Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Looking for a place to ride with kids..

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2004, 09:44 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a place to ride with kids..

Wondering...??
Are there any places that you can take a famly of ATV riders INCLUDING a 6 yr old and ride legal..??
I have heard that in the UP in MI that they "wont bother you" if your riding conservative.. is this true.??
I want to do it legal.... and have beent old that there are "private" campground/ trail riding places that will allow 6 yr old....

He rides and "age appropriate" atv....and wears all the saftey equip... but he wants to get out and trail ride, and he is getting bored going in circles...hahah

Thanks for any info....
Deb

Old 03-01-2004, 08:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

You could always head south of the MI WI border and ride on some of the trails in Northern Wisconsin. I live in Southern Wisconsin but I have relatives the live just south of the UP border.

Who may operate an All-Terrain Vehicle?

* No one under the age of 12 may operate on a roadway under any circumstances.
* No one under 16 may rent or lease an ATV.
* Persons under 16 years of age may operate for agricultural purposes under the supervision of a person at least 18 years of age. (Supervised does not mean continual direction or control by an adult. However, Wisconsin Statutes do not say what it does mean.
* Children under 12 years of age may operate a small all-terrain vehicle on an all-terrain vehicle trail designated by the Department if child is wearing headgear and accompanied by a parent. (Small ATV means an ATV that has 4 wheels and that has either an engine certified by the manufacturer at not more than 90 cc's or an equivalent power unit - s. 23.33(1)(jp).) (Accompanied means being subject to continuous verbal direction and control per s. 23.33(1)(a))
* Children ages 12-15 years old may operate if using headgear and either accompanied by a person at least 18 years of age or in possession of an ATV safety course completion certificate issued by the Department or another State or Canadian Province.
* Children ages 12-15 may not operate on roadway except when ATV is used as an implement of husbandry and the person holds a valid ATV safety course completion certificate.
* Anyone 16-17 years of age may operate without DNR certification provided headgear is worn and privileges have not been revoked in a court of law.
* Anyone 18 years of age and older.

NOTE:

Persons under 18 years of age may not operate or be a passenger on an ATV without wearing protective headgear with the chin strap properly fastened. The only exceptions are:

1. Persons over 12 years of age travelling for hunting or fishing purposes.
2. During operation for agricultural purposes.
3. When operated on land under the management and control of the operator's immediate family.

Last Revised: Monday July 07 2003

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/es/en...ety/atvage.htm

Old 03-01-2004, 08:56 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for that info...
We live in southern MI... so it woule be quite the drive.... to get to WI... but it may be worth the trip..
I will look into the trails there...
Deb

Old 03-02-2004, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i know i'm behind the curve on this ,being in iraq and such but i just got last month dirtwheels mag and it has a whole section on trails in upper and lower michigan so find that and enjoy your rides .

Old 03-03-2004, 10:52 AM
Trailblazer

I read that article also.... but in MI NO ONE under the age of 12 is allowed to ride in MI.....
so that pretty much eliminates that....
I have found one private place "owigami trails" or something like that...that lets kids ride....

unless you are on your OWN private land.... doing "farming chores"....
like that isnt more dangerous than going for a slow trail ride.. duh....

I understand that there needs to be rules and regulations to protect the ignorant.... but it would be nice to be able to take my son, who is learning the right way on a nice slow trail ride...

Thanks
Deb

Old 03-03-2004, 12:19 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

when I first read this thread title,,,,Michael Jackson came to mind...........

If you ever make it to Washington,,,I can show you some good 'family' type places

good luck

Old 03-03-2004, 12:23 PM
Trailblazer

Nope..sorry no Mikey here.....LOL

Yuk.... Jack-o is a Sick-o.....................

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-03-2004, 12:28 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2006, 03:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 7 year old and have been wanting to share the sport with him for a long time, but thought the laws would prohibit him using a ATV....but come to find out the law is written to state and atv is defined as having a 50cc - 500 CC engine...any engine size outside that is an ORV and he can drive on the trails with a valid safety cetifcate. I am now on the hunt for a 49.5 cc quad....or one that looks like one with more power...

Link for more info:
Link to info

Old 04-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Every state is different, so make sure you are going to be legal before you make committments for hotels etc... Most are based on the CPSC guidelines, but you will find just as many deviations, and total ignorance too.

Quick Reply: Looking for a place to ride with kids..