Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Have a problem with the local Police

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2001, 12:00 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the past week or so the local police have been blocking the trails with spike strips and raiding local riders and conviscating their atvs/dirtbikes. They have also posted an article in the community newspaper saying that dirtbikes and four wheelers are a nuecence and if unless you own a large sum of property or have permission from someone who owns are large lot of private land "do not "buy" or operate these machines" signed Wolcott Police Department. I would like to know what i can do about them? Are they breaking the law in any way? Is it against the law for them to say not to buy atvs? I need some info. please respond and if this happened or is happenning to you please let me know. Thank you

Old 05-18-2001, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

man I dont know about law breaking but that has got to suck bad!!
Who owns the land that the trails are on?
You might try calling the DNR to find other trail areas.

Old 05-18-2001, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me the cops are going way beyond legal ground here. I'm sure the local bike shops will be taking them to court over this.

Old 05-18-2001, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

In most municipalities the police take their marching orders from the city council and the mayor or city manager.

You need to call the Wolcott Mayor's Office and request a copy of the latest city ordinance forbidding the use of ATV's or public right of ways or easements. Chances are the local city council passed an ordinance at a recent council meeting which you are not aware of.

If the City Council has passed no new ordinances in your area, contact your local alderman and ask him/her what's up?

I would then check in the County Clerk and find out if the County Commissioners did this at a recent meeting.

The police could possibly be overstepping their bounds, who knows, ask your Alderman, Commissioner or the Mayor.

Old 05-21-2001, 02:09 AM
Pro Rider

If I am not mistaken, Conneticut is one of a few states with absolutly NO public land for the riding of ATV's. They charge an annual ORV fee and property taxes on them, but DO NOT allow them on state owned land. It's a sorry situation, but a very real one.