Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Ticket for riding on road, what do i do??

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:04 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ticket for riding on road, what do i do??

OK well me and my buddy were trying to got home and go pick up 2 motors when we passed a cop, of course we were on tha road. so we held them wide open, big mistake, my 300ex flooded i guess and cut off and i keep trying to roll it off and get it started and it wouldnt so my nice friend comes back and trys to push me, DOESNT WORK. The cop throws him on tha ground and now we both have a ticket for no inspection no insurance and no motorcycle license, he got one for not having a helmet too. me=$180 him=$300 and another fee to be determined in court. insurance goes up 3X's!!!!! has this happened to anyone if so how did you get it reduced if you can?? and did you lose ur lisence by tha way i live in NC

Old 11-25-2009, 11:31 AM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

First thing I would do is find out what rules and regulations there are in your area regarding atv's. Somtimes a law enforcement officer does'nt know his butt from a hole in the ground when it comes to situations like that. Example: A friend of mine was cited for riding on a county road and was forced to trailer his quad home from the spot he was stopped. Found out here in Indiana as long as you have an up to date registration and visible stickers with the numbers you are in fact aloud to ride on county roads and cross major roads as well as ride along them as long as you are off the asphalt. Some countys in the area have adopted stupid little by-laws regarding off-road vehicles. Neddless to say my friend got all charges dropped since the officer was ignorant to the laws he's supposed to uphold! Get informed on your local laws regarding this matter. Knowledge is power!

Old 11-25-2009, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well lets see......

You were riding on the road = illegal
You were riding with no helmets = illegal
You tried to run from the cops = illegal and a FELONY in most states
You have no license
You have no insurance

I don't think you have a leg to stand on..... You are lucky you were not arrested because you easily could have been for running. All you can do is take your lumps and learn your lesson. There is no way to "get out" of paying for the crime....

Old 11-25-2009, 01:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Originally Posted by ss97
Well lets see......

You were riding on the road = illegal
You were riding with no helmets = illegal
You tried to run from the cops = illegal and a FELONY in most states
You have no license
You have no insurance

I don't think you have a leg to stand on..... You are lucky you were not arrested because you easily could have been for running. All you can do is take your lumps and learn your lesson. There is no way to "get out" of paying for the crime....
+1 This is the exact thing that gives us ATVers a bad name, and will ruin our sport! I think the cops finaly did there job for once! Sorry that this is how it's suppost to work!

Old 11-25-2009, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

+2 If you had stopped immediately you might have got some mercy. I had a situation after busting up part of my quad where I drove on a dirt road to a cop to get directions as I was all turned around. He was going to give my son and I $120 tickets. $240 would have been a costly ride. I begged and pleaded and the guy had mercy and let us go. We were registered and wearing helmets. But, you ran, and that really gets the police, rightly, upset. You are probably lucky your machines weren't confiscated in the process. I would chalk it up to experience, stay off roads, wear helmets, and get registered.

Old 11-25-2009, 04:23 PM
Dune Rider
Which one of you is Pink?
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+3 What if your buddy had been hit by an unsuspecting motorist? Do you think he would survive being hit by a car on a quad? Worse yet a OTR Truck (over the road) . Imagine what the outcome would be had he been hit by a motorcyclist.
Get educated about the laws in your county/state. Man up and pay the fine or hire a lawyer and pay him and probably still pay the fines/court costs.

A- all
T- terrain (NOT paved road)
V- vehicle

OHV-off highway vehicle

Old 11-25-2009, 05:00 PM
Range Rover

ok i have a license not a motorcycle license and I have insurance just my 4wheeler doesnt and i was wearing a helmet my buddy wasnt and as soon a tha cop got behind me my 4wheeler died so i dont think he thinks that i was trying to run.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Of all the things I've lost in life, I think I miss my mind the most!

Man! you guys are harsh. I agree with you all, if he was in fact doing somthing illegal. But so many times the law has the grey area. Sounds like I'm glad to live in IN. where the law leaves you alone as long as your not stupid,wreckless, or destroying other people's property. Like I said before find out if you were in fact in the wrong. And if you were, take your lumps and learn from it. If you knew it was wrong then shame on you.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Like they say it only takes one to ruin it for the rest of us! Sometimes we must learn from our mistakes!

Old 11-26-2009, 09:11 PM
Range Rover

If you want to get out of the tickets, hire an attorney and see what he can do for you. If he can't get you out of it, he may be able to either get the fines reduced or negotiate consolidating tickets into only one offense.

If you are trying to save money, pay the tickets.

Quick Reply: Ticket for riding on road, what do i do??