Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Washington ATV Legislation

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2005, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washington ATV Legislation

REMINDER: HEARING, TUESDAY, JAN 18, 1:30 P.M. STATE CAPITOL IN OLYMPIA.
House Hearing Room D, John L. O'Brien House Building.

I have been in contact with several organizations and most of the major ATV and motorcycle groups in the state (at least in Western WA) plan to be at the hearing. But, there is room for more. The environmental groups are flocking to the Capitol in the last week. You can be sure they will be there in force. It is vital to have a good turn out of support for Representative Bill Hinkle. Please pass the word. If you can't attend, go to www.tvw.org for a live webcast of the hearing. After the hearing you can also get the audio from TVW.

Old 01-18-2005, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

I have rode in several different state and US forest lands here in Washington and I was just curious on besides posted state forest roads where it tells you to stay on designated routes only, what state forest roads are not legal to ride on? I know that the US forest service won't let you(accept in the Umatilla forest, Blue Mountains) ride on the gravel and dirt roads, but what state land areas don't?
One other thing that worries me is my 2 kids own lt80's and are only 8 and 9. If the state passes this new law will they buy back the new 80 I bought this summer?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] I guess I already know the answer to that one.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-18-2005, 08:55 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Dual sporter.. a couple thoughts... First off, I'd not throw too many stones at the CPSC folks... truth be known, they were forced to accept the guidelines as we know them today... they fought tooth and nail not to have them, but it was the manufacturers who pressed for them.. not the other way around.

I can't say I disagree with the age versus CC rating concept, however I do not think they are realistic in relationship to the technology employed today... Back when the machines were first introduced, and suspensions were pretty much non existant, they made sense I suppose, but today, the technology is filtering down to the mini level, and the machines are just better, and more importantly, SAFER than they used to be, so an increase in CC's, especially in the 11 to 12 yrs to 16 yrs range needs some tweaking. I agree with you that some form of certification would be nice, if a means for moving up in class is introduced in lieu of upping the CC per age ratio...

The problem with the whole concept, is that the Feds leave it up to the states to manage their own programs... If they want one that is... And there is not a movement afoot to introduce and enforce one standard...

The CPSC guidelines COULD be a good start, however like I said, they need to be reviewed every so often to make sure they are in tune with the sport and technology. Right now, nobody wants to tackle it...

Old 01-18-2005, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

The restrictions on road riding are in state law -- vehicles must be licensed and street legal.

Old 01-18-2005, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

Check out the blueribboncoalition website to get the skinny on the logging road issue... I think I heard somewhere that they had successfully countered the environmentalist's attempt to keep them off limits to ATV riding.... At least for now anyway. Sounded like the Forests service was on our side on this issue.... but you need to read it first hand.

Old 01-18-2005, 10:43 PM
Pro Rider

The hearing on HB 1003 went very well today. There was near acclamation of support. The Northwest Motorcycle Association and the SW Washington Offroad Riders Assn testified in support of the bill. The WA Snowmobile Assn signed up in support of the bill, but did not testify. The most helpful testimony was from the US Forest Service and the WA Department of Natural Resources supporting the bill. Their support is vital to getting the votes to pass it. In general the testimony talked about freeing up more usable land for safe riding by allowing roads for dual use (e.g. connector for trails and automobile access). They discussed that more trail opportunities will help entice rider away from illegally creating trails in private forests or going off trail on public lands. The USFS and DNR support the bill giving them a better ability to manage recreation activties on their lands.

The only sour note was from the Sierra Club, who testified with "concerns" but not opposed to the bill. Their basic concern is that the bill may give ORVs greater access to sensitive lands and increase the need for enforcement patrols to ensure new illegal trails are not created. Don't go ballistic, they are not opposing the bill and are not a problem at this point.

There apparently is a new version of the bill that is being discussed (text is not yet available). The new version would include a helmet requirement (with certain exceptions) and require direct adult supervision of minors riding on public lands. Both had the support of the ORV users at the hearing and from the land managers. A question was raised if this bill would negatively affect the current exemptions to such laws for agriculture lands and private lands. It would not. The bill would not change any laws about ORVs use on ones own land (or a friends) and would not require helmets for people riding on private lands.

Now that the bill has had a hearing, it can be considered for passage by the committee. This hearing was an important step in passing the bill. Look for a committee vote soon.

You can listen to the hearing from the Windows Media Link. HB 1003 is the first issue and the hearing lasts about 23 minutes. The recording goes longer, but unless you want to learn more about salmon habitat, you can cut it off after 23 minutes. The Recording cuts in and out for the first few minutes when the staff is providing a general overview (the guy was not speaking into his microphone!). Don't worry, stick with it and you'll get the substance. You will have to cut and paste the link, I could not get it work on the forum.

mms://198.239.32.152/Archives/200501/2005011078.wma

Real Audio Version:

http://198.239.32.151/ramgen/Archive.../2005011078.ra

Old 01-18-2005, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider

On another note, please send your thanks to Representatives Hinkle for sponsoring the bill and DeBolt, Kretz and Orcutt for thier vocal support during the hearing. Finally, the hearing would not have been possible, nor would the bill move, without the support of the Committee Chair, Representative Brian Sullivan. Sullivan's leadership on this is crucial to its success.

You can get information on how to reach the committee members here:

http://www1.leg.wa.gov/House/Committees/NREP/

Old 01-19-2005, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

thanks for the updates! finially something good might happen....instead of looseing more ground we gain..

Ragged

Old 01-19-2005, 09:19 AM
Pro Rider

Great active reporting... this is what needs to be done all over the country where our access rights are under threat... Keep up teh good word, and maybe let us know how you got involved, and how you came across the information.. It may help others who want to take action, but do not know how.

Old 01-19-2005, 10:44 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: RidinLCWA
Also, this week two bills were introduced on noise ordinances. SB 5089 by Senator Tim Sheldon (D-Shelton) prohibits riding "On lands zoned as residential within six hundred feet of another property owner's residence, or within six hundred feet of another property owner's barn, stable, penned area, or similar structure." This is likely the result of a property in Thurston County where they have set up a practice ATV racetrack. It has been the subject of press stories and neighbor complaints.
WHAT is going on with this one??? Does anyone know???

Quick Reply: Washington ATV Legislation