Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

John Kerry rides an Arctic Cat

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default John Kerry rides an Arctic Cat

Kerry is a hunter and an ATV rider. He DOES NOT WANT to close public lands to ATVs.

Here is one of the questions posed to his camp by myself during a call-in radio internet program:

Q: How does Mr. Kerry feel about off-road recreational riding of ATVs and motorcycles? With the numbers of ATV riders growing each season this is a legitimate issue of concern. Many riding areas are getting closed around the country, forcing families to drive several hours just to enjoy their sport of choice.

A: Thank you for your question, Mr. Kerry understands from where it is your question is being delivered. As a hunter, Mr Kerry is well aware of the benefits of having an All-Terrain Vehicle to access lands that would otherwise be too vast to traverse in any reasonable time. He has no direct plans to close or to protect any lands from ATV access. Unfortunately most of the closures you speak of happen on a local level and are not subject to government sanctions in any way. Private properties are often closed in relation to insurance regualtions and local land ordinances. As an environmentally responsible President, one must be aware of the fine line that must be tread in order to reach a reasonable balance. However Mr. Kerry does not feel the government should strong-arm anyone into closing lands which are now open to public access. At the same Mr. Kerry wants to be sure that the lands that are used for public access are respected at a high level.

There was more to the answer but that's the gist of it.

Old 10-14-2004, 09:14 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

[quote]
Originally posted by: ss97
Kerry is a hunter and an ATV rider. He DOES NOT WANT to close public lands to ATVs.

Here is one of the questions posed to his camp by myself during a call-in radio internet program:

Q: How does Mr. Kerry feel about off-road recreational riding of ATVs and motorcycles? With the numbers of ATV riders growing each season this is a legitimate issue of concern. Many riding areas are getting closed around the country, forcing families to drive several hours just to enjoy their sport of choice.

A: As an environmentally responsible President, one must be aware of the fine line that must be tread in order to reach a reasonable balance.

Hi ss97, How have you been? I know we are not going to agree on this, however I enjoy your take on this stuff. In my opinion this sentence is the key to his answer.Key word's, "environmentally responsible" , "reasonable balance". For me the scariest part is "reasonable balance". Dont you think that has broad interpetation?

On the side, Since I am very ignorant of the OHV situation on the east coast, living here in Ca. What is the riding situation in New York, Public lands, private property, where do you ride most?

Old 10-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

He is in bed with the far left environmentalists, and will say anythihng you want to hear, in order to get your vote! You just wait, if he gets elected you will quickly see the REAL Kerry. We will see many REPRESSIVE measures in the area of gun control and environmental policy.

You can't trust ANYTHING this man says! All you can trust is his voting record, which speaks for itself. Wake up! This guy is so far off to the left, he makes Kennedy look like a conservative. And, do you want to have to look at his loud mouthed wife for the next four years???

Old 10-14-2004, 10:30 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: reconranger
And, do you want to have to look at his wife for the next four years???
Horrifying, Never thought of that before. Thank's for giving me yet another reason to vote "Bush in 04"

Old 10-14-2004, 12:03 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

RECON:

Bush's record is not real great either. In case you didn't notice, lands are being closed RIGHT NOW and BUSH IS STILL IN OFFICE!~!

People are missing this point.

It does not matter who is in office with repsect to land closures.

If I had posted the SAME thing about Bush people would be saying "See Bush LOVES ATVs"

It's a product of interpretation and personal perspective.

Old 10-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

WifesQuad,

Most of the land closing in NY happens at the local level by private owners. The public riding areas are actually growing in numbers with more private owners making areas open to the public. The problem in NY are the land taxes going through the roof, forcing the sale of more lands by public and private sectors, most of which are being turned into housing.

I know in Cali you guys have your hands full, and you too have a GOP gov in office.

Old 10-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Also,

as you pointed out that sentance is kind of generic and passive. But from the rest of the answer I got the feeling that Kerry will be far more hands-off than people are saying in repsect to the environment.

He plans on going after corporate pollution more than personal enviro issues like land closing. He wants the big and small business alike to be responsible towards the environment and I tend to agree with that.

Bush has been soft on getting in the faces of the large corporations in that respect.

Old 10-14-2004, 01:05 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

ss97, Enjoy your point of view. I just have a hard time believing John Kerry. And I basically vote the party, not the man.
As an example, and please, I dont want to debate this topic, just using it as a example. If John Kerry was saying he was going to cut down on the number of abortions in this country, could we believe that? And as a twist if George Bush was claiming he was going to make abortions available to anyone who wanted one, could we believe him? I dont think so. They both will go with their partys side.

Respect your riding area, it's the only way to really keep lands open for ATVs. Give them no excuse to make us look bad and they have no leverage with which to force us to bend.

I think that this statement and the noise issue's are our biggest down fall.
Can you imagine a silent quad/dirtbike. You could ride it almost anywhere, who would know?

Old 10-14-2004, 04:58 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've already said how I feel about the two party system we have, so I won't go on bashing "Straight Ticket" voting.

wifesquad is right about sound. That's going to be the next attack that we face in California. The neighbors of Hollister Hills SVRA sued, and "won" against the state for not enforcing the sound statutes with regard to OHVs. Now, Hollister is at the forefront in the SVRAs for checking sound. And I completely support it. It's about being good neighbors. The next SVRA to face this is going to be Oceano Dunes (aka "Pismo"). First on the chopping block will probably be night riding.

The thing that always bugs me is people who move to an area where there is a lot of noise. And then they complain about the noise. This used to be a bigger issue in Fresno around the airport. The CA ANG used to fly F-4 Phantom jets. They were replaced with quieter F-16s (single afterburning turbofans as opposed to the Phantoms twin powerplants.) The airport has been there since WWII, if not before. You have the same thing happening around ODSVRA. People are moving in, and paying a lot of money for their ocean view homes. And then get mad when people in the dunes go racing around at night. And yes, the sound carries out of the area to the southwest.

People need to respect and obey the 96dB limit (as a general rule. Some older Competition class bikes can be up to 101 dB.) Personally, I can't stand loud bikes. They are obnoxious. If you are closed circuit racing, that's one thing. But when you are out running around, it's dumb. Plus, it takes power to make that sound. I would rather the power go out the tranny, than the exhaust pipe. And they don't save lives. They cost land.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 10-14-2004, 05:11 PM
KGB
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will also stay out of the right v left thing, but I wanted to add this:

If any one believes what either of these two are selling in the weeks prior to the election (or for that matter their whole life), you should not be admitting it to anyone, I feel embarrased for you. I bet you believe that Kerry is going to get France and Russia to help us in Iraq too, and that Bush is going to do something abot illegal immigration.........
Stick you head back in the sand.....lol

Quick Reply: John Kerry rides an Arctic Cat