Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

possible trail closure in pa due to landfill

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005 | 04:40 AM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!
Default possible trail closure in pa due to landfill

bmj you're correct. Nobody wants to know anything about our waste. They put it out at the curb, a truck comes by, and it disapears down the road. I actually read an editorial from a waste management publication that said the same thing. "It shouldn't be discussed in polite society," the writer noted, but feels is wrong. He, and others, praised the listing of the FSL (Fresno Sanitary Landfill) as it was a major step forward. He's on a team to do some work at Fresh Kill Landfill in NY (where the WTC rubble was taken.)

I've always seen shows (ala 60 Minutes, etc.) that show these barges going down rivers taking trash to another state. It always amazes me. I guess, because CA really can't do that.

I know my local city has a dump in the foothills north of town. Nothing really marks it. There's just a chain link gate and a bridge that goes across the creek. I think it might say "City of Clovis" but that's it. "If we hide it, it doesn't exist."

But back on topic, it sucks that they are looking at closing some recreation trails for a dump. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I'd say fight it. Make sure that people know the trail isn't used by just OHVers.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-13-2005 | 04:41 AM
Air Cooled Rider

I'm not sure if we have any incinerators here. I do believe we have some BioMass facilities (burn green waste), but not sure about solid waste.

Crow's Landing? I thought that looked like an incinerator back there.

Old 08-13-2005 | 05:30 PM
Pro Rider

we have an incinerator here that also generates electricity the company that owns the land fill (waste managment) also has built a lake that people fish out of all year long with part of the land fill right next to the lake it is suposedly an exclusive place where you can boat and fish but there is no way i would eat a fish from inside that lake and i dont understand why they have to ship garbage to our land fills here in pa from Ny and other places they have plenty of open land why cant the build the land fill there

Old 08-14-2005 | 02:55 AM
Quad Patrol

Originally posted by: BlackandRedWarrior
I'm not sure if we have any incinerators here. I do believe we have some BioMass facilities (burn green waste), but not sure about solid waste.

Crow's Landing? I thought that looked like an incinerator back there.
That's the one. Been up there a couple times. The incinerator is awesome looking

Old 08-14-2005 | 02:58 AM
Quad Patrol

Storj, it's cheaper for them to ship the waste to someone else's backyard. There is no EIR or permits to obtain. They find a place that is willing to take their trash and then, pass the shipping costs on to their clients.

Old 08-14-2005 | 03:13 AM
Air Cooled Rider

Originally posted by: rescuediver
That's the one. Been up there a couple times. The incinerator is awesome looking
Yeah I found the company's web site and they had a diagram of how it worked. Though I think I saw where they were able to process 800 tons/per day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] 30 tons is only a few truck loads.

Waste-to-Energy System:
Two 400 ton-per-day waterwall furnaces with Martin® reverse-reciprocating grates and ash handling system
When I was searching for what it was, I found a site umm like a conspiracy theory site, and people we're throwing out some weird @ss garbage about what it was because of the 30' tall fence on 5. LOL. Some people were thinking it was the Navy/NASA Crow's Landing Facility that's closed.

Old 08-31-2005 | 09:33 AM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Another interesting fact that you might look into is the status of the trail system in the first place... What I mean is, is it a state or federally funded trail system? Were any tax dollars used in it's creation? If the answer is yes, then someone has to repay those funds so that new trails are created somewhere else. the onus is on the local government that is creating the new landfill. Federally funded trails cannot be closed down without the funds being repaid, or used to provide alternative locations.

Old 09-01-2005 | 02:20 AM
Trailblazer

Now here's a good reason to be pissed about trail closure. Seriously...what's going to hurt the environment more...trail riding or a landfill? Though you do have to think: if you are going to throw stuff away, it has to go somewhere. Those of you concerned about waste and land fills in your back yard should read the book <u>Cradle to Cradle</u>. I can't remember the author, but he has some pretty interesting ways to deal with our waste crisis.

Old 09-01-2005 | 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

forget the waste crisis and look at the gas crisis it went up a dollar in a little over a week and is expected to rise still it is 3:50 for regular right now here in eastern Pa

Old 01-02-2006 | 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

It's all about money... and politicians. They go hand in hand. The rich &
powerful always get their way, no matter what. Meanwhile "we the
sheeple" sit back and preach to the choir. Want change? Then take a
minute sometime, and write your Pa. State Rep sometime, and ask him (or
her) why they don't support ATV use in more areas here in Pa. And when
they give you the standard politically correct sounding BS about damaging
the environment.... then ask them why they DO support Landfills, Strip
Mines, Clear Cuts, Industrial Parks.... things that completely REMOVE the
environment! And then remind them that you VOTE...

Quick Reply: possible trail closure in pa due to landfill