Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Obama Legacy

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by FunRide
Administration of George W. Bush (2001-2009)

291 Total Executive orders Issued

Funny you people that ride on National Forest land cry about "executive orders" like it something new that you heard on Fox News. Where do you think that land came from that your riding on, or complaining about "your" trails being shut down or changed. You wouldn't be riding on the trails in the first place if it wasn't for government lands. Beyond belief.......

Did you read the Fox News article. Did you read the significance of the land and the fact that Obama "may" select two sites of the multiple offered. Do you know nothing of or have any concern for the word "pristine".

Again....Read some of the options. Did you actually read the article, or just spew your low-information outrage on here? I forgot, you people value very little in the form of preservation. If you can't ride on it, it's a scam perped by the left.

-- Heart of the Great Basin, Nevada: Researchers call it a "globally unique assemblage of cultural, wildlife and historic values" that includes thousands of petroglyphs and stone artifacts dating back 12,000 years.

-- Owyhee Desert, Oregon: Called one of the most remote areas of the United States, the Owyhee is home to the largest herd of California bighorn sheep.

-- Bodie Hills, California: Located in the fast growing eastern Sierra Nevada mountains, Bodie contains the Golden State's best preserved ghost town. But the area is also loaded with gold, and several mining permits are pending.

-- The Modoc Plateau, California: Spanning close to 3 million acres in the northwest corner of California, the Modoc Plateau is "laden with biological and archeological treasures." Interior officials call it the second largest unprotected landscape in the state.
With the exception of some NH state parks and railtrails I don't ride on public lands. I ride on lands where clubs get permission from private land owners to create and maintain trails. So, to say that, "You wouldn't be riding on the trails in the first place if it wasn't for government lands," doesn't really fly for me. I know that huge tracts of land are owned by the government. I don't know and am not going to find what percentage of lands are owned by the government. My problem comes when the government decides to close lands to only certain sectors of the public that, in the long run, pays for these lands and their upkeep. I don't care who is closing them. If they have established trails and are used by the tax paying public, leave things alone.
It is true that Obama or any president can with the stroke of a pen, declare a National Monument and keep motorized users out. I may never get out to the West to ride but I'd like to think the places that are now open to motorized traffic will remain open. I've also read about these areas being bantied about in other publications and read what a congressman from Colorado had to say about it. The legislators in the effected states are against these designations because it lessens tourist dollars, and also closes these areas to economic development from natural resources.
It's not a bad thing to watch what the government is doing and to write our displeasure with options that we disagree with. I've done it from Carter's time in office to now and sometimes they listen to the electorate sometimes they don't. We'll see what comes of this.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:12 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
With the exception of some NH state parks and railtrails I don't ride on public lands. I ride on lands where clubs get permission from private land owners to create and maintain trails. So, to say that, "You wouldn't be riding on the trails in the first place if it wasn't for government lands," doesn't really fly for me. I know that huge tracts of land are owned by the government. I don't know and am not going to find what percentage of lands are owned by the government. My problem comes when the government decides to close lands to only certain sectors of the public that, in the long run, pays for these lands and their upkeep. I don't care who is closing them. If they have established trails and are used by the tax paying public, leave things alone.
It is true that Obama or any president can with the stroke of a pen, declare a National Monument and keep motorized users out. I may never get out to the West to ride but I'd like to think the places that are now open to motorized traffic will remain open. I've also read about these areas being bantied about in other publications and read what a congressman from Colorado had to say about it. The legislators in the effected states are against these designations because it lessens tourist dollars, and also closes these areas to economic development from natural resources.
It's not a bad thing to watch what the government is doing and to write our displeasure with options that we disagree with. I've done it from Carter's time in office to now and sometimes they listen to the electorate sometimes they don't. We'll see what comes of this.
Moose...Although I was responding to your post, I wasn't really speaking to you directly. Really speaking to the guy who posted this and seems to have little to no clue what he talking about historically. Nothing personal.

I'd have to do some research, but highly doubt the proposed lands are current major riding areas. Might be a trail here or there. In addition, just because this land is designated a National Monument, doesn't mean it's necessarily off limits to ATVs. For example, Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument near Bryce Canyon can be ridden on. There are others, but I need to look them up. Zion maybe, but that's a National Park.

You mentioned that you don't think you'd ride these areas......If you could possibly put it together, it would be worth every dime, even if the plan was a five year one. Ship the wheeler out and get a cheap flight....

Old 04-27-2010, 07:56 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Moose...Although I was responding to your post, I wasn't really speaking to you directly. Really speaking to the guy who posted this and seems to have little to no clue what he talking about historically. Nothing personal.

I'd have to do some research, but highly doubt the proposed lands are current major riding areas. Might be a trail here or there. In addition, just because this land is designated a National Monument, doesn't mean it's necessarily off limits to ATVs. For example, Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument near Bryce Canyon can be ridden on. There are others, but I need to look them up. Zion maybe, but that's a National Park.

You mentioned that you don't think you'd ride these areas......If you could possibly put it together, it would be worth every dime, even if the plan was a five year one. Ship the wheeler out and get a cheap flight....
I do want to go out there, but I don't have an unlimited amount of cash right now. Unlike the government, I don't believe in spending money I don't have with the exception of a mortgage. I hope you are correct. I'd hate to see any trails closed. If anything, I think more trails opening up would be a boon for the states in question. I know Maine is making the effort to attract ATVers. They are trying to interconnect the whole state and have thousands of miles already. More trails equals more dollars for the state. A few more headaches, yes, but well worth it financially. It's why many of the places to stay are advertising direct access to trails. I can't wait until August.

Old 05-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Bullshit! No one believes me when I tell them that its coming!

Old 05-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Yep, it's coming. If they ram healthcare down our throats using voting procedures that are usually not used on such a massive spending bill, even after Scott Brown (no conservtive by the way, but better than the alternative) gets elected in the bluest of bluest states, they'll try anything.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

They are trying to interconnect the whole state and have thousands of miles already. More trails equals more dollars for the state. A few more headaches, yes, but well worth it financially. It's why many of the places to stay are advertising direct access to trails. I can't wait until August.
Moose....You coming to Maine in August? Maybe we could get a small contingent from here together for a day ride and meet up with you along your trek. Likely go right past Yarmouth area on your way north. I know there are others on here north of me. Maybe Sten would meet up too? Worth a thought anyway.

Old 05-01-2010, 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by inspector12
Bullshit! No one believes me when I tell them that its coming!
What the hell is coming? Are you talkin' 2012, end of time, planets lining up?

Old 05-02-2010, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Moose....You coming to Maine in August? Maybe we could get a small contingent from here together for a day ride and meet up with you along your trek. Likely go right past Yarmouth area on your way north. I know there are others on here north of me. Maybe Sten would meet up too? Worth a thought anyway.
I'm still trying to see who will be going up with us from our region. We will probably be going out right from the cabins we'll be renting to the trails. Once I hone plans I'll let you guys know where I am and what we're up to. I wouldn't mind meeting a few guys from the forum.

Old 05-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider

I'm still trying to see who will be going up with us from our region. We will probably be going out right from the cabins we'll be renting to the trails. Once I hone plans I'll let you guys know where I am and what we're up to. I wouldn't mind meeting a few guys from the forum.
Definitely would be fun to put something together and meet up for a ride with some folks from here, even if it's only for a few hours one day. Wouldn't want to disturb your group ride too much.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!

Definitely would be fun to put something together and meet up for a ride with some folks from here, even if it's only for a few hours one day. Wouldn't want to disturb your group ride too much.
I like meeting new people. Often here new stories and get to share ours all over again.

Quick Reply: Obama Legacy