Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

trail management

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default trail management"></title><script src=

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sled05

ARCTIC HUNTER

I have land in the Southern Tier, in a little town called Richford. There is 170 acres behind me owned by Gutchess Lumber Co. that they lease to hunters. There is also another 1000 acres of private land that joins me and Gutchess. Well I pretty much maintain these logging trails with a chain saw and a machete and alot of trail riding. I find if you don't ride the trails often the brush and thorn berries grow into the trail. What town are you in.</end quote></div>

For maintaining trails on my 160 acres I mostly just have to keep them mowed. My Dad has a small John Deere and a brush mower that works great. I have to trim branches now and then and I need to remove the occasional fallen tree as well. To build any additional trails requires a chainsaw and sometimes dirt to fill any low spots that get too wet or just too rough. Some trails are made simply by riding the ATV's over the same place time and again. I have found that a two-up is won't maneuver around trees a regular wheeler, and an RZR is even worst!!!

Old 09-15-2008, 08:00 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default trail management

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dragginbutt

Hope you like it DeeDog. There is a lot of stuff there that everyone can use. Out here on the Right Coast, when you ride trails, you find they just nip the tree at the ground level and you have to get real creative trying to miss all the tire popping stems they leave behind. By the way, alhtough I am retired AF, I leve just south of Quantico, so I am quite familiar with the Devil Dogs.</end quote></div>

Did you ever make it to GFAFB? I grew up (and have property) about 70 miles East of there....

Old 09-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trail management

NO, I tried many times to get an assignment up there, but my specialty was not needed there. I spent time at Chanute AFB, Lackland, Lowry in Denver, Brunssum the Netherlands, and finally with the OSI in Washington, DC. I am somewhat familiar with the area though.

Did they eventually close Grand Forks? It has been so long, I haven't kept up with current AF events for a while. I retired in 96 after getting fed up with the Clinton administration and have not looked back. Now I am a security consutant to the State Dept. in the DC area.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:31 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default trail management

GFAFB is still open. When the base closings where happening GF was about the ONLY base that had protesters AGAINST closing!!!! Growing up in the 60's (yeah, I'm old) we would get the occasional sonic boom from planes flying over!!!

I know people in your field in DC....

Old 11-07-2008, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default trail management

We used to call it the sound of freedom. Anyone who has had the pleasure of seeing a Buff take off can relate. I used to work on them when I first joined the AF. I was a missile system analyst and maintianed the Nukes. SRAM, AGM-69A. I was out at teh Air and space museum a while back and they had one on display. talk about deja vu. The guy giving tours had it all wrong....

Old 12-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Pro Rider
Default trail management

Here are acouple more sites that have products you may be interested in... Checkout www.paumco.com for trail grading equipment that is designed to work with existing snow plows on your ATV, and www.remorques-jms.qc.ca They are a Canadien company, but have some really nead trail equipment, plus check out their logging equipment if you have some serious needs and want something that can be pulled by an ATV.