Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Travel Management

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2009, 11:26 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default individual

And there is the difference in our basic philosophies I guess. It never occurred to me I might have any rights superior to the guy next door......or that the guy next door has rights superior to mine. To me we both have individual rights that need neither government permission nor help nor authority to excercise. That big brother can step in and say "stay out" reminds me of the George Orwell world.
I suspect you and I place the same values on being alone, finding and traveling to special places, viewing a world not trashed by idiots. I simply do not believe government is part of that world.........My conflict with the ATM proposals is that it is an attempt to keep me from those places that I have travelled to and enjoyed for over 60 years..my custom, my culture, my sacred values are all now suspect and being curtailed by Federal intervention. Not right for me, not right for you. This did not just start with today's politics, it started with the first decision to let government have absolute authority........or perhaps with the first decision made not to protest because the authority did not have a direct personal impact.............Tass

Old 09-16-2009, 12:54 AM
Range Rover
Talking stuff

I have been looking over the posts on this topic and see that all posting here have one thing at least in common.......love of the outdoors and special places. If you think about it that is quite a special thing to share. Just for grins I will share another thing, while setting here and thinking all these high falootin people thoughts Brodie walked up with his "rabbit/bear/stuffed whatever" laid it at my feet and put his head on my leg. Brodie is a solid black standard Poodle. 85lbs, 34" to the top of his head, teeth like an alligator and the gentlest friend you could ever wish for. Brodie has traveled the woods with Shirley and myself for 1 1/2 years now, ever since he was a 17lb 6 week old pup. He hasn't an enemy in the world, loves the woods, loves to run. We travel about 30 miles a weekend on the 4 wheelers......when its cold he will run 25 miles........when its hot he runs 15 or so and rides the rest........He has never been chained, penned, or harmed, His joy in life and things wild brings a clean perspective to the world that man so often tries to control or destroy. Its impossible not to enjoy things when watching him prance and strut through the hills........ Tass

Old 09-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by FunRide
Right. I didn't make the point very clearly, but if Congress wants to override them at any point, they can. Local USFS could spend $500,000 and hundreds of man hours on a WW-like project for Wilderness designation, then get comments from everybody, eventually chose their local option, then Congress could say...Nah, we like this other option you've done no research on; but thanks for all that hard work. Local foresters have basically zero recourse once the decision is handed down.
You're kind of making my point for me. This present Congress wants to close lands to motorized traffic and resource usage. They are writing the bills that could potentially close millions of acres of land. I am concerned, not so much about the USFS, but by Congress and the leanings of the crowd that is in there now. I sincerely hope I am wrong. I want to be able to ride out there some day when I have some time and money. I hope I don't end up having missed my opportunity. Even going out to help repair a bridge last Sunday (Yes, Funride, I missed church. ) and being out with fellow riders and enjoying a nice New England day ministered to me. Where I can't walk for miles anymore, the ATV is the way to go. I hope my sons, and someday my grandkids, will have the opportunities to ride like we do.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:55 AM
Range Rover
Default access

It normally worlks like this......a group of idiots say........lets get this designated wilderness or put off limits in some other creative way. That group (all good green voters you know) approaches a Senator,Representative, or President and says........."This would sure be wonderful" and the Senator, Representative, President, says............Make it so my good little fellow's in the USFS. And it gets shoved down the throats of the general public. Just life, just the way it happens....................Tass