Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Ethical dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2005 | 12:23 PM
|
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Default Ethical dilemma

Sunday, the second morning of the Wisconsin deer season, I decided to still hunt an old, overgrown logging trail that I had walked several times during grouse season. The snow we had on Wednesday and Thursday was melting and the trail was soft. What I found was a god-awful mess of muddy ATV tracks and churned up low spots. I followed the tracks and came upon a a Polaris 250, 2 wd machine parked beside the trail with two gun cases draped over it.

I can understand how two guys on a little 2WD machine could really rip things up, but the mess I saw was more than that. They had to have made several trips in and out of there, probably dragging deer out.

I took the number off the machine's registration sticker and am temped to turn it over to the DNR. However, I am in the process of trying to work through channels and get another, well used logging road in the area opened to motorized recreation. Attracting attention to the mess I saw could galvanize the opposition to my proposal, and give them some powerful ammunition.

But, I'm so p'd off I'm tempted to bring in the DNR anyway. I'm looking for input on what others might do in my position.

CLARIFICATION: Both trails mentioned above are on county forest land and both are closed to motorized recreation. The one I'm trying to get opened has been heavily used by logging equipment over the past 12 years, and the base is highly compacted. The one that is torn up hasn't been used for logging in at least 20 years and is largely overgrown with vegetation.

Old 11-21-2005 | 12:51 PM
Super Quad Patrol
Smokes meat all the time!
Default Ethical dilemma

so, was the area off limits to quads?
Were they just there to get their animal out?

Some people just don't care,,,and some people don't understand the negative impact they can inflict on trails and the sport itself.

Old 11-21-2005 | 06:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Ethical dilemma

Closed to motorized traffic? Biggest problem the ATV industry faces is a poor image from irresponsible riders. If you're trying to show good faith in negotiations to open another road, seems to me like turning them in would be an indication of your sincerity in 'cleaning up' the sport and a responsibility level you desire for the now closed road.

Old 11-21-2005 | 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ethical dilemma

You mentioned that this trail was an old logging trail..If so,the churned up chunks of trail should not really be blamed on just the ATVs.Nothing I've ever witnessed in 23 yrs of riding 3-4 wheelers can tear-up a trail as fast as a logging vehicle.Than after they [logging vehicles] leave,the ATVs get the blame for the BS that the loggers tore up.Most States allow the use of ATVs for 'retrieval purposes' of deer,bear,or elk,during hunting season.

If these guys did not construct their OWN trail,I would leave this incident alone since they were probably using the ATV to pick up their deer.And just like in Michigan,I think it is also legal in Wisconson to use the ATV to retrieve a legally tagged Deer.

Old 11-21-2005 | 08:40 PM
|
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Default Ethical dilemma

I strongly suspect you are wrong about any state allowing off trail use of ATV's for any reason. Your belief is probaby a myth--not an "urban myth", but a "forest myth."

I know it's not allowed in our country forests. I checked the WI DNR website for deer retrieval using ATV's and could only find the following:
"One of the most common violations is ATV riding on closed
county forests and closed forest roads. Ride only on
designated trails and areas open to ATVing."

No one will argue that ATV's cause less damage to trails than logging equipment. However, the trail in question hadn't been used for logging in at least 20 years. When I grouse hunted on it a month ago, it had grown over to the point where it was just a footpath. What these guys did was a crime! I'm leaning toward calling the DNR tipline and turning them in.

Old 11-22-2005 | 12:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Default Ethical dilemma

If you truly believe the DNR will follow through on the situation, then I would probably turn them in in good faith. However, I suspect that this MIGHT get put to the back burner until after season and you will mostly just bring negative attention to the area. If you do turn them in, best to do it sooner than later for any charges to stick.

Old 11-22-2005 | 07:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ethical dilemma

Deeplaker,
Myth?Sorry sir,but I did not state that its OK to use your ATV for off trail use anywhere.My post CLEARLY stated for the RETREIVAL of legally tagged deer bear or elk.Im the Director for a Michigan based ATV safety organization,I dont tell myths in regards to my sport.Here's the law as it reads in Michigan,it may be differant in your State,

STATEWIDE ORV use on designated trails is limited to vehicles 50 inches or less in width. Off trail or off route operation outside of a designated area is prohibited EXCEPT for licensed hunters to remove deer,bear or elk at speeds of under 5 mph or less.

I rest my case!

Old 11-22-2005 | 12:48 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Ethical dilemma

Muddy: You made the case that MI allows ATV's to go off trail for big game retrieval. But, you had said: "Most States allow the use of ATVs for 'retrieval purposes' of deer,bear,or elk,during hunting season."

I still doubt that most states allow going off trail for that that. I can say for sure that WI does not. If people reading your post get the idea that it's common practice in "most states," they will likely end up becoming vulnerable to big trouble.

Two years ago during deer season, a game warden ticketed a guy for riding on the trail that I am trying to get opened. He went to court, but was fined $175. He was lucky that his machine wasn't confiscated.

We need to keep in mind that what's legal in one state may not be legal in "most states."

Old 11-22-2005 | 12:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ethical dilemma

DEEP,
A smart ATVer NEVER assumes anything in regards to ATV laws.''Most States'' does NOT indicate EVERY State.The operator of the ORV is responsable to see that he/she is following local ordinances,not me..With that said,I would suggest that if you dont know the laws of your local riding area,that you check them before venturing out.

Old 11-22-2005 | 01:14 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Ethical dilemma

Agreed! So, do you think I should turn these guys in?

Quick Reply: Ethical dilemma