Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

NY Kills ATV Trail Fund

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NY Kills ATV Trail Fund

I, for one, am not surprised at what the politicians did. Remember who butters their bread. The elite in NY run this state, plain and simple. All NY atvers need to NOT register their quads this year. Hopefully someone with some money will get a ticket for no plates and will be able to take New York State to court and challange their right to require that off road vehicles be registered. I am sick of NYS ripping me off. As soon as I can retire I'm getting the heck out of the state and taking my tax dollars with me!

Old 07-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

i agree completly withajd187 he has a very valid point, every new yorker if at all feesable take your regeistration fees to pa, at least you will be supporting atrail system,not like the professional theives here in albany,screw the working men and woman and don,t do a damn thing positive for the atv owners, in my opinion [those politicians arn,t worth the powder it takes to blow them all to hell where they belong] me and my wife WILL NOT spend one nickel of our retirement money in this p.o.s. state of new york.

Old 07-29-2006, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer

I'm in the process of moving out of NY over to Pa. I've had enough of the Vampire State!

Old 07-30-2006, 10:12 AM
Weekend Warrior

good luck with the move to pa. hope you enjoy the benifets of true atv country,and put behind this capitialist state of theivery[new york], god bless you and your family, p.s.[i,m jelous].

Old 08-01-2006, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

i cant wait to get my a$$ out of ny

Old 10-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: georged
I'm not taking sides, but have to ask the obvious questions:

No state I'm aware of uses vehicle registration fees to benefit vehicles, it all goes into the general fund. Even though NY initially stated public trails would be developed from ATV registration, was legislation attached to the tax measure guaranteeing X funds would be devoted to public ATV facilities? Or was it another political 'promise' all of us in every state have heard, in one form or another, as the feds reduce revenue sharing with states and force tax increases down to state and muni levels to avoid a politically undesirable tax increase at the federal level?
NYS sets the precedent by taking half of all snowmobile reg $$$ and devotes it to trails. So that's why we expect the same for ATV's

Old 10-27-2006, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Markymannn

No state I'm aware of uses vehicle registration fees to benefit vehicles, it all goes into the general fund. Even though NY initially stated public trails would be developed from ATV registration, was legislation attached to the tax measure guaranteeing X funds would be devoted to public ATV facilities? Or was it another political 'promise' all of us in every state have heard, in one form or another, as the feds reduce revenue sharing with states and force tax increases down to state and muni levels to avoid a politically undesirable tax increase at the federal level?
NYS sets the precedent by taking half of all snowmobile reg $$$ and devotes it to trails. So that's why we expect the same for ATV's
What are the numbers? Snowmobiles to ATVs?

Old 10-30-2006, 09:48 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: Markymannn

What are the numbers? Snowmobiles to ATVs?
I don't know, but there are a lot of both. Probably more sleds, yet I heard NYS was like fifth in the number of ATV's in a state. Here around Buffalo, NY, the sled trail network is incredible, especially south of the city. Only problem is, despite Buffalo's reputation, enough snow on the ground can be a problem. Last year was an absolute wash-out. I knew guys that never got their sleds out last year

Old 10-30-2006, 10:54 AM
Pro Rider

I'm not familiar with comparative maintenance costs for snowmobile and ATV trails, but given the inherent destructive trait of aggressively treaded tires on soil I wonder if that couldn't be a factor? Other than an extremely poor public image of ATV activity, which could be the major block, could cost differences between snowmobile and ATV trails also be a determining factor?

Old 10-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Pro Rider

The environmental lobby killed the trail fund in NY. They are also fighting individual counties that want to open trail systems.

The solution is to register your machine out of state or not register it at all. I won't let NY state steal my registration fees anymore.

Quick Reply: NY Kills ATV Trail Fund