Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Carnegie Cycle Park Shut Down...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 12:08 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Carnegie Cycle Park Shut Down...

Just heard about this...gotta admit Im in shock...I do about 75% of my riding there.

Cycle News | State Park Gets Shut Down

Got me so pissed off, I might not ever pay to register any of my toys in this miserable state..

Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our riding areas will only get smaller and smaller as time goes on. We outdoor enthusists must ban together as a whole before its too late!

Old 12-17-2009, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

I just called the park. They are operating with normal park hours, business as usual; however, for how long, not sure. Ranger is surely aware of the legal mess but said it was up in the air and pending, not final as yet.

Need to do more research into what the hell is going on. I am sure the prop-moto groups are all over this. I'll post some link later.

I hoping things get worked out. At WORST case, they can make some wood bridges to cross the creek for the 4 weeks when there is water. How insaner can it get?

Old 12-17-2009, 12:57 PM
Pro Rider

One more update then gotta do real work.

Just called the CA State Department of OHV and they are aware of it as they are the ones who got sued. There is nothing posted on website; however, I did talk to Roy Stearns, Directof Communications.

He said the judge has NOT signed the order. The State's Attorney is the AG and is responding to the lawsuit and going to ask for a stay on the order while work continues with the Regional Water Quality Board on finding a workable solution.

He did mention his department is fully on board with doing what it has to do to keep the parks open. No parks, no job, guess that should be good enough personal motivation.

Anyway, stay tuned and get ready to start writing letters and making calls to local representatives.

Old 12-17-2009, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

More info

Carnegie on trail to oblivion? | Recordnet.com

Article describes situation and that OHV department was the only one not affected by state budget cuts as it MAKES money.

Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility: News Releases

http://www.peer.org/docs/ca/09_15_12...t_Carnegie.pdf

Actual court filed document showing that park is not shut down. The State has 150 days to respond to order to close park.

http://apps.alameda.courts.ca.gov/do...tml/index.html

Enter case number RG09474549

This takes you to all the legal filings. This whole thing is just getting started, far from being shut down but the first salvo has been fired for sure.

The way I read all this is nothing is going to happen bad as the State will get the waiver it needs to stay open. They have been working together with Regional Water
Quality folks all along and have done work and have plans to mitigate any water issues.

Still, no time to sit on your lazy asses. Pick up phone and start calling and supporting the cause.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:39 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Thanks for doing all that research windtrader

I just got this link sent to my cell phone. did you send it to me? dont recognize the number..

CarnegieForEver.org

Its a petition to keep Carnegie open..

Old 12-18-2009, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider
Not me. I did send a email to Don Amador and told him word needs to get out and getting active riders to raise a unified opposition effort.

I suggested they see if they can get some signage posted by the entrance stating park is targeted to close and get contacts of those folks. Even better if the park booth could hand out some letter stating the situation and get people informed and involved.

I have to believe this has got to go down in flames; otherwise, watch out because one by one they will find a reason to close them all.

I'm signing anything I get my hands on that supports the cause.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Pro Rider

I am telling you it makes a DIFFERENCE to get involved. Yesterday I called the CA Dept Parks OHV and spoke to the Director of Communications to discuss closure at Carnegie.

I also pointed out for such a major event, the public website which has a current news section has not a peek about it. He said he was having lunch with somebody he would mention it to.

Low and behold - today there is a link with a full FAQ on the situation and status.

Looks like I read the timeline wrong and they did not have 150 days to respond and got a stay today to hold off closure until Dec 29!

This is horrible.

Is there no other riders who use this park and have a say in this here. Just MWQ and I can not do much - need more people. Read the links - get involved. This is very serious.

OHV

Old 12-19-2009, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

The tactics being used out in the West where most trails are on public lands to close trails are endangered species, water quality, and erosion. Who knows what will happen with the EPA calling CO2 a dangerous gas? Maybe we should all stop breathing? I hope you guys can keep it open. It's crazy to me to shut it down for a seasonal stream that runs only 4-6 weeks per year. Club members should unite on this one and build a bridge or two. It's not too hard with a couple of knowledgeable guys and a bunch of helpers. Whatever it takes to keep the trails open.

Old 12-19-2009, 12:56 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Here is a letter I found at the D-36 website:

Carnegie Closes 28th December

Dear District Members,

It is with sadness that I must report, CONFIRMED, that Carnegie SVRA will be closed at the end of business on the 28th of December.

THIS IS A TEMPORARY CLOSURE AS HAS BEEN PREVIOUSLY EXPLAINED.
Every effort will be put forth by the OHV Division, as well as the OHV Community to recitify this situation as quickly as possible. The hangups will be the Government process of Public Meetings, which have time lines that are not the most efficient, as well as the Water Quality Control Board review of submitted documents.
I believe we should have the park open and operating by Spring, as long as no additional hiccups occur. See the OHMVRD website for a release posted tonight.
Carnegie SVRA Lawsuit FAQs

Also, please see BRC Blog - Don Amador and his Lump of Coal commentary.
http://thegeneralsrecreationden.blog...-ohv-park.html

We will try to keep you up to speed as new information breaks, and what YOU can do to make you voices heard, and the right folks to be engaged with. As always, pound on the news media, and put emphasis on the yearlong battle to keep State Parks open and
running, and that you expect our elected officials to fight as hard for OUR State
Park..........the same State Park that is entirely paid for by YOU, the user community.
Remember, our OHV Program uses NO general tax dollars. Drive that point home hard!

Sorry about the bad news, but D36 WILL NOT GIVE UP.

Dave

Please go to State Parks Link Carnegie SVRA Lawsuit FAQs for and information update from OHMVRD Staff. It has a basic FAQ section.
If link direct does not work, go to OHV as back up.

Quick Reply: Carnegie Cycle Park Shut Down...