Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

First Time Track Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Track Build

First let me say hello and I am happy to have found these forums.

I recently purchased about 11 acres of land and am about to embark on taking a 3 acre horse pasture and converting it into a fun ATV track for the family.

I have so many questions on the process, where I get the dirt, preparation and even what ATVs to start out with for a 40 year old and his two sons of 14 and 15.

But I will start by asking for some general advice on where to start, good resources, etc. Can I make a good sized track with 3 acres?

Thanks again...

Old 10-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

3 acres is about 120,000 square feet or 600x200, 400x300, or variations like that. You should be able to make some kind of track with that kind of room. I'd go the longer route like the 600x200 and use a cut and fill for materials. Scoop some out and make low pits and jumps, that type of thing.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer
Question

It would seem heavy equipment would be in order - bulldozer and/or front end loader. This is a great thing you're doing for your kids!! Will it be an Mx track or more xc ?

Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 PM
Pro Rider

Not sure where you are from but i would suggest driving to a few already built tracks for ideas. Then rent a dozer ( might want to pay a prof for that ) and just start playing. Then when you think you have something invite your new buddies here on the forum to test it out with you and your boys.. 11 acres to play with... I would give my left..... pinky toe for that.

Old 12-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1: First sketch you idea and get a basic design......
2: Rent bull dozer
3: Push dirt......

You will use the dozer to scrap the surface about 2-4 inches deep, you want to remove all grass and loose top crap and push it into piles......Now these piles are where you will get the main base for jumps and hills and berms......

If the land is flat you will want to angle it for water run off...... work with the land here to channel the water to where you want it to go.....

You will need in addition to the dozer a backhoe with a decent sized bucket, 24" bucket is ideal.......

Use the backhoe to finish making the jumps and sculpting you basic idea for jumps or hills....Table tops are the easiest and safest type of jumps to make. They take more dirt and filler but they are easy to make without knowing "how far" a given rider can jump.....and they are great because you don't have to "jump" them at all you can just ride over them safely.....

As you ride on the track, you will learn where you can improve and make changes. No track I've ever built looks anything like what I started with.....Because the more you ride it the faster you will get, and the tighter everything will feel.....So turns will end up getting "blown out" beyond themselves. Which is fine just make sure you leave enough space between transitions.

Most of all remember trial and error.....it won't be perfect right away it takes time.....Good luck......