OHV Riders Rights and also Politics This forum is for political and open discussions only. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum stays in this forum.

2020 Moon Landing

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2020 Moon Landing

Just wondering what the current opinions are (either way) about a 2020 moon landing. Are you for it, or against it and why?

There's been some talk of it on the news lately. I belief the cost is estimated at ~120 Billion....so figure the actual cost is going to be ~200 Billion or more.

Personally, I think it would be a great thing for our country for a lot of reasons, but 120 Billion! Not sure this is the best use of our cash considering our current situation and level of debt. We'd have to borrow the money to do it, then pay interest on it.

Do you moth-ball it.....Let it keep going a little bit......Give it full funding with top priority.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

I suppose we could just borrow more money from China to do it.

I would like to think there may be a few more things within the US that need attention, and money before that is done.

But then again, maybe the movie studio they used in the 60's is still available, and at a bargain price.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll believe it when I see it........ at this rate America won't have the money to buy the fuel for such a trip.

Old 05-07-2009, 02:04 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ss97
I'll believe it when I see it........ at this rate America won't have the money to buy the fuel for such a trip.
I don't think we'll be able to afford passing gas with the new carbon offsets... A trip to the moon...

Old 05-07-2009, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider

Just so everybody is clear.....I'm referring to the costs (proposed budgets) involved with development and testing. Do you keep feeding it, or do you shut it down? This is one of NASAs top projects, they've been working on it for years now (not a new project). It does sound pretty cool how they're going to try and do it this time.....but man, big bucks. -Pretty sure they have a lot invested in it already. Would be a bummer to kill it, but you have to draw the line somewhere.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:18 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Didnt I read somewhere the Chinese want to take a trip to the moon? Maybe we build the ship and they pay for the gas?

Much better than they build the ship and we pay for gas...

As for the original question Id say scrap it...We dont have the money for it and may not for a few years(decades)...

Old 05-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FunRide
Just so everybody is clear.....I'm referring to the costs (proposed budgets) involved with development and testing. Do you keep feeding it, or do you shut it down? This is one of NASAs top projects, they've been working on it for years now (not a new project). It does sound pretty cool how they're going to try and do it this time.....but man, big bucks. -Pretty sure they have a lot invested in it already. Would be a bummer to kill it, but you have to draw the line somewhere.
What does it matter? Do you actually think that if they stop feeding it, that they would use the money saved for something good?

Take a look sometime at the "Black Budget" and see how much money goes into it.....you know where that money comes from? Mostly from projects like this that either never come to fruition or end up costing 10-times what they said it was going to cost.......

NASA projects are notoriously filled with extra empty dollars like $4,000 nuts and bolts, and $25,000 O-rings....etc....etc.....etc......

All of that trickles into the "Black Budget" ...... and we are not even allowed to know what they money is spent on...not even the GAO gets to see that balance sheet. It is complete and total theft of our tax dollars, and because of a bloated umbrella of "National Security" they can refuse to tell us anything they want.......

Its easy to blame Obama for his ridiculous spending, but that is because we can see it right in the open..... Take a look sometime at what Bush I, and Bush II approved for the old BB.......Clinton and Reagan too spent trillions on "Black Budget" projects that they themselves were not even allowed to know about......

Its easy to look at the surface and never see what is just below it.......

Old 05-08-2009, 10:02 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

Its easy to look at the surface and never see what is just below it.......
A good magician knows how to make you look away from the trick.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:04 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Can.t cost anymore than all these earth hugging boring shuttle joy rides they do now. I know the States have been to the moon in the 60s but some new clear colored pctures would be nice for the people who not born the last time they were on the moon.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:22 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!

For all the money that was spent on it the first couple of times, what did we really get out of it? Some rocks? Heck, I got rocks in my yard I'll sell em.

Ok, we did get the "In your face!" to the Soviet Union.

I guess I just like Reagan and his idea of the Star Wars technology. I'd rather see the money spent on that. Heck, even our allies were afraid of that.

Quick Reply: 2020 Moon Landing