Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

ORV Trails in Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2000, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the opportunity to be in touch with some very important people in our legislature in the State of Michigan, resently. The Department of Natural Resorces (DNR) takes care of all the public trails in our state. They do a very good job of grooming and maintaining them. Most of the public trails in Lower Michigan, are designated "Snowmobile Trails", of which there are 5900 miles. There are some 3100 miles of trails for ORV use and some of these double as snowmobile trails. 1680 miles of the ORV trails are also used by ATV's. Michigan, rates number one or two in amount of trail miles for this use. And if investigated further, our trails get used by all the recreational vehicles more than any other state. Michigan, still has more registared snowmobiles than any other state. ORV's make up about 36 percent of the fund the state gets for permits and licenses for snowmobiles and ORV's. The sport of ATVing in this state is the fastest growing sport over the last two years.
I'm an ATVer, I want to keep all our riding areas open and I'd like to see more areas open to all ORV's. But to get some other areas open to our sport is a long up hill battle. The reasons are not that complicated but old attitudes are. Snowmobilers get a lot of sypathy because of their numbers and lobbying strenght. We've all heard the ugly stories about how our quads do too much damage to the enviornment and how noisy our machines are.
Start to take charge, let others know we want to keep all our trails open. Clean up behide yourselves, don't leave trash on the grounds, keep your quads on the trail, avoid making short cuts. And if you have to leave a marker, use something biodegradable. Who ever the sick person is that goes around screwing with the signs, the DNR puts up for all to use as directions, stop doing that and check yourself.
Last, we have a trails coordinator named, Hector Chiunti, in Lansing, Michigan. If you have suggestions, he's the man. Lets get some more trails opened for us ATV and ORV riders. We deserve it just as much as other recreational vehicles.
Contact me here if you need more info.
Thanks,
Chuck, Suzuki KQ 300, GPS & lunch...

Old 12-06-2000, 06:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chuck,
what a great post.You brought up some great veiws.Your also correct,you said the snowmobilers voices are heard load and clear and in huge numbers when legislative factors are involved.If ATVers are to get anywhere,we need to gel together like the snow machine guys do.Voices in the thousands are heard.Just a few riders wont be heard.Folks in Mi can help out our cause by joining associations like the MATVA [Michigan all terain vehicle association]The CCC [cycle conservation club] is also another good one.I happen to be a member of both clubs.

Chuck,
You made mention that the DNR takes care of our riding trail systems in Mich,that is incorrect.The DNR has very little to do with trail maintenance.The truth be know?It is actually the CCC of Mich that takes care of the grooming and maintaining of these trails,not the DNR.Contact Bill Chapin of the CCC and check it out.He is the Executive director and can be reached by calling 1517-569-9999.

His organization is responsible for maintaining,grading,and signing 2800 plus miles of the 3300 mile system.Construction of bridges,decking,erosion control devices,along with new trails are all part of their extensive trails program.Not knocking the DNR,but do very little to support trail maintenance ect,they are excellant at handing out tickets though,
Bill

Old 12-06-2000, 09:56 AM
Pro Rider

You hit the nail on the head Bill. The DNR does hand out a lot of tickets.
Thanks for the info on, "Who Takes Care of our Trails." I, for one will be looking into joining one of the orginizations you mentioned. CCC or MATVA but I'd like to get more info before I decide. Do these groups have brochures and are they listed with the state? How do I get in touch with the MATVA?

Old 12-06-2000, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider

I'm interested in joining one of these clubs. I'd like to volunteer some of my time to help with maintaining the trails. I think it would be awesome if we could get some trails opened further south in Michigan where they'd be more accessable. It doesn't seem right that the snowmobile trails are so much more extensive than the atv trails. You know how short the snowmobile season is in the lower penninsula; but you can ride atvs pretty much year-round.

Old 12-06-2000, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

Ecorman and TrailMix,
Thanks for your interests in these associations,they do benifit ATVers.

The CCC club of Mi consist of about 95% cycles and maybe 5% ATVs.One might ask why am I a member?The answer to that is quit simple.I stand behind what they stand for.They stand for off roaders rights,all of us,not just cycles.The cost for a yr to join the CCC is only 25$ yearly and you will receive a monthly booklet as well,they also give you a book of every legal riding area in the state of Mi.

MATVA can be reached by calling Richard A Rondeau,
at- 1313-562-6130 MATVA Office
1313-565-3818 0ffice [you will get a recording about his wifes learning center] leave a message anyways,he'll get back with you.
Yearly membership is 50$ for MATVA
His e-mail address is matv@miatvassoc.com

If you guys are only going to join one of these groups,join MATVA.I have talked for hrs with Richard and he is also on the board of directors regarding use and regulations of ATVs in Mi.He is a rider and owner of 2 ATVs and also a certified ASI ATV safety instructor.He is 100% on the side of the ATVers and seeks to further enhance our riding opertunities,check him out,
Bill

Old 12-06-2000, 12:53 PM
Pro Rider

Great addition to this subject Bill.
Thanks,

Old 12-11-2000, 10:49 AM
Mac
Range Rover

Bill, I find what you say is kinda strange to me. The Forest Island ATV trail was upgaded by a DNR maint rep and summer youths. I don't recall seeing any CCC or MATVA folks doing any help. Maybe it's just down there where you folks are. There will be more work done up Here I'am being told by the DNR pending allotment of funds for which priorty gets which trail done. I do know the Norway trail is in great need of repair would be great area to ride. I would like to see more folks from the U P get involve with trail improvements and the policy making.

Mac The Red Rhino

Old 12-11-2000, 09:08 PM
Pro Rider

Mac,
I cant speak on behalf of the UP,however,im very certain that the CCC does allmost all the trail maintenance down here.If you'd like,I could look into who cares for the trails in the UP,
Bill

Old 12-11-2000, 09:33 PM
Mac
Range Rover

Sure Bill I would like to know anyone besides The two DNR folks that I have contacted here at the Escanaba Office and the Baraga DNR office. Russ McDonald and Wayne Wheeler.
Thanks for any info

Mac The Red Rhino