Land, Trail and Environmental Issues Discuss political and social events effecting where we ride. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum and Sub-Forums stays in these forums.

Please Help Re-open Closed Dunes.. Deadline May 23!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003 | 05:04 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Please Help Re-open Closed Dunes.. Deadline May 23!

Okay guys (and gals)... I need your help!

There is a very nice Sand Dune riding area in SouthWestern Wyoming. Well over 2/3 of the area is closed to off road vehicles due to environmental extremists that convinced the BLM to close the 'fragile' area back in the 80's.
The BLM is currently in the process of an amendment to the area management plan, and are accepting public comment until May 23, 2003
We ALL need to comment to let our voice be heard!
For you out-of-staters.... please let them realize the impacts this would/could have on tourism to the area.

Here's a link to their online comment form: http://www.wy.blm.gov/jmhcap/comments.htm

Here's also a copy of my comments... Feel free to cut and paste, or modify them as you see fit.
They do require a name, address, etc. to validate the comment.

RE: Jack Morrow Hills coordinated activity plan / Green River RMP amendment

To Whom It May Concern:

It is of my opinion that the Green River RMP Amendment definitely needs to include OHV friendly modifications for the Greater Sand Dunes areas.
Back when first introduced, The Green River Resource Management Plan closed the Sand Dunes and Buffalo Humps Wilderness Study Area (WSA) to motorized vehicles. The Sand Dunes and Buffalo Hump Wilderness Study Area’s have long been recognized by academia and the public of being unique and valuable lands. Does this mean they should be off limits to OHVs and public use? NO! Proper management is the key! Not closure!

From Appendix 2 of GREEN RIVER LAND USE PLAN (S) OBJECTIVES AND ACTIONS

Western Portion
SAND-18–The western portion of the Greater Sand Dunes area is bounded on the east by the Sand Dunes WSA boundary and on the west by the Greater Sand Dunes ACEC boundary.

SAND-19–The portion of the area that overlaps the WSAs is closed to OHVs, including over-the-snow vehicles and some mechanized vehicles, to maintain the unique naturalness, solitude, and primitive and unconfined recreational opportunities.

This area is very similar to the St. Anthony WSA in Eastern Idaho, which is also managed by the BLM. I’m looking for some consistency as to how our public lands are being managed!
OHV use is allowed in many Area's of Critical Environmental Concern (ACEC), including the entire Saint Anthony dunes system and WSA designation does not automatically preclude OHV use either. The mandate to the agency is to preserve the wilderness characteristics of a WSA, and OHV use on ever-shifting sands certainly doesn't permanently alter those characteristics.
All evidence of mans intrusions are erased by these ever-shifting sands within a matter of minutes. Excluding over-the-snow vehicles is absolutely ludicrous, as once the snow melts, there is no evidence left behind.

I hold the BLM responsible for PROPERLY managing my public lands, NOT closure!
I would highly recommend this be investigated and changes made accordingly, as to open these closed areas for public OHV use in this amendment.

Sincerely,

Greg Hansen
Thermopolis, Wyoming

Old 05-08-2003 | 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

I'll toss them a letter and an identical e-mail

sent the e-mail and form
coment#56

Old 05-08-2003 | 05:35 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks Bud!!!!!

We'll need all the help we can get! And then some! Really appreciate your time!

Old 05-08-2003 | 05:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I did it and its real easy. Just go to Recreation Resource and add comments. Dont go off, just state your case and demand a review of policy. Thanks!

RoostKing...

Old 05-08-2003 | 06:13 PM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks Roost!
Yep! That's all were asking is for a review for our precious Dunes.

Thanks guys!

Old 05-08-2003 | 07:21 PM
Pro Rider

I have recently become aware of the green river RMP amendment that you are considering in you state for the purpose of reviewing restrictions on the sand dune area located in the south west corner of Wyoming. I feel as though this is a great opportunity for recreational activities in your state and could increase commerce for the merchants in the local area. Many large sand dune areas in other states including Oregon, California, Arizona, and others operate recreational dune areas for off highway vehicles. These events attract a large amout of tourism and some small economies thrive on this business. Most of these areas that require maintainence are cared for by local OHV clubs with agreements with the local BLM. Costs for operating such areas could not be much more than the cost of enforcing the closure of these public lands. I encourage you to take this opportunity to consider the impact on the residents of Wyoming and the tourism that the use of this area will provide.

Thank you for your consideration
SpinCycle... edited name[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Hows that??

Old 05-08-2003 | 07:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Old 05-08-2003 | 07:47 PM
Trailblazer

Done #63

Old 05-08-2003 | 07:55 PM
Royalty Rider

Old 05-08-2003 | 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

#66...

Quick Reply: Please Help Re-open Closed Dunes.. Deadline May 23!