Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

possible trail closure in pa due to landfill

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2005 | 04:08 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default possible trail closure in pa due to landfill

i was reading another forum and i found a post about a portion of the trails in pa being closed because they want to put in a landfill. Here is the link to the post I saw. pa has less than 300 miles of atv trails as it is we dont need less. the trails are open to everyone not just atvers so everyone is affected. please follow the links on that page and voice your concerns even if you dont live here but just visit. who would want to see 200'+ plies of garbage when they come to visit

Old 08-09-2005 | 07:03 PM
Pro Rider

your link doesnt work and where in pa are they putting the land fill we already have one that is like 15min from my house and those piles of trash are huge id hate to see another dump go up in my area

Old 08-10-2005 | 12:01 AM
|
Trailblazer

link fixed. its in rush township. ive never been there myself but trails of any kind are better than garbage. they could have been walking trails only and it would have been fine but they are open to everythingso many people benifit. pa needs to stop being a dumping ground for out of state trash

Old 08-11-2005 | 02:21 PM
Pro Rider

You shouldnt see 200 foot piles of Garbage.. I design Landfills for a living , Its lucrative work for one Key reason.. Landfills are Usually designed on a 5 year cycle, Meaning they must open and be Capped (stop accepting waste and Have a 3' soil protective cover on top) within 5 years. SO there is always a new one going in somewhere, or Expanding on an Old Landfill.
As far as Garbage goes, Landfills are only permitted to work in an area small enough to be covered at the end of the day with 12" of soil or a rain cover. Trash Can not be left uncovered over night, If it is , its in violation. And its an Expensive Violation.
It usually takes about a year to design a current landfill, and about another year to get it pushed through the regulatory agencies, followed by depending on the size,3 to 8 months of construction before its even ready to begin accepting waste.
One Key You guys may Be interested in, is a Toby Fitch Study, Which basically says that if you can find a more suitable place for a landfill, you must put it there. What this does is keep people with 50 acres of ground from putting in a Municaple landfill in the middle of a neighborhood, when there are better places suited to put the landfill, This assures the lowest impact possible. If this was not done for this landfill in PA, it may be a point of contention and you may argue and petition it before the Regulatory agencies. Which at the very least will Delay the whole project if they havent done it.

Old 08-12-2005 | 02:16 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ktmguy70
You shouldnt see 200 foot piles of Garbage.. I design Landfills for a living , Its lucrative work for one Key reason.. Landfills are Usually designed on a 5 year cycle, Meaning they must open and be Capped (stop accepting waste and Have a 3' soil protective cover on top) within 5 years. SO there is always a new one going in somewhere, or Expanding on an Old Landfill.
As far as Garbage goes, Landfills are only permitted to work in an area small enough to be covered at the end of the day with 12" of soil or a rain cover. Trash Can not be left uncovered over night, If it is , its in violation. And its an Expensive Violation.
It usually takes about a year to design a current landfill, and about another year to get it pushed through the regulatory agencies, followed by depending on the size,3 to 8 months of construction before its even ready to begin accepting waste.
One Key You guys may Be interested in, is a Toby Fitch Study, Which basically says that if you can find a more suitable place for a landfill, you must put it there. What this does is keep people with 50 acres of ground from putting in a Municaple landfill in the middle of a neighborhood, when there are better places suited to put the landfill, This assures the lowest impact possible. If this was not done for this landfill in PA, it may be a point of contention and you may argue and petition it before the Regulatory agencies. Which at the very least will Delay the whole project if they havent done it.
the land fill near my house is covered with soil but the stink is still there also the garbage has piled to more than 200' its covered but its still not a pretty sight

Old 08-12-2005 | 02:00 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

KTM, didin't know all of that. Hmm. But I do know that around here the "landfills" operate for longer than 5 years it seems. The one I went to as a kid is closed now, but operates as a transfer station to some other dump. But there's one that is privately ran that's been open for a while. For years I had no idea what it was until I need to take stuff to a dump. It's not really a landfill, but rather a "mountain." The only way you know it's a dump is the heavy equipment that can be seen some days at the top, as well as a weather station.

IIRC, the idea for the modern landfill was actually started in Fresno. In fact the first landfill designed like that was on the National Historical Register, until it was revealed that it was a Superfund site. LOL I think now it's been turned into a park... Or part of it.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-12-2005 | 02:30 PM
Pro Rider

They can operate for more than 5 years, But need to have the a design in place to expand the landfill, or amend the permit.

We have landfills down here that have 40 years of life in them, Yet they Have to do an additional permit every 5 years .

Old 08-12-2005 | 03:58 PM
Air Cooled Rider
Future Govenator of Kalifornia!

Ahhhhh. I see said the semi-blind man. Fresno's was operating for like 50 years. But it opened in 1937, a bit before all the controls started.

Best Car Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

Old 08-13-2005 | 02:24 AM
|
Trailblazer

they want to put in an incinerator as well as the dump itself. a more suitable place for the garbage is to keep it where it came from. pa and ohio are the dumping grounds for the east coast. its total bs they dont want to see or smell it so they figure whos gonna complain here some farmers and amish with no phones. we already have to deal with acid mine runoff from the strip mines we shouldnt have to deal with other peoples garbage too

Old 08-13-2005 | 04:20 AM
Quad Patrol

We have one of those incinerator's near us. It burns around 30 tons of trash everyday. I think they bury like 2 tons of ash a day. Trash is brought in from all over. They recently bought land to expand it. The electricity that is generated by the plant is sold to an electric company.

Quick Reply: possible trail closure in pa due to landfill