Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

What closes public land

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005 | 08:51 PM
|
Range Rover
Default What closes public land

Loud Pipes,Big Mud tires,snorkel kit winch toting ATVs.

Old 02-24-2005 | 09:36 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Nah.. irresponsibility of the riders.

Old 02-25-2005 | 04:18 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

Here in So. Calif., I have to say that around urban areas it has to be sound. If you have a stealthy pipe, nobody even knows you are around.

Even though we don't have "Big Mud tires,snorkel kit winch toting ATVs", out on BLM land I think errosion might be the main concern.

Old 02-25-2005 | 08:48 AM
|
Range Rover

It is true here in Texas the land is black dirt and you should see it after a group of mud dogers go thrugh, you would think a bomb hit it.But it really doesn't matter anymore because the State of Texas is cloused to ATV (public land) private land only.I just think the industry and sport is shooting it self in the foot,big foot kits,mud zilla tires,snorkel kit,and the pictures and articles in the ATV magazines showing some bozo in a mud pit three feet deep.Like it or not that is closing it down.So my point is that if your a mud doger make sure you are on private land with permission.

Old 02-25-2005 | 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

If judging loosely by what the environmentists are complaining about.. I think you are right. Environmental damage, and sound issues are constantly being used in their arguments to ban ATV access. Certainly, loud pipes and riding without sensitivity to the damage that is being done to the environment are two of the main causes, but the root cause is people not giving a D#*m about what effect their actions have on the sport in general.

Much of that lack of knowledge can be traced back to a lack of training.
The good news, is that we are seeing efforts to include envirnmental issues in formal training programs. The problem remains that few new riders are getting the training. The causes are many, but lack of instructors can be cited in many cases.

Adding to that, is the sheer numbers of gray market machines coming into the market at very low pricing, and the manufacturers of these machines are not participating in any rider awareness efforts. In short, our success in expanding the sport is causing problems. Without solving that issue, we are bound to fail.

This does not mean that steps are not being taken to improve the situation. Honda corporation has several rider training facilities already online, and plans for more in the future. In conjunction with teaching proper riding technique, they are including a major emphasis on environmental issues, and are teaching new riders techniques that are earth and environment friendly.

I fully understand the environmentalist position. All you have to do is walk a public trail system after a recent rain storm to see the damage that the ATV's are doing to the land. This damage has a snowball effect to the surrounding environment... however I don't think total denial of access is an acceptable answer either.

A better solution would be for them (environmenalists) to work with the DNR and legislators to inventory the existing trails, document the areas where changes in trail construction methods need to be made, and help the DNR develope a plan of attack and long range budget. That plan would be presented to the legislators and it would be their job to develop funding sources to pay for these upgrades. In many cases, the funding sources are already in place, and the dollars are sitting there gathering dust.

Construction techniques have improved greatly over the past decade or so. Witness the excellent work being done by the American trails organization. We have the technology and the knowledge.. the problem now is that what limited funds that are available are being spent on legal wrangling in the court system, and not out on the trails. THAT is the biggest problem.

This isn't a difficult thing to orchestrate. And the end results would be access for ATV and off road enthusiasts, and a cleaner and much more earth friendly trail system that would eliminate the enviro's biggest complaints. Hence, a win win for both sides. Sure it means compromise, but one that represents a significant improvement over what we have now, and it gets our labors out of the courts and into the field where it belongs.

Old 02-25-2005 | 01:53 PM
Pro Rider

IRRESPONSIBILITY. DONT LEAVE A MARK UNLESS YOU HAVE TO;IT UPSETS THE SPIRITS.

Old 02-25-2005 | 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

I'd like to add empathy too... Too many people thinking they can't do anything about it, so they let it happen. You have to remember folks, that every revolution, every breakthrough legislation, every major shift in policy starts with a simple idea, by one person. They share that with others, and they share with friends, and their firends share, and all of a sudden, you have a movement.

It all starts with that one person who says enough is enough... and acts on it.

Old 02-27-2005 | 08:15 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!

Depends on where you are.

Where I'm from (East Coast NJ/NY) most lands are closed because they are sold to builders, for houses and shopping malls.

Out west it seems to be more of an environmental issue.