Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

New Minnesota law

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 11:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Minnesota law

Does anyone know about the law, Where you can't take any ATV or quad or Dirt bike through any marshes, rivers, ponds, creeks, pretty much anywhere with water, where cattails are present even on your own land? Some people got arrested by the DNR at the end of the summer last year, because they got video taped by some hunters, while they were playing around in a pond.

IS this law true, or do you know where i can find some info on it?

Old 04-09-2004, 11:32 PM
Pro Rider

As stupid as it sounds, you can get in trouble for "destroying wetlands" or "violating water quality". I work for a gas pipeline as an environmental inspector. My job is to keep my company out of trouble with agencies such as DNR, Department of fish and wildlife, department of ecology, core of engineers, etc... Most of these just regulate companies but the Department of Fish and Wildlife has enforcement officers otherwise known as "Game Wardens". They have authority similar to a state trooper. They can throw people in jail. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Wetlands are a great habitat for wildlife but the government has went stupid over the last few years. It has gotten so bad that people can't even build on their land because of wetlands. There needs to be a happy medium.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 04-10-2004, 05:46 AM
Elite Pro Rider

This is the latest, and isnt the easiest to read, mn dnr
The law started last year, and at first, all wetlands were off limits, even on your own property. You could ride a tractor or bulldozer thru it, but not an atv. Now they realize it was overly restictive, and are trying to reclassify the wetlands.