Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Why Tread Lightly!...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

A lot of the riding areas I've been to around here have designated areas for mud bogs. Unfortunately, it's people like my nephew who can't respect that and will find a small puddle on a trail and make it into a huge hole. Real nice to be cruising along on your sport quad and out of nowhere there's a huge hole. Also one of the reasons we don't ride together anymore.

I like running through the mud too, but my nephew is a prime example of what not to do on the trails. I think if the people that own the land or park wanted a dug out, rutted up spot, they'd make one. Or at least have the courtesy to ask if it's ok first.

Old 05-25-2011, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Scootergptx
A lot of the riding areas I've been to around here have designated areas for mud bogs. Unfortunately, it's people like my nephew who can't respect that and will find a small puddle on a trail and make it into a huge hole. Real nice to be cruising along on your sport quad and out of nowhere there's a huge hole. Also one of the reasons we don't ride together anymore.

I like running through the mud too, but my nephew is a prime example of what not to do on the trails. I think if the people that own the land or park wanted a dug out, rutted up spot, they'd make one. Or at least have the courtesy to ask if it's ok first.
That's also a big difference. If your trails go through private property you should do everything you can to please the landowner who's making his property available to riders. If he/she expectst the trail to be pristine it's up to riders to keep it that way. If they don't care and say it's okay to have mudholes then go for it.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great discussion guys.

A couple more of my .02...

A couple of you have mentioned wanting to go "wheeling" versus down a railroad grade that is for all practical purposes paved. I can definitely respect that. Many areas and trails are built and managed for certain types of riding, and it just comes down to finding those areas, and being involved in planning and management. On public lands, that involves being aware and commenting on travel management planning. Make your desires known. I know personally of a few areas on public lands that were specifically designed and managed for rock crawling, trials, and even a mudding area in an abandoned pit. All these areas have undergone the environmental studies necessary to designate them open. On private lands, work with the land owner. In either case, it comes down to being respectful of the expectations of the area.

During "mud season", while we do advise waiting until trails dry out, we also recognize that a) that's not always practical, and b) sometimes its just fun to get dirty. But there are a few things you can do to maintain the sustainability of that trail or riding opportunity while enjoying the ride. Go through puddles, versus around. That doesn't mean throttle through and create a bog, but instead traveling through just fast enough to get through without getting stuck. Going around puddles removes vegetation and ends up increasing the size of the puddle or mud-hole, which can lead to other issues. Obey seasonal restrictions as well, as they are there to aid in the ability for all users to be able to use the trail for the rest of the year.

Horses. First thing, thank you for being a great ambassador for the OHV community. Equestrians present a unique challenge to trail sharing, and you're definitely doing the right thing. Also, when stopping for horseback riders, please stop on the downhill side of the trail. Predators approach from the uphill side, and as trained as a horse may be, they still have instincts that could cause them to bolt if they sense movement on the uphill side.

Volunteering. Again, thanks to those of you who take a few minutes or a few days to "do your part" on our trails and riding areas. Whether its picking up a stray piece of trash, or helping to clear brush or fix erosion issues, every little bit helps.

Old 06-01-2011, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer

Tip of the week:

Now that summer has officially begun (by our definition, not the calendar's)... lets talk sharing and courteous use.

1) Be aware that with very few exceptions, almost all motorized areas are open to the vast majority of other uses. This could mean hikers, equestrians, and of course other riders/drivers in the area. Slow down in tighter areas and where visibility is reduced.
2) Motorized users yield to everyone, everyone yields to equestrians. Stop and say hello to other users if given the opportunity.
3) Use caution around equestrians. While many trail horses are getting more accustomed to vehicular travel, they can still be easily spooked. Stop well ahead of them, and turn off your engine unless waived by. On quads and dirt bikes, stop on the downhill side of the trail, as a horse's instinct with uphill movement is to anticipate a predator.
4) In general, yield to uphill traffic. This is not a rule, it's a guideline. Use common sense please, and most of all be patient. We've all been in situations where its in the best interest of all parties to yield to downhill traffic.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
We have what we call "mud season" up here in New England. More accurately, it's trails freeze overnight, and thaw in the daytime, season. Trails stay closed up until right around now. During mud season they are more susceptible to severe damage than at other times of year. It's a good idea to protect them for a time. After this time there are still plenty of mudholes and waterholes within the trail system that are challenging and fun. But then, you get folks who don't stay on trails, damage a farmer's field, ride down fresh water streams that aren't part of the trail system, and generally rip up areas they aren't supposed to be on. This is the kind of behaviour that causes land owners to close their section of trail. We had two big loops with all sorts of trails in between the outsides of the loops. They were connected by a trail that ran behind a Burger King and out to a railtrail that had great parking on either end. Riders annoyed one landowner on this connector by disobeying the 10 mph limit in this area, opening up their two strokes, and just making a general nuisance of themselves. Guy finally got fed up and closed his section. Now we have to trailer to either section but we can't just ride between the two. This is the kind of thing we have to watch out for and police ourselves. I've seen the good ATV riders can do building bridges that were in need of repair, cutting trees that have fallen across multi-use trails, trash cleanups, etc. All of that hard work can be wiped out by a small number of riders who break the rules.
Well said Moose.

