-06-2004 | 11:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Your right about the pipe issue, I have a Raptor, yz450f and a Trailblazer and all of them have after market pipes( and we all know how load a 4 stroke can get). Like you said, an easy cheap mod. Me personally, have no problems with a load pipe. I believe theres other things in this world that are more disturbing then an after market pipe. We just need to help clean up our sport. All the cool idoits out there need to follow the rules when it comes to safety gear and trash.

I have a son who owns a R-1 and he had an accident about a month ago. He was wearing his safety gear, and I'll tell you what: he prevented lots of unnecessary pain wearing his gear. But he still ended up braking his ankle and thumb. It just goes to show you it can happen anywhere. My son is an excellent rider, he has been riding since he was 7 years old, starting out on a minibike.

If we keep going the way thing are going in all riding areas, our sport will be gone. So, lets pass on the word when it comes to safety gear, trash and driving drunk on a atv.

Old 02-09-2004 | 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

The problem is not 'junior'. The problem is the stupid parents that buy junior an ATV that's too big, so he can 'grow into' it. But junior never grows up at all, instead ends up dead because the PARENTS bought him something he couldn't control!!!! Then we get the CPSC all over us for that....

Old 02-10-2004 | 04:02 PM
Trailblazer

Most of us are resposable riders and put safty as a #1 priority its the few who break all the rules and
screw us all.
So what are going to do about it, talk to the snowmobilers who run free dureing the winter in my area, not to mention the summer races they have on grass not snow, that can't be safefor man or machine!!

Old 02-13-2004 | 12:45 AM
Trailblazer

All the posts are good but some seem to miss the most important issue-tolarence. In the eighties I was out bashing around in a jeep CJ. The ninties roaring up and down the three rivers of Steeler country in a 21foot with a 454 inboard. Now I got an ATV. Hopfully I'm older and wiser. Not many places left that 4 wheelers are aloud. Lots of no whake zones in the water. Came to the laurel highlands to get out of the city. Every harley here seem to run open pipes and fly through all the gears in 20 seconds or less. I guess its my turn to hate that sound.
The ATVers have to learn like so many before them that the forests belong to everyone,hunters, campers,hickers, bickers, and bird whatchers and yes the animals to. And they in turn need to tolarate us. I guess besides litter the noise is a problem for the others. I like it loud is no longer good enough. If it distubes others, who are there for the sounds of silence, and we need them to tolerate our passing disturbence. You want more power buy 50 more CCs. Yeah I know you still will want an open pipe on that. We all have to give up a little, so that we can each tolerate the other a little more. They have to not mined the ruts we sometimes leave behind. In the end, probably the golden rule would be the answer to it all. Or we all lose; more than we may deserve.
Thanks for letting me vent my 2 cents.

Old 02-17-2004 | 11:44 PM
TRV
|
Trailblazer

Almost 600 fine ATVers have read this post! My intent was not to offend or insult anyone on their choices or actions but to point out my thoughts from someone who purchased an TRV(Arctic Cat 2 person ATV) this last summer and turned 40 last week. So I guess for most of you I am new and old to the sport. It's good to see my thoughts were probably not as "square" as I feel at times but my profession(Banker) and upbringing have brought me to conclude that we are all responsible for ourselves and how we "present" ourselves to the non-ATV world. Positive character traits will go a long way to helping our sport. I appreciate everyones comments and views! Keep the rubber side down!

Quick Reply: Atv laws not surprising!