Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

My run-in with the law........

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My run-in with the law........

Checking to see if you had any warrants, etc. was standard procedure. Handcuffing you seemed to be a little over the top, esp. if there were no Posted Signs up. I agree that the area needs to be marked off if there is a danger of any rounds penetrating the riding area.

Old 05-23-2005, 11:23 PM
Quad Patrol

I agree 100% the area should be posted. If it is not, then, I would contact whoever's firing range it is and tell them it's not posted and that it's a liability. I read this story about him cuffing you. Every officer has their reason(s). Now, did he happen to tell you to stop, stay on or at your quad, was he telling you things to do, but, you still felt you wanted to be respectful and still shake his hand? Kinda sounds like there is more to the story. If not, and you feel he was a little over zealous, then talk to his superior. Law Enforcement doesn't need over zealous officers.

Old 05-24-2005, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

It is hard to say what the officer's motivation was... difficult to get inside someone's head... A question to superiors on procedure could clear that up. Like you I think it may have been a bit heavy handed, but we don't know if there is a procedural concern.. so we have to give them the benefit of a doubt. The thing I want to commend you on is that you stopped, and were respectful. At least one side of the communication process was working that day....

If I were to take you to task on anything, it would be for not knowing the area and obtaining permission prior to setting off on a ride. The existance of trails, and the lack of signage does not relieve you of that responsbility, nor does it give you permission to take advantage of them as well. You might find that a private club has already obtained the rights to ride... and all it would take is joining up to gain access. In Richmond, VA, there is a trail riding group that have done this for several riding locations within the state.

I feel you are trying to be a good citizen.. and I applaud you for that... keep up the good work.. and continue to be a good example for others to follow. God knows we are overly blessed with idiots here in the Commonwealth...

Old 05-27-2005, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

sounds to me like that cop was in a bad mood that day. i have a shooting range near where i ride also and there are signs all over that area. we still ride there just not when they are shooting. but since there are trails going through the shooting range where you were riding, im sure there had been signs b4 just other riders ripped em off so if they got caught they could just say "how was i supposed to know, there are no signs around here". weve all pulled that trick b4.

------------------------------------
04 Scrambler 500 4X4
few mods

Old 05-31-2005, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Not sure I follow your "somebody stole the sign" logic.... the bottom line is the rights are going to belong in the land owner's corner. Whether there are signs or not... is irrelevant.

If a person chooses to ride an area without knowing the lay of the land, and obtaining permission, they are subject to arrest, fines, and in some states, confiscation of their quad. If you run, the consequences go up.

I've been on the other side of that issue.. and was absolutely thankful the State Police was present, as I am sure they would not have found my body if the landowner had anything to do with it...

The only answer is to act responsibly, and KNOW where you are riding...

Old 06-01-2005, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
"...If I were to take you to task on anything, it would be for not knowing the area and obtaining permission prior to setting off on a ride...."
It's a matter of simple common courtesy that has everything to do with where you think twice of trespassing in every other aspect of your life (why even the mention of "running" ever finds its way into these conversations is beyond me.....).

Old 06-01-2005, 09:58 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 04SCRAMBLER500
"....im sure there had been signs b4 just other riders ripped em off so if they got caught they could just say "how was i supposed to know, there are no signs around here". weve all pulled that trick b4...."
I think that the terms "they" and "we" have gotten confused here....as I know many young impressionable riders on here who would not only beg to differ with that generalization; but claim that older riders on this board would never describe any measure of behavior that was less than <u>honorable</u> (sorry, but this is something which comes from a generation long since deceased; yet carried on by those few of us who were lucky enough to have known these people and <U>respected</U> how they modeled simple behavior in public).

Old 06-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider

I just wonder what the cop was doing hanging out in the woods. Did he have a lady with him or something

Old 06-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer

Funny you should ask that. I think they were out doing range maintenance at the time. Since I will be home for the 4th, I figure I will try a different route and ASK first if I can ride in the area (if they are not using the range, of course) before I just follow the trails back there. The worst they can say is no.

Old 06-29-2005, 01:12 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Originally posted by: kman01
Since I will be home for the 4th, I figure I will try a different route and ASK first if I can ride in the area (if they are not using the range, of course) before I just follow the trails back there. The worst they can say is no.
Ahh asking permission. Who would have thunk of it!

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote