Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Fencepost = danger.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fencepost = danger.

I don't want to sound harsh or insensative , but where was the trail ? on private property? area that has had problems with atvs? or public riding area? or public area that the trail crossed onto private ground.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: kansasbuggy

I don't want to sound harsh or insensative , but where was the trail ? on private property? area that has had problems with atvs? or public riding area? or public area that the trail crossed onto private ground.</end quote></div>

The environ"mental" folks sometimes string things across perfectly legal trails. These types oppose motorized vehicles regardless of where they are riding.

Don't take anything for granted. Just because the trail was safe yesterday doesn't mean it's safe today. Check first, then open 'er up.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

This is not directed at XavierOnasis, but just an example "to raise awareness" while out enjoying the sport we all love so much.

Last weekend, I took my younger sibling out for a target practice lesson. We were just plunking at a target when I heard a quad coming. We quickly set the gun down and a man rode across about 15 feet behind our target.

Lucky for him, It was only a pellet gun.... Had it been a more dangerous gun, he may have heard it.....I don't know[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Our property is posted no trespassing now just for these reasons...I don't mind 4 wheelers crossing the property, but you gotta cover your *** cause people don't always think about the dangers of riding on someone else's land

Take care and ride safe.....wish you the best XavierOnasis

Old 06-01-2007, 03:36 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: squeegeOur property is posted no trespassing now just for these reasons</end quote></div>

Hate to break it to ya but that won't discourage most of them. The sad thing is (and to detriment of our sport) is that a large percentage of riders will not only blast right by that no trespassing sign but with rip it down. You see, what is yours is theirs. The only thing that matters is that you provide them a place to ride their ATV. And heaven help you if one of them gets hurt while they're trespassing, burglarizing, stealing and vandalizing on your land. They'll start placing calls to Larry H. Lawyer before the blood is dry and the ambulance has stopped rolling.

And that's why you have to write those large checks every 6 months for multimillion dollar liability coverage.

Old 06-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CaptainQuint

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: squeegeOur property is posted no trespassing now just for these reasons</end quote></div>

Hate to break it to ya but that won't discourage most of them. The sad thing is (and to detriment of our sport) is that a large percentage of riders will not only blast right by that no trespassing sign but with rip it down. You see, what is yours is theirs. The only thing that matters is that you provide them a place to ride their ATV. And heaven help you if one of them gets hurt while they're trespassing, burglarizing, stealing and vandalizing on your land. They'll start placing calls to Larry H. Lawyer before the blood is dry and the ambulance has stopped rolling.

And that's why you have to write those large checks every 6 months for multimillion dollar liability coverage.</end quote></div>

Yep. I've been criticized many times on this forum for going to great lengths to keep ATV, dirt bike and other trespassers off my property and impose serious fines for their destruction of public property or close it off for that very reason. And I still read posts by riders encouraging trespassing because public money hasn't provided a place for them to destroy.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: georgedYep. I've been criticized many times on this forum for going to great lengths to keep ATV, dirt bike and other trespassers off my property and impose serious fines for their destruction of public property or close it off for that very reason. And I still read posts by riders encouraging trespassing because public money hasn't provided a place for them to destroy.</end quote></div>

It's that entitlement mentality that gets more restrictive legislation passed, gets more landowners and members of the general public to side against the sport. It just takes a small group of irresponsible riders to cause irreparable damage to the sport and eventually industry.

Many times you have parents buying ATVs for spoiled children and the kids have nowhere to ride and no supervision and they are just turned loose with them. other times you have adults who might as well be adolescents as they lack any sort of adult judgment or restraints on their behavior.

The best a landowner can do is to post and protect his property with every resource the law allows, including the filing of trespassing charges and getting those trespassing served with whatever restraining orders or injunctions are applicable in your state which provide even more legal repercussions if they're caught again. Once fines are imposed and legal papers get served the message gets across. It's worth it to hire an attorney to do it for you or if you're ambitious you can do it yourself.

We've got to clean up our sport and our image or we're not going to have anywhere left to ride and we'll only have ourselves to blame.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:48 PM
Pro Rider

I agree that the trespassing is a huge issue and should not happen. This is wrong and does give ammo to those who want to close down everything. Providing "real" trails will help alleviate this but will most likely never get rid of it entirely just due to the difference in human nature. What I mean by "real" trails are not the gravel roads that seem to be put in as ATV trails but trails that are only wide enough for 1 quad in spots, more so than not, has mud/rocks/trees and other complications in the way and allow for the use of the 4wd atv's qualities. I don't get my ATV out much anymore except in the winter to pull an ice house around simply due to the lack of trail systems with some diversity other than dirt/gravel/sand roadways.

I got out of my local ATV club a couple years ago due to personal issues but am going to be getting back in with them as I see our sport degrading to the point of not having anywhere to ride and if we do have somewhere to ride it will be in and offroad park only or on gravel roads so called "trails".

Old 06-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Range Rover

XavierOnasis - so how are things going?? hope that she is healing well and quickly - have a good group of people behind ya and pulling for a complete recovery. sounds like her guardian angel was riding with you two that day and glad they where. let us know how things are going and tell the little lady that we are all pulling for her!! some seriously scary ____!!!!!!

Splat

Old 06-14-2007, 12:58 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks, Splat, and all.

The first week was marked with recvery faster than could be hoped. She was up and around pretty quickly, taking care of her self and only troubled with pain from the sternum fracture. Then, things kinda stood still for a while and now in the last couple of days suddenly she's making big progress again. She can now wear a bra all day and drive herself about wearing a seatbelt without undue pain and she plans on returning to work next week.

Old 06-14-2007, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: georged

Yep. I've been criticized many times on this forum for going to great lengths to keep ATV, dirt bike and other trespassers off my property and impose serious fines for their destruction of public property or close it off for that very reason. And I still read posts by riders encouraging trespassing because public money hasn't provided a place for them to destroy.</end quote></div>

If the offroad community had quit relying on "public money" to solve their problems instead of proactively using their own in a true pay-to-play manner...we wouldn't today be experiencing these massive land closures or this underfunded lack of effective enforcement that you speak of.(which could have have funded itself through simply stiff fines and impoundments).

As for being criticized many times for having the guts to simply come out and say that you've had enough and are willing to do something about it...welcome to the club and don't ever hold back.

Quick Reply: Fencepost = danger.