Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Rec'd Anonymous Letter about ATVs ridden illegally in my neighborhood

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rec'd Anonymous Letter about ATVs ridden illegally in my neighborhood

Kinda ticked me off to come home tonight to find out that someone left an anonymous letter in our mailbox (with no return address or recipient's name and no postage) that warned all residents in my little neighborhood that the illegal use of non-street legal vehicles (such as ATVs) is a crime. My best guess is this letter was hand delivered by the unknown author to many residents in our little neighborhood to warn the ATVers, dirt bikers, etc. about the fines for riding on the public roads. The letter spelled out in detail the amount of fines for this violation, which supposedly ranges from $100 to $250 per occurence and it also gave the sheriff's phone number in case anyone wishes to report violators or verify the amount of the fines. The letter went on to remind all pet owners who let their pets run loose without a leash that it is a crime (this I have to agree with!).

Now here's the IRONY!!! I did a little checking on the net tonight and I was able to confirm that it is AGAINST FEDERAL LAW to leave mailings in a mailbox without postage! 18 USC 1725 bans anyone from placing unpaid postage mailings inside a mailbox and the fine for such violation is up to $5,000 for individual violators and $10,000 for business entity violators! LOL

To make sure this doesn't happen again, I sent an email to someone in my neighborhood who occassionally sends out email updates to all of the local residences about community stuff and asked that the pass along my message that this anonymous letter (while perhaps well intentioned) was probably a VIOLATION of federal law carrying the stiff penalties mentioned above. I also noted in my message that I would like the author to stop leaving unsolicited letters at my residence unless they have the guts to actually sign the letter!

Happy trails...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-29-2006, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yep.....thats correct![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 11-30-2006, 11:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was probably dropped off by the old coot down the road with 2 small dogs he lets out to crap in someone elses yard.....probably rode back in the day as well.