Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

ATVer Hits Truck, Dies

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider
Urges all riders to join ATV clubs and become part of a united front to maintain and expand trail systems.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATVer Hits Truck, Dies

ATV crash kills driver

Published: Thursday, August 21, 2008 9:52 AM CDT
Spooner WI Advocate

Robert Clifford Humphrey, 19, of Mahtomedi, Minn., died Saturday when the ATV he was riding crashed into a truck traveling in the opposite direction on Balsam Lake Fire Lane in Webb Lake Township.

Both types of vehicles are allowed on the lane, and the two met at a blind curve, according to the Burnett County Sheriff's Department.

No evidence of drugs or alcohol was found, the sheriff's department said. An air ambulance was summoned, but Humphrey died prior to the ambulance lifting off.

The young man had ridden ATVs for years, and he wore sufficient riding gear, the sheriff's department noted.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Had this been a motorcycle, would it even be newsworthy???

Old 08-30-2008, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

Okay, I gotta say something here....according to your profile you are a former atv hater, but then you post something like this as if there should never be any deaths caused by atv's? Every sport has it's risks and IMO, there are few injuries caused by atv's in relation to how many people ride.
I agree with reconranger, this wouldn't be newsworthy if it wasn't an atv. And, to "take pictures and create a file" of atv'ers creating ruts in the road to use against them? C'mon! The ruts in my area are so deep from 4wd trucks that it makes it challenging for even the more experienced riders to access the mountain and enjoy their sport, but you don't hear about that! The last time I checked, trucks weighed a hell of a lot more than an atv, even a polaris!
But now, since YOU like them, they are okay! What a dipsh#@t! I hate people like you....go hug your trees you dumba@*!
Hey, maybe they should outlaw all motorized vehicles because they're DANGEROUS and people die from them, then we can all ride mountain bikes instead! I'm sure no one will die from a mountain bike accident!

Old 08-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

Had this been a motorcycle, would it even be newsworthy???</end quote></div>

People die in all sorts of recreational/transportation activities on a daily basis. Sometimes they are stupid causing their death, other times someone else is stupid, and sometimes sh%# happens. Some places it is news, other places it isn't. If we outlawed everything dangerous, or everything that MIGHT be harmful to the enviroment, it would be illegal to leave your home. I am an Active duty Marine and right now Motorcycle deaths, both on road and off, are the focus of attention. The Marine Corps has done everything short of outlawing Marines from riding motorcycles, and while we do discuss ATV safety it doesn't get near the attention that Motorcycles do.
Not sure how this is "Land Trail and Enviroment" related though, unless it is the fact that both an ATV and a truck were legal on the trail? IMO I would not be comfortable riding on the same trail as trucks, unless the traffic was one way. Some people would say "oh we have to stop ATVs or Trucks from using the trail, it's too dangerous". I say make some simple rules that keep people safe IF THEY FOLLOW THEM.

Old 08-30-2008, 08:26 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: reconranger

Had this been a motorcycle, would it even be newsworthy???</end quote></div>

No, but everyone know motorcycles are dangerous. Thats why no one puts their young child on a CR500.

Easy on the name calling firehog!

Old 08-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

Did I miss something here or what? I dont see in his post where he is bashing atv's or riding or ruts or anything. I read his profile and see where he hated ruts and what not, but I dont see anything wrong with his post.

It's sad to see a person died while enjoying the sport we all love, but it can happen anytime, anywhere! Thats the chance we take when we turn the key on anything be it a quad, snowmobile, bike, hell even taking a walk. This should be a lesson for all of us to be aware and do the things we can to ensure a safe ride, but you can never guarantee that nothing will happen

Old 08-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Pro Rider

On every "Route" shared with traffic that I have seen the atv goes with the flow of the traffic.

"Easy on the name calling firehog!" Being a bit ruff.

I think this was meant to be an FYI. Also hit kind of close to Laker since he is from the area and likely has ridden the route before.

Old 08-30-2008, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

Although I agree that deeplakers profile is alittle different I DON'T see anything wrong with his post. I really don't understand the name calling and bashing! I've left other forums because of crap like this! You don't have to agree with anyone here but you damn sure don't have to cuss them and call them names either!

Old 08-30-2008, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

Hey if more greenies rode ATV's we would be in a better position. Tell your friends its fun too!
Talk about it at the whole foods market in the vegetable section.

Seriously, I agree..post is fine, bio is a little different. But at the same time it shows a ATV hater can become a ATV Rider...

Old 08-30-2008, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: firehog

Okay, I gotta say something here....according to your profile you are a former atv hater, but then you post something like this as if there should never be any deaths caused by atv's? Every sport has it's risks and IMO, there are few injuries caused by atv's in relation to how many people ride.

I agree with reconranger, this wouldn't be newsworthy if it wasn't an atv. And, to "take pictures and create a file" of atv'ers creating ruts in the road to use against them? C'mon! The ruts in my area are so deep from 4wd trucks that it makes it challenging for even the more experienced riders to access the mountain and enjoy their sport, but you don't hear about that! The last time I checked, trucks weighed a hell of a lot more than an atv, even a polaris!

But now, since YOU like them, they are okay! What a dipsh#@t! I hate people like you....go hug your trees you dumba@*!

Hey, maybe they should outlaw all motorized vehicles because they're DANGEROUS and people die from them, then we can all ride mountain bikes instead! I'm sure no one will die from a mountain bike accident!</end quote></div>

Hey Firehog, your an idiot.

Quick Reply: ATVer Hits Truck, Dies