Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Congress Closing Motorcycle/ATV Access

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- By a 285-to-140 vote, U.S. House members on March 25 approved a bill that closes more than 2 million acres of public land nationwide to off-highway motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles and all other motorized vehicles.

Following congressional maneuvering that breathed new life into the measure after it was defeated just a couple weeks earlier, the lawmakers approved H.R. 146, known as the Revolutionary War and War of 1812 Battlefield Acquisition Grant Program. This bill was formerly known as S. 22, the Omnibus Public Land Management Act of 2009. etc, etc, etc................

Here's the link to the original story. From the AMA.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/story.asp?id=760

Old 04-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971

Originally Posted by FunRide
I found your post was copied directly from a Harley Davidson forum. Does the writer of this information have any idea what they're talking about.....I've searched the Web and have found ZERO news to justify this information. The only place it's spoken of is on forums like this. If this was a fact, it would be all over the Internet in various forms and voiced loudly. Who in their right mind would ban motorcycles from our national park system. They are a huge source of revenue for the surrounding communities and the park itself, through admission fees. If somebody finds any solid news source on this matter please speak up and attach a link. Thanks.

I might could be an admin there also. And I posted it here because it happens to directly relate to this forums format. "Land, Trail and Environmental Issues".

If you clicked the first link you would of saw the first thing said was "The following is from the AMA...". Then you could of went to the AMA and read where they got their facts from.

Do you have a clue how many laws are made with out anyones knowledge?

Old 04-08-2009, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
"I've canoed the Allagash River in Maine (Wilderness area) and can say I enjoyed the brook trout I caught for breakfast. I love wilderness areas. I've hunted Wildlife Management Areas also (bought with fees from hunting/fishing licenses.
Good deal. The Allagash is an awesome place.

Wildlife Management Areas are operated by US Fish and Wildlife (Dept. of Interior) as opposed to the US Forest Service (Dept. of Agriculture). Totally separate with little to no management techniques in common.

Another thing that's funny is that often wildlife thrives in open areas more than wooded.Forest left on its own does not always benefit all types of wildlife.
Correct. However, "Wilderness" designation has nothing to do with actual forest. Often times Wilderness areas in the west are at high altitudes where logging and motorized (auto) travel would be prohibitive. Skidding 1000s of logs for 10s of miles on steep terrain is dangerous, expensive and causes great damage to the feeder streams. The runoff into rivers is a big problem at those elevations. So yes, I agree, but Wilderness is not only designated to heavily forested areas. Natural fire also creates fields and openings in wilderness areas.

There is an agenda at work with the present body of lawmakers that will continue in this direction.
No. The legislature doesn't work this way. They don't come up with Wilderness and Forest Management Plans. "Wilderness" is designated within a particular forest's 10 year plan. Forest supervisors and their teams of forest rangers, biologists, ecologist, etc decide what should be Wilderness and what shouldn't. The Legislature only votes on what they propose. The forest supervisors and the people in the field doing the actual work don't change with the political winds. They're just doing their job like the rest of us.

Bush = Travel Management. This was his making. We'll have to see where it goes. They've only been in office for 70 something days and their plate is pretty full with other more important things right now.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by xFreebirdx
I might could be an admin there also. And I posted it here because it happens to directly relate to this forums format. "Land, Trail and Environmental Issues".
I realize you're an Admin. Good Forum. I think it's the right place here in Land, Trail and Environmental Issues. My point was that it was a direct quote from another site and there was no background information. Just making a point.

Do you have a clue how many laws are made with out anyones knowledge?
Of course. That's why we vote for people that represent us. The information is out there. If anybody wants to know what the congress is doing, the Congressional Record is available for all to see. Who's got the time for that though. Most congress people don't have time to read through it all.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:42 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!

My point was that it was a direct quote from another site and there was no background information. Just making a point.
My point is there is enough informative information in that post that people who cared could further investigate it and educate themselves on the subject.

The point your missing while your defending your precious almighty is that these land closings are real and effect everyone. This is also way up on the agenda for this administration.

They already banned kids ATV's. All this and way more is happening while you watch the Messiah walk on water. So please don't baffle these threads with BS.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

It doesn't surprise me at all. In my life I have yet to see a single thing that liberals have done to help anything. To quote the best president in my lifetime "Government is not the answer to the problem, Government IS the problem".

Old 04-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Shapeshifter Rider

How does this help the economy? Guy deserves a chance. Thats all I'll say.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider

My point is there is enough informative information in that post that people who cared could further investigate it and educate themselves on the subject.
Didn't deny that, now did I?

The point your missing while your defending your precious almighty is that these land closings are real and effect everyone. This is also way up on the agenda for this administration.
Whatever you say there ADMIN. It's your site. Who's defending the precious almighty? Somebody questions you in the slightest of ways, and they're defending the "almighty" Obama. I'm talking about the Forest Service and the National Park Service closing roads. NOTHING to do with Obama. Obama doesn't close roads. Forest and Park service employees who don't come and go with administrations close roads.

So please don't baffle these threads with BS.
You dont' like what's said about your precious post and it's BS. There's a discussion for ya.

Don't know what to tell you about the kids ban on ATVs. Haven't looked into the law, or how, why or who is responsible.

I'll be sure not to comment on your posts going forward.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by cody700
It doesn't surprise me at all. In my life I have yet to see a single thing that liberals have done to help anything. To quote the best president in my lifetime "Government is not the answer to the problem, Government IS the problem".
What doesn't "surprise" you Cody? Can you try and make some sense of this statement. We're talking about road closings and any information backing it up.

You obviously don't understand how road closings work, yet you're so confident the "liberals" are responsible. The BUSH administration is responsible. The Bush administration started closing and reviewing road systems on federal lands; not Clinton or the current Congress.

I'll say it again: "Travel Management" started with the Bush Administration, not the "Clinton administration" or the "liberal controlled House, Senate, and Executive Branch". So let me repeat that one more time, Travel Management started with the Bush Administration. Period.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

I'll say it again: "Travel Management" started with the Bush Administration, not the "Clinton administration" or the "liberal controlled House, Senate, and Executive Branch".
The Bush Administration was a liberal controlled administration. As liberal if not more so that the Clinton Administration.

Quick Reply: Congress Closing Motorcycle/ATV Access