Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Please Help Re-open Closed Dunes.. Deadline May 23!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003 | 09:14 PM
Pro Rider
Default Please Help Re-open Closed Dunes.. Deadline May 23!

Thanks for bringing that up duneaddict. I was number 60.

The dunes here are not the best, but they are real fun to ride. And it really could help boost the economy around here. If they did a bit of work to the road it would help tremendously.

I want to thank anyone that takes the 5 minutes and writes a little bit to them. It all helps. Funny thing is that I lived here for a few years before even hearing about the dunes. When I came back here I did not have my quads anymore and had pretty much forgotten about riding. I am glad I found it again, and I am glad there are dunes right here.

Thanks again
bat

Old 05-08-2003 | 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

Just one more thing to note, this area is a very scenic area. I see at least a small pack of wild horses almost everytime I go and of course there is other wildlife around also. I just really enjoy watching the horses.

I was going to say something else and forgot, darnit, getting old I guess.

bat

Old 05-08-2003 | 10:50 PM
Range Rover

heres a copy of the letter I submited, I hope it helps.
I've been hearing about all the fuss about sand dunes and the environment, but if you stop and think about who and what your trying to save. it comes down to your selves, if you have a closed area to atv's orv's it will hurt your communitys ability to support tourisum, and to keep your way of life prospering. the area for orv's was closed to a very small portion of its original size from what I have read. it would be great to come and see/ride the dunes and bring my family to do it with me. the opportunitys to ride a new expance of open country without borders and without the need for sound barriers and police looking over everyones shoulder. this is (last I knew)was country founded on the peoples veiws of what is right and just. it is not founded on the rights of lawyers with agendas. it would be great if the area I lived would use its resources, but sadly the state of Michigan has squandered its true being( the recreation capital of the mid west),it used to be a great place to live and work, it is now run by over bearing polititions who only listen to guy with the most money. it has become a parasite on our state and will be for some time. please don't let your state and its resources go to protect some guy who bought you lunch.

Old 05-09-2003 | 10:45 AM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks so much guys!!! We need all the help we can get to fight the enviro-*****.... and unfortunately Andy Tinney of the Rock Springs BLM is one of them.

Bat is right... these aren't world class dunes, but they aren't bad either... The good dunes are the ones that are closed (Go figure)
I rode out there for years, before even realizing they were closed (Took the sheriff and the airplane to chase me down for a $1,000 fine) as nothing is posted, not even on area BLM maps!!

I'm also involved (Member) with the Blue Ribbon Coalition and have asked for their help in this issue.

Old 05-09-2003 | 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Done - I'm #68.

Also, when I get home from work tonight I will post this on my website and hopefully some of the visitors to my site can make comments as well.

Old 05-09-2003 | 01:12 PM
Pro Rider

E-mail and letter sent #69, What an awsome number, hunnny, hunnnny, where are you?!?!?!?!?!

Old 05-09-2003 | 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

done #71

Old 05-10-2003 | 01:50 AM
Range Rover

Done. #72

Old 05-10-2003 | 10:28 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks to Duneaddict for bringing this up. If we all join together to help each other out - even if we don't live inthe state concerned - that will go a long way towards keeping our riding areas open. My site has this info on it now and hopefully that will get a few people to submit comments.

Old 05-12-2003 | 07:22 AM
Pro Rider

# 75. I have never ridden these dunes, but some of my friends have and have had nothing but good to say about it. I hope to ride there someday.

Quick Reply: Please Help Re-open Closed Dunes.. Deadline May 23!