Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Positive Results made possible with ATV usage

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2005 | 01:31 PM
|
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Default Positive Results made possible with ATV usage

How many of us have been watching the news lately and said a prayer that they find that lost Cub Scout in Utah this week. Well our prayers were answered on Tuesday... The boy was found.. but not in an area where they had expected to find him. Without the use of ATV's in the search party, they would probably still be searching.

That is good news and a positive use of ATV's that should be shared with the world... Sadly, the media made no mention of this. All the enviro's walking around in the bush couldn't find him... but it took an ATV rider expanding on the search area that made enough noise to get the boy's attention and get him to flag the rider down.

I guess all this makes me wonder, why is it that nobody wants ATV's in their back yard until they need them to help search for their missing child... Then they can't get enough of us out there looking.... it is a ponderous question...

Old 06-22-2005 | 01:36 PM
Range Rover

And I'm sure as soon as that ATV rider found him, they told him to now "GET THE HELL OUTTA HERE!!!" and then the police cited him for illegal riding or some BS.

Old 06-22-2005 | 01:53 PM
|
Pro Rider

Yeah, and took pictures of the environmental damage to use against him in court... Either that or they may have asked him for his UTAH registration sticker...

Old 06-23-2005 | 12:29 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Actually according to news reports (CNN) the boy kept hiding from anyone on an ATV or horseback as he was taught to not talk to strangers. The Salt Lake Tribune article linked to in the other thread was the only report I ever saw that mentioned that the rescuer was on an ATV.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 06-23-2005 | 12:54 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
Actually according to news reports (CNN) the boy kept hiding from anyone on an ATV or horseback as he was taught to not talk to strangers. The Salt Lake Tribune article linked to in the other thread was the only report I ever saw that mentioned that the rescuer was on an ATV.
As a parent one tries to have a child to be cautious around strangers. The kid tried to stay away from strangers and it could have cost him his life. The parents report that the kid is a little slow too....so this compounds problems. Very lucky the one guy spotted the kid....probably had to run him down.

Old 06-23-2005 | 08:22 PM
Range Rover

the news said the man found the boy on an ATV trail, but i don't beleive he was on an ATV. he said the kid was just standing on the trail and the guy just started talking to him to get the boy to come with him.

Old 06-23-2005 | 09:52 PM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: Dragginbutt
Yeah, and took pictures of the environmental damage to use against him in court... Either that or they may have asked him for his UTAH registration sticker...
Why so negative? Something positive happened[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Quit beating the drum "poor old us on our atvs". News I saw was all positive and the best thing was, the atver wasn't anyone who gave the tree huggers "any reason" to go "off" on atvs. He was even wearing a helmet through out his interviews[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2005 | 01:40 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

I think draggin was being a bit faceitious in his comment. That the envirowackos would look for anything they could to offset the image of doing something good on an ATV.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 06-24-2005 | 02:07 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
I think draggin was being a bit faceitious in his comment. That the envirowackos would look for anything they could to offset the image of doing something good on an ATV.
I guess, his comment and Markymannn just got to me. I think that atver did nothing but good for the atv community[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] and to place anything negative[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] near it, takes away from it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] Facetious or not. JMO

Old 06-24-2005 | 12:01 PM
|
Pro Rider

Exactly my point Rescue Diver... We need more positive news coverage like this. Kudos to the guy that found him. The issue with me is the news coverage could have been better... too often the media is bashing us, and calling ATV's dangerous killers etc.... The point is that kid may not have survived if it were not for the ATV being there.

I did notice they started their piece locally with 3 riders heading out on the trail searching WITHOUT helmets. Hmmm...

Quick Reply: Positive Results made possible with ATV usage