Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

ATV'er killed

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV'er killed

We've got people killing themselves on sleds every year here in Michigan also. The difference being that your average snowmobile association member understands the value of having top-notch representation in all things political and "PR"...while the average atver is content that groups go to important CPSC meetings hollering about how "You can't legislate responsibility" while standing right next to our national guys like they were brothers.

There isn't a person in my state who I'd point to as the "go to guy" on atv issues....and we have THREE THOUSAND miles of trails!

How long do you think it takes before those "agin us"....figure this all out?

Old 03-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV'er killed

Snowmobiling here is over regulated, it has become a rich mans sport. Atving is still just a passtime here where is sledding has become big business. We are worried that the atving is headed that way, Bigger and faster sleds and trails that are like highways

Old 03-03-2005, 03:22 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Default ATV'er killed

Helmuts aren't the issue here. We don't know from the article who was or wasn't wearing a helmut. The article didn't say. It did say the snowmobile and ATV met at the crest of a hill. The message to ATV'ers is that if you ride on snowmobile trails, hug the right side on hillcrests and blind corners, even at the risk of getting stuck. Better yet, stay off the snowmobile trails, especially on weekends.

The article about the ATV'er's death also said: "A deadly weekend on Wisconsin's snowmobile trails pushed the number of fatalities to 26 so far this winter." It didn't say how many of those killed were snowmobilers and how many were ATV'ers, but we know that at least one was riding an ATV. This shows that snowmobile trails can be dangerous places, although many of the snowmobile deaths happen on lakes where they go through thin ice or hit ice ridges at 90 mph.

Here's another bicycle analogy--when I'm riding my ATV on a snowmobile trail, I feel like I'm peddaling a bicycle down a freeway.

Old 03-03-2005, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV'er killed

Our biggest problem here is booze and speed. Hands down drinking is the main reason for snowmobiling deaths combined with speed of course. 4 out of five up here are drinking related

Old 03-03-2005, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV'er killed

Originally posted by: KINGSCLEAR
Our biggest problem here is booze and speed. Hands down drinking is the main reason for snowmobiling deaths combined with speed of course. 4 out of five up here are drinking related
...which is why the snowmobilers here in Michigan joined forces with others and created a huge PR campaign concerning it.....and the atvers can't even manage to show up at their advisory board meeting every 3 months.

I'm telling you, these "old school" orv users make us all look like just a bunch of chumps and absolutely nothing else (I wouldn't admit what I rode to one of these guys if they asked me....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]).

Old 03-03-2005, 03:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV'er killed

I'm an old school guy to a certain extent. I've been riding dirt bikes ,atv or snowmobiles on the trails up here for 34 years. And I admit to having a beer while I'm driving and I know probaly not wise. But I'll go on an 8 hour trip and take a 6 pack or less. like to hae a couple with lunch and maybe one after riding for a couple of hours.The younger guys up here are drinking their asses off and away they go. Policeing it is almost impossible with the amount of wilderness.

Old 03-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default ATV'er killed

I can remember a time when all we did was ride from one bar to the next.... we made a full circle and ended up back at the car.... sometimes, guys would make 2 or 3 laps...... Many are not with us any longer sad to say too...

I agree, that consitant laws, and consistant enforcement is needed. It shouldn't matter if I have crossed an imaginary border somewhere past the third pine on the right...

Old 03-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV'er killed

I hear you loud and clear on the old bones thing man loud and clear

Old 03-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV'er killed

I'm no more innocent than anybody else as far as the "old days" go....yet these snowmobilers just plain had to go the "zero tolerance" route with their very expensive PR campaign to try make any kind of dent at all in it.
Drunk on an orv is no different than in a car in MI....you're going to jail with the exact same penalties (.08 being the newly reduced limit).

Old 03-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV'er killed

Originally posted by: blackballed
Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
They will learn when...
They will &lt;STRONG&gt;learn&lt;/STRONG&gt; when the &lt;EM&gt;leaders&lt;/EM&gt; of these national organizations, clubs <u>and</u> riding areas...&lt;STRONG&gt;quit&lt;/STRONG&gt; coddling these "live free or die" riders who pay their bills and keep the lights on with their dues. Again, this community has absolutely &lt;STRONG&gt;no&lt;/STRONG&gt; sense of <u>who they are</u> on the common sense safety issues of our time and there is absolutely &lt;STRONG&gt;no one&lt;/STRONG&gt; willing to stand up to places like Windrock <u>and straighten them out</u>.

Tell me how you can teach your kid to &lt;STRONG&gt;respect&lt;/STRONG&gt; the common sense things you try to teach them &lt;EM&gt;everyday&lt;/EM&gt; on an atv...then take them to Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, etc. and participate in some entire festival glorifying these idiots who either just don't care or who are barely smart enough to come in out of the rain?
what the hell does that mean...oh yeah that right kentucky is full of dumb hillbillys.yeah that it..oh no it's starting to rain guess i'll just half to get wet..yeah i'm from kentucky

The only way we will even "start" getting this isuue under control is with STIFF FINES and/or good 'ol fashioned SHAME on the part of those willing to do what dragginbut suggests. Helmetless riders usually won't "see Jesus" until "A"... someone gets hurt/killed close to them and they somehow see &lt;EM&gt;through&lt;/EM&gt; all their friends trying to say a helmet wouldn't have made a difference....and/or "B" the rest of his riding buddies in no uncertain terms let him know that he's no Marlon Brando or Peter Fonda...rather a guy who doesn't give &lt;EM&gt;a rip&lt;/EM&gt; about risking bankruptcy for his family and/or leaving his kids fatherless or throwing a ball with Mom's new lover (while he's propped up against the wall with a sippee cup hanging out of his mouth).

On second thought....&lt;STRONG&gt;shame&lt;/STRONG&gt; just might be more effective. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: ATV'er killed