OHV Riders Rights and also Politics This forum is for political and open discussions only. Do not enter here unless you are willing to disagree with the statements made. What happens in this forum stays in this forum.

Latest Blunder? I hope not!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latest Blunder? I hope not!

Well Obama is pulling the plug on the missile defense system in Europe. This would have been a long range system that would have not only protected Europe but potentially the U.S. as well. Obama is scrapping that program for a Navel, (ship based) and much shorter range missile defense. Russia was very much against the long range program as it threatened their capability's to launch a successful strike in the region.
Obama is killing the program just before a meeting with the Russian government and clearly making concessions before the meeting even starts!
The pentagon IS backing his decision but I and many others still have grave reservations about it.
I believe we should have both options available to us and not limit our capability's!
What do you think of this?Another blunder, or not?

Old 09-18-2009, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I, personally, think it would have been better to have land based systems too. The idea with the naval based system is that the ship can go anywhere in the world there is trouble brewing and put the system to bear in the needed region. To tie up a ship or ships in the Persian Gulf may not be as effective and hopefully will not keep ships out of the Pacific where China is rattling their sabers.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:39 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Teddy Roosevelt said "Speak softly and carry a big stick"
Obama is more like: Talk a lot and carry a wet noddle!

Old 09-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!

I think this decision makes Obama look like a weak fool to the rest of the world.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Poland and the Czech Republic are not too happy right now. We could have gained a greater pool of allies but...

Old 09-19-2009, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

We all need to remember that the ramifications of the decisions Obama makes now will last long past his term in office. I would rather err on the side of security rather than on the side of economic frugality. Why would Obama suddenly be concerned with spending less now? It seems to me that the missile program would be a much wiser program than most, if not all, of the things he has spent billions on so far! i.e. cash for clunkers!

Old 09-19-2009, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Red400EXRod
I think this decision makes Obama look like a weak fool to the rest of the world.
You think he makes this decision on his own without lots of input from Joint Chiefs, and major US Generals? Sorry, but your opinion on top secret national security matters that you have no access to, doesn't mean much. But you're certainly welcome to voice it.

"Economic Frugality" Rancher? Aren't you talkin' about the National Debt all the time. Now he's wrong for reducing costs and changing a system that doesn't protect us from N. Korea and Iran. Whatever you say.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates: “Those who say we are scrapping missile defense in Europe are either misinformed or misrepresenting the reality of what we are doing. The security of Europe has been a vital national interest of the United States for my entire career. The circumstances, borders and threats may have changed, but that commitment continues.”

Old 09-19-2009, 04:29 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!

Originally Posted by FunRide
You think he makes this decision on his own without lots of input from Joint Chiefs, and major US Generals? Sorry, but your opinion on top secret national security matters that you have no access to, doesn't mean much. But you're certainly welcome to voice it.
I made my opinion on what I think it makes Obama appear to the rest of the world, not on top secret security matters.
And do you think your opinions on anything mean much?

Old 09-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Red400EXRod
And do you think your opinions on anything mean much?
My opinion was only that your opinion doesn't mean much, that's all I was saying.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:02 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!

Originally Posted by FunRide
My opinion was only that your opinion doesn't mean much, that's all I was saying.
You mean my opinion doesn't mean much to you.
Likewise.

Quick Reply: Latest Blunder? I hope not!