Some people just don't seem to understand that they're riding on somebody else's land. What Scooter is saying above doesn't seem too hard to comprehend, but in most cases these same people have never owned anything in their lives, and they don't to get it that you can't go destroy **** and expect it to be there tomorrow for your personal use.

We all know through basic brain activity when it's safe to rip and when it's not. Bermed sandy trails, for example are made to rip (among other places), river banks and marshes and people's pastures are not. Pretty sure that was the general point MrWonderful.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TreadLightly
Tip of the week:

Now that summer has officially begun (by our definition, not the calendar's)... lets talk sharing and courteous use.

1) Be aware that with very few exceptions, almost all motorized areas are open to the vast majority of other uses. This could mean hikers, equestrians, and of course other riders/drivers in the area. Slow down in tighter areas and where visibility is reduced.
2) Motorized users yield to everyone, everyone yields to equestrians. Stop and say hello to other users if given the opportunity.
3) Use caution around equestrians. While many trail horses are getting more accustomed to vehicular travel, they can still be easily spooked. Stop well ahead of them, and turn off your engine unless waived by. On quads and dirt bikes, stop on the downhill side of the trail, as a horse's instinct with uphill movement is to anticipate a predator.
4) In general, yield to uphill traffic. This is not a rule, it's a guideline. Use common sense please, and most of all be patient. We've all been in situations where its in the best interest of all parties to yield to downhill traffic.

Horses.... Can't stand horse people generally. Funny how they think they're so entitled to extra special terms all the time. If the particular horse can't stand the putter of an ATV it should not be on the trail. I don't shut down and refuse to. I ride slow and pass with care, but I'm not stopping and shutting down for the horse people. Sorry.... Nothing against horses really, other than they're the only mammal that will literally eat itself to death.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FunRide
Horses.... Can't stand horse people generally. Funny how they think they're so entitled to extra special terms all the time. If the particular horse can't stand the putter of an ATV it should not be on the trail. I don't shut down and refuse to. I ride slow and pass with care, but I'm not stopping and shutting down for the horse people. Sorry.... Nothing against horses really, other than they're the only mammal that will literally eat itself to death.
couldn't agree more! if my dog poops in the woods and i don't clean it up, i'm a bad pet owner. horses leave piles everywhere and i get tired of dodging their "trail seasonings"! i stand firm on the belief the only good horse is dog food!

Old 06-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Nothing against horses really, other than they're the only mammal that will literally eat itself to death.
Just proves my theory about a horse's anatomy and my inlaws.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:02 PM
Trailblazer

Happy Monday everyone! (Yes, I know... its a crime to be excited for a Monday, but still.)

Today's Tip of the Week takes on a different form... More of a discussion of the week.

Under the "Do Your Part" principle, we encourage all OHV enthusiasts to be ambassadors to not only the general public, but also within our community. This includes holding our peers accountable and promoting the Tread Lightly! ethic to those who may be unaware or uninterested... So here's the question:

Have you ever approached someone on the trail who was where they shouldn't have been, or doing something that could be considered irresponsible recreation? How did you handle that situation? What was the outcome?

Old 06-06-2011, 05:08 PM
Trailblazer

There are definitely many different types of equestrian riders. I have seen some riders who never seem to be happy no matter how early you shut down, etc. On the other hand, most of the riders i've encountered (Colorado mostly) have been pretty good around the bikes. Especially when i'm approaching from behind them, as long as i'm patient and polite, they seem to wave me past in a fairly short time-frame.

I found this a couple years ago, and would encourage local clubs to do similar types of events. A horse that is accustomed to motors will be less likely to spook and run, which presents the risk to the rider that we're trying to avoid.

Riding Horses with Dirt-bikes: are we crazy? - Red Pony Farm: A journey in motion

Quick Reply: Why Tread Lightly!...?