Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Over or under chest protector

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2008, 02:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Over or under chest protector

I ride enduro trails pretty fast, and where we ride has alot of roots ( ALOT ). Which makes it extrmemly dangerous for higher speeds. Im looking at getting a chest protector, and was wondering what is going to better...a chest protector over the jersey or under the jersey?

Under
OVER

Old 04-23-2008, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

What ever is more comfortable for you. I have ridden both ways, I guess under the jersey may keep leaves and branches from catching on the chest protector, but I do not think there is a great deal of advantage either way. I went back to wearing it out because it is easier for me to get it on and off that way. Getting a sweaty jersey on and off over a chest protector can sometimes be a chore, and I like to keep things simple.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I agree I like mine on the outside.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

You might also look at some of the body armor available which is designed ot be worn under the Jersey. It isn't hard plastic and can offer SOME protection. Not sure what it does in a total get off.. I have had my back saved wiht my plastic more times than I can remmeber. I have a special modified set that has a tail bone protector that you find on the street riders gear hanging off the back to protect my tail bone. IT looks weird, but it works. Of course any 6'4" 300 lb man with a full beard on a quad is going to get weird looks anyway. I don't get many arguments though...

I think many lose sight of the fact that body armor does more than protect you from rocks. If you ever do a major crash, especially one where you land on your chest or back, it spreads the hit over a larger area and thus lowers the shock to the body. This reduces injuries. At that point, you are not going to worry about what it looks like. You just want to get up in the morning and not have to ask your wife to tie your shoes...

Old 04-25-2008, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

I've had both. I didn't really like the under-the-jersey biofoam ones, because they got really hot in the summer heat. I currently ride with a Thor Force Chest Protector that fits over the jersey. I'm happy.

I can vouch for Dragginbutt's comments on a chest protector distributing shock throughout your upper body instead of just one small area. I've had my old Polaris Scrambler on top of me before when I endoed down a hill. A lot of weight on top of me, but I didn't feel stabbed or anything. The protector did it's job. I won't ride without one.

Old 04-26-2008, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

generally under jersey ones are just foam designed to protect against roost ..... the heavy plastic ones people generally wear on the outside are designed for impact resistance as well as roost and are a lot stronger...

any of the hard plastic ones are stronger, but any kind you want to wear is better than nothing..... I wear a Fox Air Frame, but I like Thor too....