Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Is it legal - trail riding with 3 yr old passenger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2004, 05:02 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it legal - trail riding with 3 yr old passenger?

I have a 1999 Polaris Sportsman that I just bought and my little guy whose 3yrs old loves to ride around the yard with me. I never ride very hard or fast with him on it but I would like to take him out on the trails. I've constructed a seperate bar that will attach to my handle bars that he will hang on too and he'll sit in front of me. I've taken him on several snowmobile rides and he's done great except for getting cold after awhile. But I'll take it any day to spend time with him doing what we both love to do. I was wondering if it is legal. He isn't old enough and responsible enough to get his own. Any thoughts on this?

98Silverbullet

Old 10-18-2004, 05:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If you ride in MN, its totally legal to do so. But its the only state I know of, that purposly has a law, allowing it. There isnt a "law", saying you cant, in WI. Its just strongly urged, that you dont. If you ride a few trails, youll see many people riding two up, and unless youre driving carelessly, you wont be stopped.
Be aware of how badly you and he are gonna feel if he gets hurt. 3 is pretty young, to understand the dangers.

Old 10-20-2004, 04:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Honestly, the question should not whether it is legal or not, but is it safe??
Legal or not, we should not ride our kids out on the trails.
I would NEVER ride on the trails with your son. It is just flat out dangerous, period. No matter how good of a rider we are, **** happens, and that fact has been proven over and over again.

This topic has been debated pretty hard on here, pretty heated discussions.
If you look around here enough, you'll find the topics. Pretty interesting reading.
I'll go back and find them and put the link in here for you to read through.

Good Luck

Old 10-20-2004, 05:35 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 98silverbullet
I have a 1999 Polaris Sportsman that I just bought and my little guy whose 3yrs old loves to ride around the yard with me. I never ride very hard or fast with him on it but I would like to take him out on the trails. I've constructed a seperate bar that will attach to my handle bars that he will hang on too and he'll sit in front of me. I've taken him on several snowmobile rides and he's done great except for getting cold after awhile. But I'll take it any day to spend time with him doing what we both love to do. I was wondering if it is legal. He isn't old enough and responsible enough to get his own. Any thoughts on this?

98Silverbullet
don't know about the legality but it sounds real bone headed .... don't get me wrong I'm not trying to insult you or anyting but riding around the yard and trial riding are two different things.IMO.

Old 10-20-2004, 06:08 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

it would be a great way to injure your child if something went wrong (and you wouldnt be able to live with yourself if something did)

a sportsman is a heavy machine

maybe just stick to around the yard till the little fella grows up a little and can manage his own little quad

Old 10-21-2004, 08:41 AM
Trailblazer

Can you get chest protectors that small? First thing comes to mind is hitting a rut, log, rock, etc... and you being thown into the handlebars with your son in between. I don't mean to get graphic but I would be really hesitant unless it was an emergency situation. I have put-putted my daughter around the yard, but I would not take her on a trail. If you do consider it, try rigging something up on the rear. "I think" there is more of a chance of you flying forward than backward. Be careful, be smart and be dang sure you can live with the consequences. There are no take backs...

Old 10-21-2004, 09:22 AM
Range Rover

I wouldn't do it either....way too risky for the little guy. Bing's right, better to wait until he can ride his own.

Old 10-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dogg
Can you get chest protectors that small? First thing comes to mind is hitting a rut, log, rock, etc... and you being thown into the handlebars with your son in between. I don't mean to get graphic but I would be really hesitant unless it was an emergency situation. I have put-putted my daughter around the yard, but I would not take her on a trail. If you do consider it, try rigging something up on the rear. "I think" there is more of a chance of you flying forward than backward. Be careful, be smart and be dang sure you can live with the consequences. There are no take backs...
This happened near where I live Click Here. What a complete moron.

Old 10-25-2004, 07:52 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!

This happened near where I live Click Here. What a complete moron.

that just flat out sucks!!!!!

None of the fun anyone could ever have on an ATV is worth getting seriously hurt/killed over.

Old 10-25-2004, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

MORON is too nice of a word for him.
I putt around the yard with my kids but would never even think about going on to the trails with them
it may not be illegal but it is f--king stupid also when a tragety like this happens it makes all of us who ride look bad